Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be graduating in Dec '13 with a BA in Accounting and want to work in public accounting or corporate/banking.

Are there jobs available for someone who is a recent grad and not connected to any of the local schools?

i want to get an MSA or MBA while I'm down there, but my first concern is work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Hi All,

I will be graduating in Dec '13 with a BA in Accounting and want to work in public accounting or corporate/banking.

Are there jobs available for someone who is a recent grad and not connected to any of the local schools?

i want to get an MSA or MBA while I'm down there, but my first concern is work.

Thanks!
You should look on indeed.com and simplyhired.com for accounting jobs in Miami and see what you come up with. There are a LOT of banking and other sorts of financial firms here, so I would assume the answer is yes. But to be sure, I would do some digging.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You should look on indeed.com and simplyhired.com for accounting jobs in Miami and see what you come up with. There are a LOT of banking and other sorts of financial firms here, so I would assume the answer is yes. But to be sure, I would do some digging.
In your field, Pear Martini, I agree Wild Style, especially if you have any kind of specialization in international corporate taxation or accounting for international trade, logistics or chain supply management companies. Also I believe that you know Spanish, which would be a big plus, and Portuguese would be a bonus.

In any case, you are on the right track: get some experience first before contemplating an MBA or MSA, do not be too proud to accept a low wage at the start and to rely on family and friends for support, be patient, build up some professional contacts, learn the niches, and specialize in one or two of them.

All the best, and welcome home son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlY3ubGzUY

Last edited by bale002; 02-21-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
What happened to Boston?? Surely you don't want to return to Miami already, you practically just left!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times

YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In your field, Pear Martini, I agree Wild Style, especially if you have any kind of specialization in international corporate taxation or accounting for international trade, logistics or chain supply management companies. Also I believe that you know Spanish, which would be a big plus, and Portuguese would be a bonus.

In any case, you are on the right track: get some experience first before contemplating an MBA or MSA, do not be too proud to accept a low wage at the start and to rely on family and friends for support, be patient, build up some professional contacts, learn the niches, and specialize in one or two of them.

All the best, and welcome home son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGlY3ubGzUY

Thanks. I haven't done any work or taken any classes in international trade or international accounting standards but I might look into a class while I'm still here.
Thanks for the advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
What happened to Boston?? Surely you don't want to return to Miami already, you practically just left!
I like Boston but the winter is too long for me to be happy settling here without trying Miami out as a professional and not a struggling student/bartender.

I truly love the beach, the keys, the rivers, the food, and the friendliness. Yes, there is a lot of stuff I don't like in Miami but to spend my weekends at the beach or eating in South Beach instead of snowed in/too cold to go out and not be desperate to get home.

Maybe its just "the grass is greener" but my mother is down there and I was happy when I lived down there (even if I was broke and hated my college).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
LOL!! So fitting

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Every person I know who has graduated from a graduate tax program at UM as gotten a job before they even graduated. Tax jobs are available in Miami.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:

I like Boston but the winter is too long for me to be happy settling here without trying Miami out as a professional and not a struggling student/bartender.

I truly love the beach, the keys, the rivers, the food, and the friendliness. Yes, there is a lot of stuff I don't like in Miami but to spend my weekends at the beach or eating in South Beach instead of snowed in/too cold to go out and not be desperate to get home.

Maybe its just "the grass is greener" but my mother is down there and I was happy when I lived down there (even if I was broke and hated my college).
Somebody must have hacked your account because this is NOT the same outlook on Miami you had just about a year or so ago.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Every person I know who has graduated from a graduate tax program at UM as gotten a job before they even graduated. Tax jobs are available in Miami.
Thats great to know. I'm currently working in tax (less than a years worth of experience) and I want to try auditing. Tax is just boring. Maybe its just my office but I would like to try out being an auditor. Do you know what its like for aspiring auditors in Miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Somebody must have hacked your account because this is NOT the same outlook on Miami you had just about a year or so ago.

haha, no its really me. When I was in Miami a few years ago, my life was much different than it is now. I was a bartender but for some reason I always ended up at bars that forced us to wear skimpy uniforms. I was also dead broke and struggling to get through community college. I think a lot of the people I met from working at trashy bars were not the best types of people but I sort of judged the whole of Miami by what I saw. I witnessed bosses of mine cheat on their wives with 19 year old waitresses, bosses snort blow, more than half of the female friends I had got boob jobs (yet never spent money on getting a real career outside of bartending), I just knew way too many shady people.

Even now I'm learning horrible things about some of my ex-friends/co-workers.

But now I'm a budding accountant and much happier with where I am in life. I'm assuming the professional world in Miami is much different than the flat broke hooters girl world that I lived in. I didn't work at hooters but most of the places I worked at were similar.

Someone enlighten me. Maybe being a professional in Miami blows.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

haha, no its really me. When I was in Miami a few years ago, my life was much different than it is now. I was a bartender but for some reason I always ended up at bars that forced us to wear skimpy uniforms. I was also dead broke and struggling to get through community college. I think a lot of the people I met from working at trashy bars were not the best types of people but I sort of judged the whole of Miami by what I saw. I witnessed bosses of mine cheat on their wives with 19 year old waitresses, bosses snort blow, more than half of the female friends I had got boob jobs (yet never spent money on getting a real career outside of bartending), I just knew way too many shady people.

Even now I'm learning horrible things about some of my ex-friends/co-workers.

But now I'm a budding accountant and much happier with where I am in life. I'm assuming the professional world in Miami is much different than the flat broke hooters girl world that I lived in. I didn't work at hooters but most of the places I worked at were similar.

Someone enlighten me. Maybe being a professional in Miami blows.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned you were in the wrong place, but I digress

You are right in that the circle you were in was not a good one. Miami has a major party scene and usually the people wrapped up in that 24/7 will be bad people who do snort blow and cheat on their partners.

Being a professional can blow if you are just a working stiff, too, though. What are you interested in? Are you willing to get involved with activist groups in Miami? What are your passions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami