Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times

Advertisements

Well I happened to see an ad for this and I thought "is that show still actually on tv?" To my surprise not only is it on, it's in it's second season. So I click it cuz I wanna see how in the world could anybody make a show about an airport exciting? Like what are they gonna do? Show frustrated travelers delay drama? Baggage handlers day to day struggle? What could possibly be interesting about an airport?

So I looked it up and thought - oh well duh! I forgot we are talking about Miami. Lots of drama - all the wrong kind!

Airport 24/7: Miami: Travel Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
It's an airport. If you don't think you can make a show about it then you don't know what it takes to run a HUGE international airport. First the things which happen at MIA are no different than JFK, LAX, Chicago, London or Tokyo.

Anyway I've seen all the episodes as I am an aviation fan and its just TV. It's not something I enjoy a lot because it being TV they make some very simple everyday things very very over dramatic. But it does show the good work many people do at MIA especially customs and border protection.

MIA is one of th most interesting airports in the country too. It has the largest amount of international cargo in the US and 2nd in International travelers so that makes it a good airport to film as there are more problems and interesting precautions with international flights both passenger and cargo. MIA is probably the most important economic engine in South Florida too.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
It's not just a Miami thing. There used to be a show a few years ago that centered around Southwest Airlines and would rotate between different airports. It was called Airline. Ran for a few years.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,549 times
Yeah it's not the first tv show that shows the things that happen at airports,I used to watch that other show and they showed Ft.Lauderdale/Hollywood intl airport pretty often.If I remember that show wasn't as scary as the Airport 24/7 Miami,in that show I remember minor things like drunk passengers trying to board planes,a woman going to meet a high school boyfriend she hasn't seen in 50 years,issues with tickets etc..In this new Miami show we've got planes running into each other on the runway,a bus hitting an overpass with people dying,a car getting into an accident with the car flipping over,a bomb scare,etc..I think I like the other show better,too much tragedy in this one.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Yeah it's not the first tv show that shows the things that happen at airports,I used to watch that other show and they showed Ft.Lauderdale/Hollywood intl airport pretty often.If I remember that show wasn't as scary as the Airport 24/7 Miami,in that show I remember minor things like drunk passengers trying to board planes,a woman going to meet a high school boyfriend she hasn't seen in 50 years,issues with tickets etc..In this new Miami show we've got planes running into each other on the runway,a bus hitting an overpass with people dying,a car getting into an accident with the car flipping over,a bomb scare,etc..I think I like the other show better,too much tragedy in this one.
The other show was solely about Southwest Airlines. Following ticket agents around is a lot different than following airport directors, firefighters and border patrol. MIA 24/7 is what really happens when running one of the worlds busiest and important airports.

There used to be a show on BCC called airport which focused on London Heathrow. It was a good show.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
Ok, I've been watching the first episode of this reality show and I'm still trying to see the excitement behind it... I'm not going to bash it yet. I'll keep on watching the show just to see if something interesting develops.

Well, at least it's educational and I'm sure any info I find there will come in handy once I become a regular traveler...

On another note, it's good to see more shows poping out from Miami. I'm still waiting for the next BIG AMERICAN SITCOM made in Miami

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
I watch Airport 24/7: Miami. I like it because it's rather realistic. It's not a dumb, overly-dramatic reality show with catty women arguing over something they said a year ago. It's a real show about real airport employees, and it makes me appreciate more of what they do. It also does teach you quite a bit of what they do.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I watch Airport 24/7: Miami. I like it because it's rather realistic. It's not a dumb, overly-dramatic reality show with catty women arguing over something they said a year ago. It's a real show about real airport employees, and it makes me appreciate more of what they do. It also does teach you quite a bit of what they do.
I suppose it has some good parts. Just couldn't stand the head of security from the first season--there was one episode where a guy gets detained and she says, "WE HAVE A SITUATION WITH A POSSIBLE TERRORIST HERE!!" Bit over the top for someone in that position to start throwing around the "T" word, even on a reality show.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I know a ton about aviation and I will say the show is above average in teaching people and showing people how the airport works. It is still American TV and it is 100% over dramatic. In one of the recent episodes the race car driver was driving an airport SUV to test the runway for the lambo shot and drive down the runway. They were driving West down runway 27. And they started saying we got to move a plane is coming in a plane is coming in behind us its coming etc.. And then they show an A380 landing on the same runway in the opposite direction and a different time of day. Obviously stock footage.

There are a few other times where they are over dramatic but overall for the normal American who knows nothing about aviation it is a decent show and it is not too dramatic or fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: