Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 AM

102 posts, read 231,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
When you're young and you make 10 bucks and hour, music festivals are normal things you can easily save up for. I used to do it all the time. The crazy thing about Ultra is the amount of young international travelers, that's no just a bunch of locals. Ultra and electronic music have become a generational thing, the music of it's time on every corner of the world.

Concerts didn't cost 400 bucks when I was young . Plus hotel rooms weren't 500+ a night (approx) , plus airfare , and car rental , food, etc ..

I realize they come as a group and share the cost but even still this can easily be a 5K vacation . It might even be a 10K vacation if one factors in renting an exotic car ,posting bond , court costs, legal fees etc .. only to make it even harder for the 22 year old to get a job paying more than 10 bucks after returning home from his "party weekend in Miami ".

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-26-2013 at 01:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
I was on vacation down here last week and it has changed a lot. The restaurants are cheap and all the chic/unique boutiques are gone. I remember the days when South Beach was for the upscale crowd. South Beach is so ghetto now... Creepy homeless people walking around the beach...

I also noticed how certain neighborhoods have changed for the worse.
Ideally, it should be for the middle class (and a few upscale touches are fine). It goes too upscale and is now too ghetto, so it messed up twice. Don't you also have to take a congested 15 mile causeway from Miami to get there. It was probably over-hyped. Sorry to hear about your experience. Go to West Palm Beach instead.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 AM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
Concerts didn't cost 400 bucks when I was young . Plus hotel rooms weren't 500+ a night (approx) , plus airfare , and car rental , food, etc ..

I realize they come as a group and share the cost but even still this can easily be a 5K vacation . It might even be a 10K vacation if one factors in renting an exotic car ,posting bond , court costs, legal fees etc .. only to make it even harder for the 22 year old to get a job paying more than 10 bucks after returning home from his "party weekend in Miami ".
Well that's the world we live in today. Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapolooza, SXSW, and Ultra. They're all huge and they're all expensive. Every year people make the pilgrimage wherever thy need to for their favorite artist, I don't see the need to knock them.

As for South Beach, anyone that thinks the area is remotely in decline is living in a fantasy world. The area has never been more expensive or luxurious.

This is South Beach in 1974, it was another world. It was a true ghetto. You guys abuse the hell out of that word btw, it's not right.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Even with the old people and run down hotels, South Beach was far better than it is now, in my opinion. As a kid my parents would take me to the beach, which back then was easy to get to, you could feed the parking meter or on the street nearby, as few of the senior citizens had cars. My friend's grandmother lived in a run down hotel with wood floors. I remember the musty smell and 1920's details. If not for drug money having nowhere else to go I bet south beach would still be God's waiting room. The sad thing is that in the next economic downturn parts of Miami Beach will once again be pockets of poverty.

Great find on the video BTW!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Ideally, it should be for the middle class (and a few upscale touches are fine). It goes too upscale and is now too ghetto, so it messed up twice. Don't you also have to take a congested 15 mile causeway from Miami to get there. It was probably over-hyped. Sorry to hear about your experience. Go to West Palm Beach instead.
It is Ghetto and Upscale?
15 miles??? I think you need to look on google maps again. It is no where near 15 miles and unless there is a big event or accident there is usually not much traffic on the causeways either

Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM

431 posts, read 659,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Some of the high end stuff has moved to the new spot to be the Design District.

I went to the Design District and I liked it much better than South Beach.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Agrreed with all above. Again to the OP where in South Beach/Miami Beach did you go?

I stayed at a friend's house in the Design District.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
I stayed at a friend's house in the Design District.
The last time I looked the Design District was north of Midtown Miami
and not in South Beach or Miami Beach.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

102 posts, read 231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Well that's the world we live in today. Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapolooza, SXSW, and Ultra. They're all huge and they're all expensive. Every year people make the pilgrimage wherever thy need to for their favorite artist, I don't see the need to knock them.

I am not "knocking" them . I do feel that they have no concept of the value of money because most of them are not paying for it .

As for South Beach .. I agree with you . It's not declining . On the contrary (as stated in my first post) I think business is flourishing.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The last time I looked the Design District was north of Midtown Miami
and not in South Beach or Miami Beach.
I hung out in South Beach for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami