Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times

Advertisements

What do YOU consider the poverty level for individuals/families? I think it is 40,000.00 per year for individuals and 60,000.00 a year for families. Remember, this is for NEW residents, not those of us who were here pre-bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What do YOU consider the poverty level for individuals/families? I think it is 40,000.00 per year for individuals and 60,000.00 a year for families. Remember, this is for NEW residents, not those of us who were here pre-bubble.
Hmm....I would agree. I mean I make $36k per year and can take care of the basics...and that's about it. Because I'm single....my take home pay is actually sub 30k. My car is paid for (so I don't have an auto loan). I got it while still in college. I don't see how I could get a new one without doing "bill juggling" (skipping a bill here, this month, skipping another next month).

What is also impossible is saving any amount. I have a savings account.....but I use it mainly to put things away for big purchases; like furniture and electronics. True, those purchases can only happen once a year.

I'm not the best money manager in the world...but I have these issues and and don't even have any dependents! So yeah, I guess 40K would be "poverty" level. If you consider "poverty" to be having less than $250 of disposable cash per month. Which is what I operate off of.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 24,191 times
Quote:
Yep, sounds about right. You can't afford to buy anything major (cars or houses) on these salaries. Renting a place will be about $1000/mo if you're single and about $2000/mo for a family, or annually roughly 1/3 of your after-tax income. Yikes. Why anyone would want to get started down here is beyond my comprehension.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Quote:
I would say thats about right for an individual, but push it to 80 thousand for a family. You have to realize anywhere where a family can survive on 60 thousand is going to be living a beyond substandard life.

Here is why I say that. Let's look at a town that has acceptable schools and is somewhat safe, and see what a person making 60 thousand dollars a year can buy using the 3x income rule.

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

It buys a doublewide off the interstate.

80k makes more sense.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Hmm....I would agree. I mean I make $36k per year and can take care of the basics...and that's about it. Because I'm single....my take home pay is actually sub 30k. My car is paid for (so I don't have an auto loan). I got it while still in college. I don't see how I could get a new one without doing "bill juggling" (skipping a bill here, this month, skipping another next month).

What is also impossible is saving any amount. I have a savings account.....but I use it mainly to put things away for big purchases; like furniture and electronics. True, those purchases can only happen once a year.

I'm not the best money manager in the world...but I have these issues and and don't even have any dependents! So yeah, I guess 40K would be "poverty" level. If you consider "poverty" to be having less than $250 of disposable cash per month. Which is what I operate off of.
Before I moved away I pretty much was in the same situation you are. Car was paid for, ~$35K before taxes, health insurance and my 401k came out. Actual take-home was probably closer to $28k or less. I had no choice but to live with a roommate and was somehow able to save a little bit, but I couldn't just go out and buy a new outfit if I needed to without foregoing some savings. I am pretty good at managing my money and am willing to sacrifice some things for what I consider more important goals. I don't know how people with incomes under $40k who like to keep up with the Jones' keep their heads above water in Miami.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 37,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I don't know how people with incomes under $40k who like to keep up with the Jones' keep their heads above water in Miami.
Those people are probably drowning in credit card debt

Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
[quote=jrv210;1718434]Those people are probably drowning in credit card debt[/quotea]

Nah....my credit card debt is around $300.

The trick is to not live above your means. Although it is very, very rare to see such a thing happen in South Florida.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Average salary in Palm Beach County is around $35-40K, that's before taxes/deductions. Apparently the average employer here thinks that $10-14HR is good wages to offer experienced people. Just look in the help wanted section.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
yep

i luv s florida, but i just dont know how i could afford it!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 PM

94 posts, read 134,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

I went to college in NY and girl who was an "exotic dancer" I knew who moved from Miami told me " In NY you strip to pay for college in Miami you strip as a second job even if you have a college degree to survive"
Lol ofcourse its just a goof to make a point I dont think she meant it though having lived here awhile I am now inclined to agree lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: