Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
I totally agree she was very disrespectful. The judge should have given her 30 days + 30 days community service. Who is raising these kids?
Jail time won't do anything to change her, it will only make her harder. I'm more for community service than jail time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
What do you mean having to go to a lawyer for justice? All people have the right to represent themselves or in criminal court have a lawyer at no charge.
They are only appointed a lawyer if they cannot afford one themselves which is what the judge was asking her. The public defender was saying he would take the case but the judge said no, she has the means to pay for it herself (after the jewelry bit.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times
I just posted in the True Crime forum that Soto apologized to the judge and he threw out the $10,000 bond and the 30-day sentence.

//www.city-data.com/forum/true-...l#post28157004

She was still high on Xanax and alcohol during the first hearing.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
What do you mean having to go to a lawyer for justice? All people have the right to represent themselves or in criminal court have a lawyer at no charge.

The justice system is a closed loop of lawyers. The judge, prosecutor and defense are all lawyers. I would like to see legal reform where an open source computer database throws out frivolous cases and an end to drug prohibition that fills the jails. Drug addicts should be punished only if they are under the influence around others or are endangering someone. I support mandatory treatment for anyone addicted and unable to support themselves.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM

195 posts, read 350,311 times
I guess jail was not as much fun, maybe her jailmates didn't have funny accents.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Judges hate when people represent themselves. They turn them into a laughing stock. They do not let them speak and present their case and they talk and make jokes while the accused is trying to express their thoughts.

Tallrick is right, the justice system is a closed loop of lawyers made up of judges, prosecutors, and defense. They all work together to make money and drag cases on forever.

I also have lost faith and hope for the justice system.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
She looked like she meant her apology. I hope she takes her second chance and changes whatever she needs to change. So sad when kids see themselves as having little or no worth and disrespect themselves and others because of it.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
^^^ I also think she meant her apology. She wasn't acting like herself the first time. She was on drugs and that clearly had an influence in her behavior. That is why I don't feel that the judge should have given her the 30 days in jail. She just wasn't capable of any reasoning. The 30 days in jail would have done little to help her. Hopefully she gets the help she needs. She is only 18, just starting life and is already on the wrong path and like her there are many other teens.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
She was acting like a fool but the judge did not need to say "bye-bye" in such a condesending way. On a side note, when I first saw this video on youtube I knew it had to be a Miami court room from the Cubana accent and the Rick Ross reference lol.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post

Tallrick is right, the justice system is a closed loop of lawyers made up of judges, prosecutors, and defense. They all work together to make money and drag cases on forever.
Right..... You mean the judges on a fix state salary and those prosecutors making a whole $40k a year. It's all about the money

The only people in it for money are private bar defense attorneys. Everyone else is making the same money no matter what. And in the case of public defenders and prosecutors way too little money for the job they do.

The system has problems but I will take our system over most countries.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
In life, you'll meet many condescending people with attitudes. By the time you're 18, you should've learned your lesson about when it's appropriate to mouth off. The courtroom isn't one of those places. Most of the time you did something wrong that put you in that courtroom and you have to take what they dish out, unless it's something illegal. Talking to you in a condescending way isn't illegal. I believe the judge adopted that attitude after she bragged about all her jewelry. She was acting like a spoiled brat. I'm not familiar with how that drug makes you act. She seemed coherent to me, just bratty. I guess Xanax turns people into spoiled, mouthy brats? I don't get the fun in that, but what do I know? I think twice before taking Excedrin when I have a headache.

I hope she was sincere in her apology. She did seem to be. And hopefully she'll realize the bad decisions she's making and learn and grow from her mistakes.

About condescending people in authority - I feel the best defense is returning the condescension with extreme politeness. My husband and I were at a yard sale a few years ago when an elderly gentleman backed his car into ours. We had to call the police to report the accident. The cop that came was extremely condescending. He went on and on about how low people are who go to yard sales and the bad element it brings into neighborhoods and they should outlaw people having them. The poor man was with his grandchildren while this cop went on and on humiliating him. So embarrassing. Completely uncalled for because no one was being rude or argumentative. We just needed the report for the insurance. Our tax dollars hard at work! There are just some people who have no business being in a field where you are supposed to be serving the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: