Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmickey View Post
Doggiebus: Perfect, some people don't know what can they do!

If you live in a family house, 3-4 of your close neighbor can see you if you stand in the lighted window. How many people see you in your home, if you lives in condo?
Depending on a half-mile zone where everyone would have a good telescope and if you live on the 30th floor, half of Miami could see just what kind of painting hangs in the living room wall. (well just kidding, but you can imagine that you can you not?)
From my property I can see about 20 buildings, plenty of flats... (i don't know how much ... about 1000?) Lot of apartment owners doesn't use curtain or shutters. After sunset I can see into dozens apartments, and I can see TV :-)
Okay I'm living in the condomium with high security. But how many people lives in condo no security?
From the street the burglars can see into the apartment and can see you what are you doing now...and what expensive things is in your flat.
Use curtain, blackout or shutter!
Most condos have security. Almost all large buildings do and no matter the situation all condos you need to have a key/access card to get in and then a key for the apartment.

Doggie good advice about fake FPL or any company or even fake police. For FPL you want to see a marked FPL truck and that goes for any other utility company. With police if you see marked cars then you are fine but anything else call the police and make sure. If they say they have a search warrant or something like that well then they don't need to ask you to open the door they can just knock it down if need be. If they don't have a warrant you almost never have to let the police in.

One thing I remind my girlfriend about and others are fake police cars pulling people over. Again if it is a marked police car with large lights on top go ahead and pull over. If possible go to well lit place even if it is a real marked car but if you are on the highway or something you pull over when able.

However unless the unmarked car is lit up like a Christmas tree I would not pull over right away. Unmarked police cars which actually do traffic stops these days are LOADED with LED lights everywhere on the mirrors, on the side, front and back. Thousands of dollars worth of lights. If you see a small strobe light, two lights on the sun visor, something small in the windshield never stop unless it is a well lit busy place like a gas station or Wal Mart Parking lot etc.. Slow down, put your flashers on and keep driving while calling 911. The type of people who fake being cops to robb, rape and even murder people (usually woman) usually do it on the highway or roads which are not busy.

Same with accidents. If at night and your car can still drive don't get out of the car. Call 911 or ask the other person to take pictures or get back in the car and take pictures then move to a safe area. This is again especially true for woman but in a deserted road this applies to anyone. And if it is really empty day or night. Fake accidents meant for other reasons like robbing someone usually will be rear end accidents. If you are rear ended it is obvious for insurance etc.. Don't get out, keep the doors locked and engine running and have the car in drive. Tell them to follow them somewhere safe or stay away until police arrive.

Another thing about cars. If your car stalls on the highway and you are on the shoulder don't get out and try to fix things if its a small narrow shoulder. Put all the lights on and the flashers and stay in your car with your seatbelt on and call 311 for MDX response or if you have it any roadside service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
My rule is simple, if someone tries to break in shoot first and ask questions later. I do not care who they claim to be and if they wear uniforms or the like. Having a secure door that cannot be kicked in, and a weapon handy that you can have at the ready in less than a minute is ideal. Friends with similar preparations can be a lifesaver. I never hire contractors or even landscape workers so nobody knows if my home has valuables or just a lot of junk. Never has my home been burglarized but I have had scares, when I have had my weapon aimed at a window waiting to see if anyone would break in. Two times, however it was just curious wildlife.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My rule is simple, if someone tries to break in shoot first and ask questions later. I do not care who they claim to be and if they wear uniforms or the like. Having a secure door that cannot be kicked in, and a weapon handy that you can have at the ready in less than a minute is ideal. Friends with similar preparations can be a lifesaver. I never hire contractors or even landscape workers so nobody knows if my home has valuables or just a lot of junk. Never has my home been burglarized but I have had scares, when I have had my weapon aimed at a window waiting to see if anyone would break in. Two times, however it was just curious wildlife.
I share your feelings but you have to be careful. If law enforcement has a warrant or any valid reason to be on your property you better not shoot or you will get a nice free place to live the rest of your life known as state prison.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I share your feelings but you have to be careful. If law enforcement has a warrant or any valid reason to be on your property you better not shoot or you will get a nice free place to live the rest of your life known as state prison.
Another reason why the US is becoming a police state. Everyone should have the right to defend themselves from all invaders, The police can break in any home and kill anyone they want with impunity. Criminals take advantage of this to victimize citizens at will.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times
it sure sounds like Iraq to me.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
it sure sounds like Iraq to me.
Visit Iraq and let us know. Looking forward to the pictures!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM

48 posts, read 84,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
do anything, but if you have a "little time", count to five ...

A moment, that will change your life....

prevention and thinking! .. everything you did....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami