U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM

471 posts, read 758,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am finally landing opportunities to relocate from Texas to South Florida (thank God!). I have a potential offer in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Las Olas. However, I would really like to live in Miami, ideally at Plaza Brickell. Is this doable? I understand it should be a reverse commute but is there really no traffic at all? If not, would a commute Aventura to Las Olas be a lot better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM

261 posts, read 642,553 times
I wouldn't say no traffic at all. Definitely better than if you were going the other way. The traffic you'll hit will be going into Downtown Ft. Lauderdale, which isn't terrible, but is still rush hour.

Aventura will be a much better commute, without a doubt. It'll save you a moderate amount of time, since Brickell to the Aventura exit in the mornings isn't a hike time-wise; however, you're definitely talking about much less distance and gas.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,051 times
Are you still looking to relocate in Briickell? How funny I'd moved too from Houston, Tx and agree with your THANK GOD!!!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM

I have been living/working in Brickell happily since April. Houston is terrible. Only reason why there are high paying jobs there it's because life there is miserable.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,074,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I have been living/working in Brickell happily since April. Houston is terrible. Only reason why there are high paying jobs there it's because life there is miserable.
Can you please elaborate on why you feel that Houston is so terrible and miserable. I am honestly curious to know as I have never lived there or visited.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM

I am Italian. Born and raised in Milan and married to a Latina. I lived in San Francisco before moving to Houston. Houston to me would be the equivalent of Liverpool or Manchester and Miami is Barcelona. I think that pretty much sums it up. But to be more specific, Houston has no pedestrian friendly neighborhoods like Brickell, the Grove, or South Beach. The people are naive and fake nice. Most are extremely ignorant and close minded about other cultures. Houstonians have an homogeneous sense of style when it comes to wearing suits that don't fit, polo shirts and khakis pants. Galveston is a cesspool. There is nothing to do on weekends other than eating or shopping. The nightlife is terrible for a city of its size. Everybody lives in McMansions in the suburbs, it's not even a city. It's just a suburban sprawl with a dead downtown. It has just been ranked in the top 10 ugliest cities in the world, along with Detroit. People are gun lovers, chew tobacco at work (even in high finance), and in general have no class that money could buy. Pure troglodytes. My wife and I would never raise kids in Houston with those values like hunting, discrimination of other cultures, etc. We want them to be able to speak Spanish and Italian and be proud of their culture. It was so sad to see the kids of so many Mexican immigrants ashamed of speaking Spanish. It's only thanks to the intolerant environmemt of the people of Houston.

Last edited by robertobaggio; 02-09-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,776,279 times
Very interesting ^

I always saw Miami as the Barcelona of North America or Barcelona as the Miami of Europe.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,353,223 times
Unless there are specific people you will visit often in Miami, or specific places you want to frequent that have no equivalent in FLL, I would strongly consider living in the Las Olas area of FLL until they build the FEC commuter rail in the next few years and traffic is no longer an issue (assuming your position is long term?). Reverse commute on I-95 is "usually" smooth most of the way, but can be quite unreliable, especially passing through the Golden Glades interchange. Getting in and out of Brickell by car can be a pain during rush hour. Similar with Aventura--you run in to the school zones in the morning and the mall traffic in the evening, it can easily take 10 minutes or more between I-95 and US1 despite the short distance. If you live in Las Olas it's possible you'd be there in a 10 minute walk!

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,648,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Hi all, I am finally landing opportunities to relocate from Texas to South Florida (thank God!). I have a potential offer in downtown Fort Lauderdale on Las Olas. However, I would really like to live in Miami, ideally at Plaza Brickell. Is this doable? I understand it should be a reverse commute but is there really no traffic at all? If not, would a commute Aventura to Las Olas be a lot better?
I would suggest checking out the Las Olas area, its really nice, close to the beach, lots of restaurants and bars. Save yourself that commute time for fun things.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM

4,311 posts, read 6,554,337 times
+1 for Las Olas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami