Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,616 times

Advertisements

Some idiot ran a stop sign totaled my car and i've been going to a chiropractor for back and shoulder pain.
Now i got a jury duty letter can i be excused for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Sorry about your accident. Hope you get better soon.

To help you better Which court? Federal or County?

And not to sound condescending, but reading the jury duty notice will give you the instructions and valid reasons for an excuse. Typically, your first summons for County/State court you can get a continuance, there are instructions on how to do this.

Otherwise, you will most likely need a Doctor's note excusing you -

Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM

I am getting better and thank you. It is dade county courthouse on Flager. Sometimes things are done differently down here. eg someone running a stop sign and not getting a ticket because the cop did not witness the accident.

I just want to hear from people who have gone through this that all....first hand info that is...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Sorry to hear about your accident. Read the form, it will have all the information you will need. I know you can postpone your service, but you have to give them a date that you'll show up. So you can say I'll be there in December. Check and see if a doctors note will get you out of it.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Just call and ask. Sometimes they can be a real pain though. When I was in college and NOT living in Miami I got jury duty and they kept calling me asking me when I was coming. I kept telling them I don't live there right now. The guy wanted the exact date I was going to be back. I finally got a date to them. It's an important thing to do but sometimes you just can't make it. Anyway a note from a doctor so suffice but they might tell you to call back in 3 months and reschedule. Most of the time unless it will be painful or bad for your health to do it just get it over with and you don't have to go for at least another two years I think.

It is also a very important part of our justice system.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
I am getting better and thank you. It is dade county courthouse on Flager. Sometimes things are done differently down here. eg someone running a stop sign and not getting a ticket because the cop did not witness the accident.

I just want to hear from people who have gone through this that all....first hand info that is...
OK, that is Civil Court. Yes, you need a date that you will show up -

As for your accident you are confusing the two parts of the accident. The first part is the officer represents the State of Florida (DHSMV). The ticket to either (or both) has no bearing on the civil part of the accident, which is your damages and injuries. In fact, the traffic ticket is not admissible in civil court. The officer has the discretion on whether to issue a ticket or not. The Officer cannot testify at the TICKET hearing if s/he did not witness the accident.

Florida is a no fault State anyways, which means you get to start at your insurance company. In order to even drive in Florida with a Florida Driver's license, you need at least PIP/PD insurance which covers the first $10k of your injuries and the other driver's or property owners damage up to the limit of the policy you bought. Minimum property I believe is $20k. (I have 100/300) The remaining you get to fight out with the insurance company and/or the other driver if they are un or underinsured - unless you have that coverage on your policy. As you can see it gets really complicated, really fast -- so I will stop. There are tons of rules and if you are that injured you might want to seek an attorney...

I am not one - so don't take my comments as legal advice... Just my personal experience.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Thank you all i will send the summon with doc report back to them. I hope i get excused cause i am in pain.

In couple of years i hope to have a new screen name MiamitoNC :-), not possible now.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM

25 posts, read 46,124 times
Typical -- someone who is unhappy living in Miami so they blame the city for every negative factor in their life. Cops do not assign fault (insurance companies do), and do not generally give tickets unless there is a compelling reason for them to believe that somebody broke a law (ie, they saw it). When you escape back to NC you'll find that it's the same there

Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiATR View Post
Typical -- someone who is unhappy living in Miami so they blame the city for every negative factor in their life. Cops do not assign fault (insurance companies do), and do not generally give tickets unless there is a compelling reason for them to believe that somebody broke a law (ie, they saw it). When you escape back to NC you'll find that it's the same there
I will not waste my time commenting on this...It is good that you like Miami some people need to remain behind.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Thank you all i will send the summon with doc report back to them. I hope i get excused cause i am in pain.

In couple of years i hope to have a new screen name MiamitoNC :-), not possible now.
I would imagine the doc report should be good enough. They might tell you to report back in a few months or something. It is annoying but really it is a good thing they take jury duty very seriously.

Quote:

It would not be ok for a cop to give a ticket to someone if it is not obvious what happened. That ticket would get thrown out in court in an instant. It's ok if a cop gives a ticket to someone who rear ends you because it is obvious you were following too closely. But without witnesses, a camera or seeing it him/her self a cop should not give a ticket to someone for running a stop sign or running a red light. That is just using poor judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami