Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM

105 posts, read 250,022 times

Advertisements

I have been here 5 yrs. I actually like it a lot. I'm from midwest. I did notice the people are a little diff down here tho. It's like I have a whole bunch of aqcuaintances as opposed to more intimate friendships up in the Midwest. Anybody else know what I'm talkn bout???

The other thing that seems weird down here is that there aren't too many good jobs if im not mistaken....Its like the majority of pple have some service job.

Anybody else know what i'm sayin???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Yes, your observations are spot on and they are some of the things that I don't like about living here.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I have been here five years. I actually like it a lot. I'm from the midwest. I did notice the people are a little different down here though. It's like I have a whole bunch of acquaintances as opposed to more intimate friendships up in the Midwest. Anybody else know what I'm talking about???

The other thing that seems weird down here is that there aren't too many good jobs if I'm not mistaken .... It's like the majority of people have some service job.

Anybody else know what I'm saying???
The first one is just you, nothing particular about Miami in that regard. Intimate relationships are supposed to be rare, not common. Most likely one develops intimate relationships in one's home town and/or family environment, after that they are as rare as hen's teeth, the way it is supposed to be, as by the very definition of the word, and as any experienced, mature human being would expect. If you expect anything different, it says more about your age and your naive expectations than about Miami.

The second one is true to some extent, Miami's economy is simply not as deep, and the average pay not as high, as some other major cities in the US, such as New York, Chicago, and several cities in California, maybe Texas.

But, then again, in the US economy as a whole, there are five times more service jobs than manufacturing jobs, and only a fraction works in farm jobs, and average real wages have been on a downward trajectory or stagnant at best. So what do you expect?

And it is also you to another extent, if you do not know people who work in international trade and marketing, real estate, and all the logistics, legal, insurance, banking, and information system services that revolve around them, or perhaps medicine and medical research, based in neighborhoods such as Brickell/downtown and Coral Gables which are the power centers of Miami.

Having said that, five years is a significant period of time but you do seem to still have a positive attitude about Miami, which is laudable. Perhaps it is better to get one intimate relationship right than to have several go wrong. Be patient, sometimes it takes a decade or two (even forty years in the desert). How's your Spanish?

One more thing. Perhaps you should worry less about jobs and wages, and think instead about taking a risk, relying on your own talents, and opening your own business, which is the American dream and of which Miami is a classic reflection, just ask all the successful Cuban Americans, for example, not much different than the "fringe" Europeans who came to this country a century earlier.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 02-19-2013 at 03:34 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I have been here 5 yrs. I actually like it a lot. I'm from midwest. I did notice the people are a little diff down here tho. It's like I have a whole bunch of aqcuaintances as opposed to more intimate friendships up in the Midwest. Anybody else know what I'm talkn bout???

The other thing that seems weird down here is that there aren't too many good jobs if im not mistaken....Its like the majority of pple have some service job.

Anybody else know what i'm sayin???
Yes. You are right.

In addition to what bale002 said which I agree, I would like to add my own insight.

Back then when I lived in Miami (14 years since high school), I did not have any real friends.
It's just a bunch of people 'you know', but not really those you can confide to.
And that's a norm down there.
It is actually quite depressing if I looked back as I was longing to share with somebody / some people.
And I recall (and unfortunately I followed the trend) that people pick acquaintances depending on what image they want people to portray them as.
Alot of superficiality for sure. I remember that everything down there was all about image.
I remember what I cared about was gym, nice car, expensive clothes and to some extent of my friends plastic surgeries. (Two STRAIGHT guy friends did butt implants sdkfjshlkfjhslkfd)

I am kind of glad I am out of that culture. It was tiring in a way.

And yes there are not too many jobs in certain fields, such as engineering. That's the reason why I got transplanted to Philadelphia.
However, if you are looking for jobs in showbiz (especially Latin american ones), health care and retail, there are plenty of them.

The funny thing is that some friends that I made when I was there were actually transplants from the Midwest!

Regardless, I still love Miami. I am yearning the warm weather. The beaches. The work out culture. The illegal long boarding on Lincoln rd -> Don't do it people!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
I agree that it isn't easy to make friends here, but I believe its because the population in South Florida is VERY transient.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
The population is transient and maybe it is harder for older people down here to make friends but from someone who was born and raised and I know some people who have recently moved here in their 20s-30s they all seem to be doing fine with the friendship thing. To be frank I think blaming Miami on not making friends is a lame excuse that you are being too picky with your friends or just are not being social enough.

You have to hang out with the right people. Every city has people who all they care about are the cars you drive. I chose for those people to not be my friends.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM

195 posts, read 350,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Two STRAIGHT guy friends did butt implants sdkfjshlkfjhslkfd
Did they look good after the surgery?

I don't know but I don't think straight guys in Miami are having those type of procedures. Your friends are not the norm.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
I agree, it's hard to make intimate friends here. I always end up making acquaintances as u said.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
I think I get what you're saying, I moved here when I was older and I don't have the same kind of friends I have from where I grew up. Granted I still consider the ones I have down here friends, it's a different kind of relationship. It just takes some getting used to I guess.

As for the jobs topic, yeah you're pretty much right, keep in mind Miami is a tourism hub so with that comes a ton of hospitality jobs. As some other folks pointed out there are also a good deal of jobs in entertainment, healthcare, and retail.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I think I get what you're saying, I moved here when I was older and I don't have the same kind of friends I have from where I grew up. Granted I still consider the ones I have down here friends, it's a different kind of relationship. It just takes some getting used to I guess.

Do you not read what you type yourself. Why in the world would the friends you make when you are older in a new city be the same type of relationship as the friends you make when you were growing up and where you were growing up. Of course it's in different type of relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami