Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 28,975 times

Advertisements

I recently spent a week in Miami, South Beach specifically (I'm aware it's considered a different city). What I was most surprised by was how unfriendly everyone seemed to be! I live in Chicago where regardless of the chronic racism, segregation, and freezing cold weather, people tend to be friendly. I figured that in a city with such beautiful weather the locals would be a bit more happy? I said please and thank you to everyone, held doors open, yet it was never reciprocated. In addition to that everyone drove like a F****NG maniac! In 200,000 dollar car's none the less. It just left a bad taste in my mouth... the friendliest people I met were the one's in Little Havana. I sat in a small Cuban restaurant surrounded only by Cuban's. Instead of standing out like the pale Scottish guy I am, I was greeted with smiles and kindness.

Overall it seemed like Miamian's (Specifically the people of Miami Beach) were far too focused on appearances and flash.

My grandmother would say the whole place was very "nouveau riche"

Can anyone give me some insight here?

Keep in mind I've spent time in San Diego, San Francisco, and NYC. Found this to be an isolated thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,058,310 times
You were in South Beach where it's many many tourist from around the wolrld and a good amount of stuck up people. Especially people in the middle of the week who are not working such as young people living off trust funds or people who are just depressed in not having a job or just don't have the skills or education to get a job.

I mean a very decent amount of the people you saw in South Beach were tourist. As you noticed you went to a more local area and people were nice too you. So many of these rude people were not even Miamians or even American.

I can agree that Miami is more materialistic than most cities though. It's like a LA. And yes the drivers here are horrible.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,151,342 times
You can browse the this forum's pages and you'll see this issue addressed extensively. It's true, that's Miami. You didn't just imagine it.

The rest of the posters here have probably heard me say this a million times, but I actually like that people aren't exaggeratedly friendly. I've lived out of state and the kind of attitude you like from people makes me really uncomfortable. It isn't just because I was born and raised here. I've heard people from out of state move here and say that they love that attitude where they can mind their own business and everyone else does the same. Similarly, there are a lot of people that were raised here and move out because they hate it.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 28,975 times
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say Chicagoan's are exaggeratedly friendly. Just courteous in the sense that you give what you get. If you mind your own business in the Chi you'll be left alone, similarly if you're super outgoing you'll get that in return.

What I'm getting at is I've seen plenty of posts about how rude Miami is but nothing explaining why... From an outside perspective it's almost as if people down there in general just hate everyone. Politeness in the Midwest can be explained with its' history of hard-working, religious, agriculturists. A strong sense of help thy neighbor. In miami it seems like everyone's more about help thyself...

Last edited by SimplyCosmopolitan24; 02-27-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,421,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyCosmopolitan24 View Post
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say Chicagoan's are exaggeratedly friendly. Just courteous in the sense that you give what you get. If you mind your own business in the Chi you'll be left alone, similarly if you're super outgoing you'll get that in return.

What I'm getting at is I've seen plenty of posts about how rude Miami is but nothing explaining why... From an outside perspective it's almost as if people down there in general just hate everyone. Politeness in the Midwest can be explained with its' history of hard-working, religious, agriculturists. A strong sense of help thy neighbor. In miami it seems like everyone's more about help thyself...
there is no rhyme or reason for how it is here, it just IS. With that said, its not ALL like that. As you stated, when you went to Little Havana it was a totally different vibe. Where I live people aren't mean at all, I won't say they are out going, but not mean.

Coming from Chicago, I can see how you would be put off by Miami. Chicago people are "down south" nice. I remember I was on the South Side and I stopped to let this old man cross the street, and dude waited for me to look up before he walked off, so he could wave and say thank you. I thought I was in Mayberry or something. I really like Chicago, its my second favorite city.

Next time try to spend more time on the main land, I assure you, the experience will be much different.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,364,713 times
Considering you were in one of the top tourist spots in the country (and at the height of tourist season,) the people you encountered were mostly not Miamians. When you entered Little Havana, you encountered Miamians which sounds like were much better than those people you met in South Beach.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,244,597 times
In other words, you DID like Miamians

Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyCosmopolitan24 View Post
I recently spent a week in Miami, South Beach specifically (I'm aware it's considered a different city). What I was most surprised by was how unfriendly everyone seemed to be! I live in Chicago where regardless of the chronic racism, segregation, and freezing cold weather, people tend to be friendly. I figured that in a city with such beautiful weather the locals would be a bit more happy? I said please and thank you to everyone, held doors open, yet it was never reciprocated. In addition to that everyone drove like a F****NG maniac! In 200,000 dollar car's none the less. It just left a bad taste in my mouth... the friendliest people I met were the one's in Little Havana. I sat in a small Cuban restaurant surrounded only by Cuban's. Instead of standing out like the pale Scottish guy I am, I was greeted with smiles and kindness.

Overall it seemed like Miamian's (Specifically the people of Miami Beach) were far too focused on appearances and flash.

My grandmother would say the whole place was very "nouveau riche"

Can anyone give me some insight here?

Keep in mind I've spent time in San Diego, San Francisco, and NYC. Found this to be an isolated thing...

You have summed up S.FL from Miami all the way up to West Palm.
Look on the bright side, at least you got out without being the victim of a crime

Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,364,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
That's what it looks like to me!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,058,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Exactly. He complains about a place which is over 50% tourist about how rude everyone is in Miami Beach. Than goes to the most Miamian neighborhood you can find and the people are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami