Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
So what is bad about having more residents? Miami is already one of the most densely populated cities in the US and it's population rose from 362,000 residents in 2000 to 399,000 according to the 2010 US Census and the latest Census estimates puts the population of the city at 411,000 now.
More residents living in the city , especially wealthy condo buyers increase the tax base & contribute to the local economy.
Agreed! Miami has a long way to go before it is even close to overcrowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
What is bad? You seriously are not aware of the current problems that we are facing. Our infrastructure is currently maxed out and in some cases inadequate as it is. We don't have enough mass transit, our sewage treatment plants are inadequate to handle the amount of daily sh*t, fresh water plants are maxed out, FPL is also close to being maxed out and will be adding two more NUCLEAR REACTORS that don't get built overnight and is having problems with power distribution since Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay don't want the new feed going along US1 and into Downtown Miami, no one else wants it going through their neighborhood either, roads and expressways are not adequate for the amount of daily traffic even after all of the construction is completed, the Port of Miami Tunnel won't make things much better, and Police, Fire and all other government services won't be able to keep up with the rapid growth, and crime will certainly go up. Yes, more residents increase the tax base but they also use government services so we are back to square one. Growth got us into a lot of the problems that we are facing and I doubt that more growth will get us out of them.
First of all you can't stop people from moving to Miami. Secondly highrises/skyscrapers are a more efficent use of land since you are basically allowing more people to live on a smaller footprint of land. Which do you prefer? 1000 residents living vertically in a highrise or 1000 residents sprawled out in suburban single family homes subdivisions requiring new roads, sewer connections, etc.?
Most of the issues you mentioned regarding infrastructure has more to do with with low density suburban sprawl than having more highrises especially in the core of the city.
Miami Dade county added almost 300,000 new residents between 2000 & 2010 and with the county running out of land (unless they move the Urban Growth boundary line) expect to see more highrises being built to accomadate new residents.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Agreed! Miami has a long way to go before it is even close to overcrowded.
If it is still not overcrowded than why does it take half an hour or more to go anywhere. What about the minimally treated sh*t that gets dumped in the ocean because the amount is to much to keep up with. What about water wells having to go deeper and deeper because of the lower water table. More nuclear reactors to keep up with growth are not a concern of yours. Growth impact on the everglades national park and biscayne national park. Hurricane evacuations is another big one to think about.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
First of all you can't stop people from moving to Miami. Secondly highrises/skyscrapers are a more efficent use of land since you are basically allowing more people to live on a smaller footprint of land. Which do you prefer? 1000 residents living vertically in a highrise or 1000 residents sprawled out in suburban single family homes subdivisions requiring new roads, sewer connections, etc.?
Most of the issues you mentioned regarding infrastructure has more to do with with low density suburban sprawl than having more highrises especially in the core of the city.
Miami Dade county added almost 300,000 new residents between 2000 & 2010 and with the county running out of land (unless they move the Urban Growth boundary line) expect to see more highrises being built to accomadate new residents.
You are right highrises are more efficient in some ways but those people still drive, use electricity, need fire/ambulance (they are not healthier, fire proof or accident proof) and police (they are not immune to crime or emergencies) services from time to time and they don't sh*t less than people that live in single family homes. What about hurricane evacuations, most of the high density is close to the coast.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
What about hurricane evacuations? Most highrises can withstand hurricanes. Miami isn't the only city with highrises that gets hit with hurricanes. Just look at how many Asian cities with highrises get hit with Typhoons every year.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
What about hurricane evacuations? Most highrises can withstand hurricanes. Miami isn't the only city with highrises that gets hit with hurricanes. Just look at how many Asian cities with highrises get hit with Typhoons every year.
True, but then why do they sometimes have mandatory evacuations.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
You are right highrises are more efficient in some ways but those people still drive, use electricity, need fire/ambulance (they are not healthier, fire proof or accident proof) and police (they are not immune to crime or emergencies) services from time to time and they don't sh*t less than people that live in single family homes. What about hurricane evacuations, most of the high density is close to the coast.

I don't believe what I just read there, however I do see your smiley

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I guess the main difference is that our high rises are right on the coast, but in many Asian cities they're inland or behind mountains. I've heard engineers say if something like Andrew hit the older generation of high rises along the coast, such as in Hallandale Beach, you'd see many of them gutted and needing to be torn down afterwards. I remember this happened with one of the high rises in Palm Beach, from Wilma (which was nothing close to an Andrew...). The newer ones, especially built after Wilma, would have mainly cosmetic damage.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If it is still not overcrowded than why does it take half an hour or more to go anywhere.
Because you live far from everything, that's why. I live in one of the most traffic-congested parts of the County, It takes me a 10 minute drive (or half hour WALK) to most places.
You can live in rural Michigan, it'll still take you half an hour to get anywhere. Hardly crowded, IMO.
Quote:
What about the minimally treated sh*t that gets dumped in the ocean because the amount is to much to keep up with.
Are you saying that no city the size of Miami or larger has good sewer treatment? I seriously doubt this.
Quote:
What about water wells having to go deeper and deeper because of the lower water table.
This is not because of the water table, it's due to salt water intrusion. However, it is the most legitimate concern you bring up, and I agree it's going to be a serious problem in the next 10-20 years, especially if global warming hawks are right and sea level rise accelerates. I'd add sinkholes in the western suburbs to this as well.
Quote:
More nuclear reactors to keep up with growth are not a concern of yours. Growth impact on the everglades national park and biscayne national park. Hurricane evacuations is another big one to think about.
These are valid concerns, but they're concerns of population growth in general, not necessarily overcrowding. If our population was only 100K, you could legitimately bring up the same concerns.

To each his own, but most people who have spent time in large cities wouldn't consider Miami to be overcrowded. Tokyo, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Mexico City, now those places are overcrowded...

Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This is not because of the water table, it's due to salt water intrusion. However, it is the most legitimate concern you bring up, and I agree it's going to be a serious problem in the next 10-20 years, especially if global warming hawks are right and sea level rise accelerates. I'd add sinkholes in the western suburbs to this as well.
Your are right it could bring the potential of sinkholes like in central Florida.

Quote:
To each his own, but most people who have spent time in large cities wouldn't consider Miami to be overcrowded. Tokyo, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Mexico City, now those places are overcrowded...
True, but for me it has been a real change since I have lived here all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami