Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times

Advertisements

Is it for safety reasons? Maybe they are not that strong against hurricanes? are they more expensive to come by? do they take more time to grow....? consumer more water?

What's the main reason?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Slash_pine.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Because they're ugly?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Because they're ugly?
Are you kidding me? That's one of the things I enjoy seeing whenever I get out of South Florida,it seems like the more north you go in Florida and into the other southern states the more you see them.Miami Dade barely has any as they were probably knocked down by developers to build ugly shopping centers or homes,not that I think all shopping centers and homes are ugly but at least down here in Miami it seems like 80% are built so that in 5 years they start looking like Hialeah,ugly construction,barren without a tree in sight.I actually saw the other day what appeared to be some of these small pine trees planted on US 1 by Pinecrest,at least somebody has good taste.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Are you kidding me? That's one of the things I enjoy seeing whenever I get out of South Florida,it seems like the more north you go in Florida and into the other southern states the more you see them.Miami Dade barely has any as they were probably knocked down by developers to build ugly shopping centers or homes,not that I think all shopping centers and homes are ugly but at least down here in Miami it seems like 80% are built so that in 5 years they start looking like Hialeah,ugly construction,barren without a tree in sight.I actually saw the other day what appeared to be some of these small pine trees planted on US 1 by Pinecrest,at least somebody has good taste.
They should plant those trees in all the SoFla cities with "Pine" in their names. But South Florida has a climate that's condusive for growing tropical plants. Anytime you live in that type of climate, you gotta take full advantage of it. There's too much water and fertile soil for people to stop growing Palms. I think they should mix the Pines and the Palms. You don't want too much of that species of Pine, because that species pretty much blankets much of the Southeast and you want to keep South Florida unique. Why look like everywhere else in the South?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Because they're ugly?
Hhahahahhahaha....LOLZ ><

They have the looks only a mom would love

As Miamians we are the mothers, let's behave more motherly like.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Most people in Miami prefer non-native palms thinking they are native when in fact trees like the slash pine are native. Another reason why you don't see them being planted more is because people fear deciduous trees and pine trees because of hurricanes. Instead they should consider the advantages that they bring. Hopefully things will change through education and with the tree program that Miami-Dade County currently has.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
This mother doesn't love them! LOL!

As Polo said, pine already covers a vast majority of the south. Although they are native to Miami too, since Miami is capable of growing other varities of trees and plants that those other areas in the south are not capable of, I too agree that Miami should continue with the trend of palms and leave the pine to those incapable of growing palm. (Bad sentence but you get my point!)

And I'll add, after you've been inundated with pine you'll be begging to go back to palms. Pines are constantly dropping their needles, plus sap. They're a big mess.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Why not just combined them with the palms? Just but plant them, along side with the money makers(palms). So much of the South(including Florida) is already covered in Pines. Why not keep Miami unique? What's next? Build more brick buildings? I never got why people don't like when they plant non-native palms in cities like Miami and LA. If you can grow them, then grow them. Take advantage of the soil and climate.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 AM

We definetly need to build more highrises though :P (but that's another topic lol)

I wouldn't go near to this tree at night though, it looks terrifying... but I think it'd be cool to have parks filled with these trees.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I love the Dade Co. pine...Pinus elliottii var. densa....but, for some unknown reason, they don't grow well outside of their normal, rockland habitat. They often suffer from nutritional deficencies and other unknown problems. They are sensitive to root damage, do not like competition from other trees, etc. I would love to see these everywhere, but often, after the first 2-3 years of being planted....they go downhill. Some people believe they require a specific type of mycorrhizae (sp.) in the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami