Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times

Advertisements

We have a business opportunity on Key Biscayne. A decent rental house comes with it so housing is not an issue.

Anyone know about lifestyle, schools, raising kids there? We are a tennis family, anyone ever play at the Crandon Park Tennis Center? We have a 4 and a 11 year old. I see the population is 50-50 white and hispanic. We do not speak Spanish.

Any experiences living year round on Key Biscayne would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,462 times
You don't need to speak spanish to live anywhere in Miami (although it helps!) But regardless you'll be perfectly fine living in Key Biscayne not knowing any spanish. It's very beautiful out there, kind of an oasis away from Miami but still close enough to be in the middle of it all in a sec. All the beaches there are geared toward families so you're not going to get the debauchery that is SOBE. The view is great from anywhere on the island and you'll be close to Miami Beach and Downtown. If I had boku bucks that's one of the places I'd reside.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
You don't need to speak spanish to live anywhere in Miami
Try living in Little Havana or Hialeah without speaking Spanish...

Old 10-25-2007, 02:16 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
You don't need to speak spanish to live anywhere in Miami (although it helps!) But regardless you'll be perfectly fine living in Key Biscayne not knowing any spanish. It's very beautiful out there, kind of an oasis away from Miami but still close enough to be in the middle of it all in a sec. All the beaches there are geared toward families so you're not going to get the debauchery that is SOBE. The view is great from anywhere on the island and you'll be close to Miami Beach and Downtown. If I had boku bucks that's one of the places I'd reside.

Just my 2 cents....
Thanks for the info. We are really into parks, beaches, and tennis so it looks like there is plenty of that there. I looked at some of the City Data information, seems like 35% of households there speak English only. Of the 65% that speak Spanish as their primary language, over 90% report that they can speak English either fluently or well.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 14,698 times
Default I would not live anywhere else in Miami-Dade County.

I've been living in Key Biscayne for the last 20 years. My 10 years old son and 7 years old daughter were born and raised in "the island". Parks and beaches abound. I'm sure you have googled KB and seen Bill Bags State Park to the South and Crandon Park to the North. Both parks have very good beaches, besides the beach to the east of KB.

KB is very well run by elected Mayor and Council members, with active participation from the residents. In case you have not seen it, all council meetings are played live on a local channel, and then on demand at the Village's web site.

Unfortunately the island has been overbuilt. Particularly in the early and mid 90's, when the Ocean Club resort was built while the island was still a part of the City of Miami. There is a strong sentiment now against any new concrete project, which should help in controlling further growth.

KB has shifted from being a kind of vacation and retirees community to a much younger crowd. This shift is bringing some challenges, such as a the lack of a high school and after school activities for the approximately 620 kids in high school age. We are trying to find a solution to this issue, but lack of open space is the major challenge and need to think out of the box to resolve this issue.

Housing has become extremely expensive, but I understand this will not be an issue for you.

I'm sure you'll enjoy living in this great community.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
We have a business opportunity on Key Biscayne. A decent rental house comes with it so housing is not an issue.

Anyone know about lifestyle, schools, raising kids there? We are a tennis family, anyone ever play at the Crandon Park Tennis Center? We have a 4 and a 11 year old. I see the population is 50-50 white and hispanic. We do not speak Spanish.

Any experiences living year round on Key Biscayne would be appreciated.
BEAUTIFUL, great area. Undoubtedly one of the most pretigious places to live in Miami-Dade. Good schools, virtually no crime. Almost everyone there speaks English, so don't worry about that. Though 35% of households may speak English only, many Hispanic households in Key Biscayne, though bilingual, speak primarily English. Almost everyone in Key Biscayne are professionals, affluent, and well-assimilated regardless of whether they are Hispanic or not. You don't need a lick of Spanish to find yourself at home in the area.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 10,072 times
I too have thought about moving to Key Biscayne as I have read som many good things about the area and also need to be close to nature. The main concern with my wife are mosquitoes and no- see -ums. Are the biting insects bad everywhere in Key Biscayne?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times
We are also considering a move to Key Biscayne. Thanks to all who posted the great information on this thread.

My question would be about the dog friendliness of the island. I understand the lots are small so it would be nice to have a place for them to exercise. Are dogs allowed in the Key Biscayne parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami