Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,244 times

Advertisements

The Omni was a great mall to go to. A beautiful carousel and amusement area for kids, a movie theather, too. My high school prom was held at the Omni in 1980. Our school had to rechedule the week after because of the McDuffie Riots. We still drove through Miami to get there because of a date that had to be picked up in Allapattah. Oh well, we survived. Go T-Breds !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,656 times
I was thinking this Myself, I haven't found any waterparks, or amusement parks I would seem to think they would come to mind, but no.. I dont know why not, Miami has the zoo, aquarium, but no amusement parks.. It would be cool in South beach or somewhere, if they had an amusement park by the ocean maybe, like Santa monica has, or San diego has Belmont park.. I wonder why not?.. I guess all that stuff is only in orlando for the kids.. lol But it wouldnt be a bad idea for Miami.? Anybody?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,321 times
i recall seeing something about Universal Studios wanting to build in the Homestead area but that was also several years ago and it just vanished... I agree a water park in Miami/Ft Lauderdale would be ideal and a true money maker but for some reason it never flies.

I live in ATL now and there is a six flags theme park and a six flags water park in the same city...

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I was thinking this Myself, I haven't found any waterparks, or amusement parks I would seem to think they would come to mind, but no.. I dont know why not, Miami has the zoo, aquarium, but no amusement parks.. It would be cool in South beach or somewhere, if they had an amusement park by the ocean maybe, like Santa monica has, or San diego has Belmont park.. I wonder why not?.. I guess all that stuff is only in orlando for the kids.. lol But it wouldnt be a bad idea for Miami.? Anybody?
There's two waterparks that I know of in South Florida. One is in West Palm called Rapids Water park and there's one in Broward at CB Smith Park. Already mention, the waterpark that was going to go in Florida City was suppose to go in next to the Outlet Mall I believe and there was talk about putting one in next to Zoo Miami before the economy took a dive. I wonder if the fact Miami has the beaches and so many pools around, that, that's why a waterpark hasn't been built in Miami? So many people can easily go to a public pool, a friends house, their house or the beach for free here in South Florida. Where someone in middle USA doesn't have as many options to go swimming. So the one or two waterparks with a days drive of people will see higher traffic as there are less options around for people to go swimming. Hurricanes also have to be a factor into someone deciding whether or not to build a theme park or waterpark here.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Nothing is going off the coast like a boardwalk or anything like that. We have some of the nicest Beaches in the world why ruin them.

As for waterparks ehh, we have the beach. Unless its tied to a resort on the beach I don't see the point.

As for an Amusement Park or Theme park of course there is very little land to be in an urban area. But there is space down in Homestead and Florida city. I think it would be a good idea as families would spend the day there etc.. Look at Legoland up in Cypress Gardens how well it has been doing lately and it is not that close to Orlando. They are going to build a water park there too. I am sure some more hotels will go up etc.. But also for the locals and tourist Orlando is right there a 4 hour drive away and it would be hard to compete with Disney and Universal those are the top notch parks in the world.

As for the metro zoo thing I do not think it is/might be as big as orginally planned. However I read that they were thinking of getting the roller coaster which is no longer used at Boomers in Delray and taking it down next to the zoo. There is a lot of land there. I think a zoo/amusement park could do very well.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,709 times
We've lost all our bowling and mini golf courses too. Gotta make room for more shopping centers. There is one mini golf left at Palmetto Golf, but that's a golf course with a little area set aside for that. Sure was a lot more fun in Dade when I was a kid in the 70's.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,966 times
I'm probably the biggest theme park,amusement park,waterpark fan south of Orlando,I in fact actually just came back from 3 days in Orlando last night.One conclusion I've reached is that no worthwhile park appears to have any confidence in coming to Miami as there's been so many proposals for waterparks and parks over the years and in the end nothing ever comes of it.Here's a list of projects I remember possibly coming.

1.Blockbuster park in Miramar
2.Waterpark in Florida City
3.Waterpark in Zoo Miami (still possible)
4.Amusement park next to Zoo Miami (was to be built in the old Coast Guard housing area which about 2 months ago started leasing the housing)
5.Waterpark next to Sun Life Stadium (was to have been a smaller waterpark to bring some revenue now that the Marlins are gone so I guess it's still possible)
6.Shlitterbahn,one of the most succesful waterpark companies apparently building a waterpark at Lockhart stadium in Ft.Lauderdale,the project hasn't been cancelled and this is the most probable project to get built but for some reason everything here takes years to become reality

I live 5 minutes from the zoo so the projects there had me excited for a while,eventually I realized the smartest move for me in the future is to just move closer to Orlando as nothing ever related to theme parks or waterparks will probably ever become a success here,either from a hurricane knocking it down or the high number of rainy days in the summer or a population that probably either doesn't have money to attend or are more interested in getting into the VIP area at a club,or even the high cost of real estate here adding to the investment any company would have to think about before getting involved in a project.Look at the Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music park in Myrtle Beach,if that would have gotten built in Orlando it would likely still be open and having some success,instead they built it in a place that was doomed from the beginning,is Myrtle Beach a tourist area,sure but obviously that alone doesn't guarantee success.I hear that park might get a new owner but in reality most know the chances if long term success is slim.I think when these theme park companies look at Miami they know even though it has a large population and tourists it's just not Orlando,too many issues come with creating a park here along with the idea that Orlando is still just 3-4 hours away.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
i recall seeing something about Universal Studios wanting to build in the Homestead area but that was also several years ago and it just vanished... I agree a water park in Miami/Ft Lauderdale would be ideal and a true money maker but for some reason it never flies.

I live in ATL now and there is a six flags theme park and a six flags water park in the same city...
Universal would never build here,what you heard was commissioner Dennis Moss stating in an article that the Zoo waterpark,theme park could become our Universal Studios,that again was about 6 years ago.At the very least I would like the waterpark along with the Triple Hurricane wood coaster from Boomers to actually come to the zoo.It does have enough space for these to come outside the zoo entrance and that wood coaster is pretty good and would be a shame to see it demolished,the longer it sits without being taken care of the more likely it would have to be demolished.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Hurricanes also have to be a factor into someone deciding whether or not to build a theme park or waterpark here.
When I lived in South Florida, I too wondered about the lack of theme and waterparks. Hurricanes would seem to be an obvious concern but coastal Texas supports two such parks, in the Schlliterbahn family, one at South Padre Island and the other on Galveston Island.

Schlitterbahn

Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Interesting, now I wonder how many pools are in within 2 hours lets say of these parks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami