Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,446 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate college. I've been living in Los Angeles all my life, and it's time for an adventure.

My boyfriend has high credentials in Aviation, and we're looking to buy our first house in Florida.

(Two professional young adults, no kids, just small puppies)

I love South Beach for the nightlife, but we would rather make the small drive to party on the weekends and still be able to live in peace and safety during the week.

I find North Beach a little dodgy.

I like the quieter feel of Sunny Isles but find it a bit lackluster.

I have never been on the West side (Pensacola, etc.), so I'm clueless as to how things are running there.

What would have both the liveliness of South Beach and the safety of Sunny Isles Beach?

Which neighborhoods should we be looking at?

Requirements:
COASTAL
The safety equivalent of beach towns in Southern California (low crime, decent cars and homes, lots of joggers and dog walking)
Entertainment (abundant in thriving restaurants, shopping, some local nightlife)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
Have you considered SoFi? Still South Beach but that consists of everything south of fifth. It's very quiet, residential but is still a stones throw from the action.

Surfside would also work but really I don't recommend that for 20 somethings.

Pensacola as in Pensacola, FL?! LOL! No, unless you want to party with the rednecks in the middle of a mud bog you're better off staying away from the little yokel towns of NoFla. They don't call it the Redneck Riviera for nothin!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Do you need a house or is a condo ok? A price range would really help us give you good options.

As the above response says condos below 5th street in Miami Beach are a bit more relaxed. Traffic isn't bad in that small part of the island and its most residential but you are so close to the resturants, clubs and bars.

Another condo spot would be Brickell. Walk to plenty of bars and resturants. Lots and lots of young professionals and students.

Those would be my two top choices but those are condo choices.

There are some home choices I could give you but the majority of them are in some fairly expensive areas. The problem with your criteria is you want a SoCal type beach town which is usually not that close to the city, but you also want Miami's entertainment near by. Brickell and South Beach are safe areas but if you want a house in a safe neighborhood that is ALSO close to the city that will cost you some $$$$$
What is close to entertainment for you? 10min drive? 30min drive? 10min walk?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,296 times
I think Aventura , FL would be a good fit for you. It is away from everything (downtown / miami beach), but there if u need it.

and close to other parts of so fl, such as ft lauderdale, bal harbour, etc. More of a suburban style setting and close to Aventura Mall.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,197 times
Another vote for SoFi, but no houses there, just condos, many of them lo-rise. Knowing the budget would help. Also, where will you be working?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,446 times
I haven't familiarized with Miami's real estate condition at present,

but our budget, as gathered from Los Angeles cost,
would be in a range near 250k for a condo and up to 600k for a home.

A commute to work is not a problem; it's the location of residence that we prioritize.

How does Fort Lauderdale area compare to Miami-Dade county? Cheaper? Safer?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
Why do you have such a drastic difference between the price you're willing to pay for a condo and the price you're willing to pay for a single family home? Condos and homes in Miami are relatively equal in price in most desirable areas.

I suggest if you are very unfamiliar with the Miami market you come over and rent for a while. The last thing you want is to make a bad decision when it comes to real estate. It's true all places, but especially in Miami- location, location, location, rules all and will dictate your quality of life and how you view Miami.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Agreeed with above. The price difference e between a condo and home doesn't make much sense. If you are willing to spend 600k on a home why not spend 500k on a condo. 600k won't get you right near Miami or Miami Beach for the safest neighborhoods but 600k is certainly something to work with. Plenty of nice suburbs where 600k will get you a nice home. The thing is do you want a suburb?

You could also get a large 2 bedroom and maybe even 3 bedroom condo for 600k in downtown/brickell with nice views. In Miami Beach or on the beach a 2 bedroom can be found for $600k I think. To give you an example of Miami prices a 534sq ft studio with great ocean views in Hollywood FL is $200k a 750sq ft loft in downtown will be a bit over $200k with decent views.

As for is Ft. Lauderdale better. It is usually cheaper but not much safer if at all. Also does your boyfriend have a job lined up already? Will he be working at one of the airports? Commutes can be pretty bad and if he works at Miami International Airport there is a metrorail stop which could make living downtown/Brickell a big plus.

I would also highly reccomend renting for a year. You will get to know the city and figure out where you want to live.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 AM

984 posts, read 4,314,480 times
I'd probably recommend the Mid-Beach area of Mia. Beach - that's the area off Julia Tuttle Cswy, between - obviously - SoBe and North Beach. It's a mostly residential area, very nice and safe, lots of bldgs. and houses, and also stuff like Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, and other stuff that's useful to have nearby day-to-day. But I do not know how expensive it is, but I believe some (or a few) places are within your budget. There's also Surfside and Bay Harbor Islands - but it's mostly similar to Sunny Isles, only nearer to SoBe and Downtown.

Also, like people well said, definitely try to rent for a year first so that you get to know the city better, its neighborhoods and the actual vibe of them and which would be really best for you.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Rent a small place near your place of employment and then get to know the city on your free time for a year before selecting where to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami