Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

I don't go through northwestern Miami-Dade county much, but today I had to pick up something at MDC north campus. Sad to say that even with all the money inflating real estate in Miami, the entire trip from the palmetto to MDC is a prime example of the ugliness of Miami-Dade county. Those run-down 70's apartments/condos and the treeless neighborhoods are so incredibly depressing! I still can't believe how bad it is. Once in the college it looks better but all around it is pure third world ambiance. The strange thing is that in one section of Opa-Locka there are some homes with trees and grass and it still looks better than Hialeah, with concrete yards, white iron fences and 20 cars in the yard. Another miserable route is NW 7'th avenue from the 826 to 27 ave. Funny to see new bubble condos with a view of what looks like Port-AU-Prince.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM

23 posts, read 82,140 times
I know what you mean I go to FIU and the FIU campus is beautiful but the surrounding area is very depressing.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM

110 posts, read 438,677 times
yeah and this is what has been bothering you last couple of days. yeah its ugly so get over it. every city has ugly side so miami does it too. now you discovered the South Beach!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
Miami has more ugly sides than any other city I have visited in the nation. Even South Beach is ugly, all it has are old art decco buildings with neon lights and loud music blasting all night long.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Miami has more ugly sides than any other city I have visited in the nation. Even South Beach is ugly, all it has are old art decco buildings with neon lights and loud music blasting all night long.
I wouldn't consider that ugly...

Hialeah, on the other hand

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonlyAmericanleft View Post
I know what you mean I go to FIU and the FIU campus is beautiful but the surrounding area is very depressing.
North or south campus? The south (University park) campus is nice, and I like that the youth fair grounds are there. I was there today as well. and was suprised to see someone practicing wheelies with his quad atv and soccer games going on. But sweetwater is so ugly it's amazing. There's a whole bunch of 80's townhomes and apartments to the east of the campus. There's a nice area south of FIU but it is being redeveloped to be even more dense and ugly. Realistically, no metro area besides New Orleans seems to be as unattractive as most of Miami-Dade. .

Old 10-14-2007, 12:48 AM

159 posts, read 803,704 times
North Dade is more or less ugly, but you know what? To me, it's home. I wouldn't have it any other way. =]

Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Tallrick, when you were at MDC North, did you go to the couth perimeter of the parking lot by the stadium? I used to commete from the Palmetto down 49th St in order to get to MDC...and one day I thought I would look for a shortcut, so I left the campus going to 103rd st, but I turned right before the canal, thinking there might be a bridge to cross it farther down (there wasn't). In any event, I saw the backyard of the homes along the canal, and yes, they did look like something out of Port Au Price. There was discarded appliances and furniture thrown on the banks of the canals, people had tin rooves covering parts of the bakyards, garbage was everywhere...the homes were run down...it looked horrible. So, the main streets look relatively tame compared to the back roads!

We should make another thread of Miami's best 3rd World Routes. Another scary drive is along the Miami Rives, I think it is called Northwest North RIver Drive. The stretch from the Jai Alai down to 27 Ave. It is full of chop shops and scrap metal yards, with occasional boat yards and of course those ever present half million bubble condos thrown in as this must be yet another "up and coming" area lol. Right under the flight path from MIA though...so the planes are especially low and load here.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 PM

53 posts, read 416,085 times
Yes Miami is uuuuggglleeeeeeee!!!
The nicest part of Miami is when you out on the water away from the actual concrete jungle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami