Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
 
38 posts, read 147,776 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

does anyone know what the percentage of white people in miami are and about how many people speak English versus Spanish.My friend is a 24 yr old white small blonde and she might take a job in Miami and I have no intention of ever leaving the OC for Miami.I have been to south beach and thats ok but I have heard the rest of Miami really bites but have not seen it myself.I want to talk her out of it because I dont think she would like it there.So my question is based on the writings of the board and my small experience of being in south beach for 3 days.

1 Are there any white people in Miami or is it all mostly hispanic and black.

2 What percentage actually speak English in Cali this is never a problem we have alot of Mexicans but finding someone who speaks English is no problem except in the ghetto.

3 Do you have to speak spanish to get a job in Miami (I have heard you do) my friend speaks valley girl.

 
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
 
8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
does anyone know what the percentage of white people in miami are and about how many people speak English versus Spanish.My friend is a 24 yr old white small blonde and she might take a job in Miami and I have no intention of ever leaving the OC for Miami.I have been to south beach and thats ok but I have heard the rest of Miami really bites but have not seen it myself.I want to talk her out of it because I dont think she would like it there.So my question is based on the writings of the board and my small experience of being in south beach for 3 days.

1 Are there any white people in Miami or is it all mostly hispanic and black.

2 What percentage actually speak English in Cali this is never a problem we have alot of Mexicans but finding someone who speaks English is no problem except in the ghetto.

3 Do you have to speak spanish to get a job in Miami (I have heard you do) my friend speaks valley girl.
Well...

1. Not really. They tend to be around in the coastal communities, and also in the cities of Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, and (to a lesser extent) Miami Lakes and Kendall. Miami-Dade County is about 18% non Hispanic white.
2.As quoted from the census
Quote:
Among people at least five years old living in Miami-Dade County in 2006, 71 percent spoke a language other than English at home. Of those speaking a language other than English at home, 87 percent spoke Spanish and 13 percent spoke some other language; 49 percent reported that they did not speak English "very well."
3. Yes.

It might be worth commuting from Broward County if you are coming from the O.C. Like Orange County, suburban Broward is very diverse, but over 95% of the Hispanic population at least speaks some English, about 85% speaks it "Well", and non-hispanic Whites still dominate, meaning although you hear plenty of Spanish spoken, virtually everybody will speak English to you. The demographic/class factor is definitely a lot less shocking in Broward County. I was actually reading a book that ranked U.S metro areas by quality of life and the O.C and Fort Lauderdale (Broward area) were neck and neck in the top quarter of the list (around 57 out of around 330 or so I believe). One thing you will notice is that the Asian population is much, much smaller. The SW Broward commuter suburbs have a high Asian population for Florida (generally in the 5-10% range), but still insignificant compared to Orange County.
 
Old 10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Reputation: 2957
Like you said you have visited Miami Beach, Miami its like night and day. We have friends that grew up here in Miami and know like in LA, and they say they would never move back to Miami. LA in their opinion is better overall. But each person is different I know.

Yes there are White people in Miami-Dade County, but they are few and far between. White people are an audity of sorts here in Miami, especially real blonds. Here are some stats as of 2005 Census for Miami-Dade County 2,402,208 million people, 60.6% Hispanic, 20.5% Black, 18.6% White Non Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if the next census number have less whites and more blacks and hispanic. As many whites are leaving.

As to your second and third question, it depends. There are areas that you will definetly need to know spanish and then there are other areas English is fine. But even in these areas you will find customer service people who only speak spanish like at the grocery stores. So that is stating to become an issue. As far as jobs, it really depends ont he position, there are many jobs that are bilingual only positions. So it depends.
 
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 8,222,228 times
Reputation: 484
I heard as of 2006 the city of Miami is 11% white non-Hispanic, compared to Fort Lauderdale (around 60%) and West Palm Beach (around 30%).

I would recommend living in Broward County and commuting to Miami, or moving to an area like Kendall.

Depending on which area you're in you might find people that can't speak English. This is very common in areas like Little Havana or in cities such as Hialeah.
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
3,644 posts, read 6,281,483 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I heard as of 2006 the city of Miami is 11% white non-Hispanic, compared to Fort Lauderdale (around 60%) and West Palm Beach (around 30%).

I would recommend living in Broward County and commuting to Miami, or moving to an area like Kendall.

Depending on which area you're in you might find people that can't speak English. This is very common in areas like Little Havana or in cities such as Hialeah.
Wow. I had no idea that Whites were still the majority in Broward. That county is holding out longer than I thought they would. I guess they benefitted from the whites that fled Dade county after hurricane andrew in the 90's.
I am surprised to hear West Palm Beach in onnly 30% White. The few times I've been up there all I've seen were Whites (and the Chinese friends that I was visiting).

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we are down to 11% in Dade county. When I am in public and hear a conversation(other than a merchant transaction) in English it is odd enough to make it stand out. I can't remember the last time I overheard a child talking to a parent in English. It's probably been years.
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Wow. I had no idea that Whites were still the majority in Broward.
They aren't. They make up 48% of the population, making them a plurality. Most Broward "Hispanics" (or should I say mestizos, I really can't stand that word after using it for a while), live in the suburbs. The nicer parts of town. Yes, it's true, Fort Lauderdale is under 10% Hispanic, with very slow growth in its Hispanic population, and the nicer surrounding communities like Weston, Davie, Coral Springs,Pembroke Pines etc house most of Broward's Hispanics). Fort Lauderdale (and nearby Pompano Beach) remains a white/black city with an overall population growth rate beginning to verge on negative.
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 8,222,228 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I am surprised to hear West Palm Beach in onnly 30% White. The few times I've been up there all I've seen were Whites (and the Chinese friends that I was visiting).
You've probably been to a city close to WPB like Jupiter, or in the suburbs. The main city's white population has dropped to a very low rate over the past few years due to mass immigration. Most of the whites that lived here have moved to other areas in the state, or to the Carolinas.
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Reputation: 2423
Also known as de-facto segregation, which seems not to be a factor in Broward County (at least not for Hispanics, but you still have black/everyone else segregation). Although the only stunning example I have found of this is the bordering school districts of Plantation High School and Western High School (in Davie). Plantation is over 60% Black. Western is 4%, and the areas are separated by a highway.
 
Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 8,222,228 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Also known as de-facto segregation, which seems not to be a factor in Broward County.
I was in Coral Springs recently and I noticed that there was a large mix of all types of people there, while if you would go to Boca Raton you would notice mostly Caucasians, or Hispanics in Lake Worth...

I think that's why many people still think PBC is mostly white Anglo because they go to a certain wealthy area and base their judgments on that... in reality most of the affordable areas have turned Hispanic. The only area that is still mostly white cracker Floridian is Loxahatchee.

But I would say that Palm Beach County is much more of a racially diverse melting pot than Miami-Dade is... At least in many parts of PBC there are all types of cultures living together... in Miami-Dade each kind has their own areas they live in. Then again, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've heard that Cubans don't like living with blacks (???).
 
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
 
440 posts, read 1,490,997 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
They aren't. They make up 48% of the population, making them a plurality. Most Broward "Hispanics" (or should I say mestizos, I really can't stand that word after using it for a while), live in the suburbs. The nicer parts of town. Yes, it's true, Fort Lauderdale is under 10% Hispanic, with very slow growth in its Hispanic population, and the nicer surrounding communities like Weston, Davie, Coral Springs,Pembroke Pines etc house most of Broward's Hispanics). Fort Lauderdale (and nearby Pompano Beach) remains a white/black city with an overall population growth rate beginning to verge on negative.
Why would you say "Mestizo " , most of the Hispanics that I know In Boca Raton and Weston are as "white" or should I say "Caucasian " as you are I ?

A "Mestizo " is one of white / Spanish and native Indigenous stock . My sister lives in Weston which is about 50% hispanic and all of her neighbors that are hispanic .... Argentine, Venezuelan , Colombian , Chilean are all fair skinned Caucasians . Mexicans and Central Americans in general now they are mostly "Mestizo " .... we need to be careful when we get into racial / ethnic discussions . I recently read a post on the Los Angeles forum where a poster was complaining that "whites " were leaving LA in droves and he also claimed that only WASP'S ( White Anglo Saxon Protestants ) were white ... I almost busted a rib laughing , as by the twisted logic an American of Italian heritage or an American of French heritage or even an Irish Catholic for that matter are not "white " in his eyes .....

Some of the stupidity and ignorance on this forum is mind boggling !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top