Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM

48 posts, read 178,899 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home that has various remodeling projects done, some without permits. Here are the different renovations:

Circular driveway (they provided a map/survey for this)
Concrete slab for boat on side of house
Garage converted into a media room
Kitchen remodel with granite countertops, new appliances & cabinets
Master bathroom remodel to have tub with jets, new shower and cabinet/mirror
Shed
Hurricane impact windows (i'm pretty sure the owner did the correct permit for this)
Crown moulding

Only the impact windows and maybe the new driveway have permits. Questions:

(1) Which of these are supposed to have permits?
(2) Will the county discover these changes and fine me?
(3) Is it possible to get the permits for these after the fact so that everything is legal?
(4) Will it be possible for me to have future renovations done on the home with permits, with all of these changes?
(5) The appraiser found that the square footage of the house was 300 square feet less than the tax roll. If I try to appeal to the county to get my taxes lowered, will they send someone to measure it and notice all of the unpermitted work?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,366,114 times
Needs a permit - Circular driveway (they provided a map/survey for this)
Needs a permit - Concrete slab for boat on side of house
Needs a permit - Garage converted into a media room
Needs a permit - Hurricane impact windows (i'm pretty sure the owner did the correct permit for this)
No permit needed - Crown moulding

Depends on what was done (did they change things that have to do with water and electrical) - Kitchen remodel with granite countertops, new appliances & cabinets
Depends, most likely yes. - Master bathroom remodel to have tub with jets, new shower and cabinet/mirror
Shed

Make sure there are no open permits, because you will be responsible for the open permits if they aren't closed before you purchase them. Permits go with the home, not the person that opened the permit. I believe you can get permits after the fact, but with a BIG but. You are opening yourself up to a lot more than you think, if things weren't properly installed. The county will make you make it right, if something isn't properly installed/built. I bet a lot of homes sell without permitted projects. I know the house next to me which sold recently, has a non permitted garage turned bedroom.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM

48 posts, read 178,899 times
Thank you doggiebus, do you have any insight into my other questions?

Old 05-04-2013, 03:23 PM

22,182 posts, read 29,135,431 times
This hous sounds like a headache. You can't find something else that isn't a money pit????

Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,728,376 times
Oh boy this is a ditsy if spectic!!! All ground work needs permit! Trust me not worth it!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,728,376 times
Also tell us where and we can say how heavy handed or laced they are.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,644,447 times
Stay far away from that place. Miami-Dade county is the most corrupt in the whole state. I know first hand because when my dad threw out the code inspector from his home they retaliated by sending in the building department, They made up all kinds of violations on a home that has not changed since 1960! It drove him to his grave. I had to go to the mayor's office and down to their permitting center to get them to drop the whole mess. A lawsuit also helped speed the closing of the matter. They had put in to condemn the whole house but I happened to be there when the inspector came to take a look. He was quite surprised and thought he had the wrong address. Every home in the area has at least three violations and selective enforcement awaits anyone who gets under the county's radar. The use extortion holding fines of 5,000.00 - 200,000.00 as a way to dispossess you. My advice, avoid the county altogether or just find the rare, unimproved home.

Funny thing, with all the hassle the county gave my dad they never said anything about the doors we replaced, or all the carpentry we did to fix rot back in the 1980's. Of course, all the work done looked exactly like the original. If it looks the same in pictures, there is nothing the greedy code enforcement can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: