Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 24,439 times

Advertisements

Moving to downtown Miami or Miami Beach at the end of the summer. This is going out to any Chicago transplants on the forum. What do you miss the most? Not miss the most? How different is the cultural mentality? I'm not here to pit the two cities against each other on their obvious differences such as weather and demographics, or say which place is better at anything but more or less wondering about differences in vibe and certain things it takes a while to realize.

The only real concerns I have seem to be the most natural such as culture shock. What were the biggest mental changes for you? I have lived in Chicago my whole life although I have traveled a lot and have an open mind.

It seems Miami gets pretty hated on in this forum somewhat unjustly. Seems like a lot of sheltered people moved to Miami thinking it would be like their hometown but in tropical (or subtropical, lets not go there) paradise. I know what I'm getting myself into for the most part and am excited to embrace new challenges. Anyone from NYC, Philly from a similar urban vibe chime in too, love to hear your comments. Would love to hear comments on just South Florida in general as well.

If anyone wants to know my feelings on Chicago for comparison reasons, just ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Do you like New Yorkers?

Old 05-18-2013, 12:42 PM

23 posts, read 84,824 times
I'm from South Florida and live in Chicago now, but looking to move back down to FL. I would say that one of the biggest differences between Chicago and Miami besides weather, are the different cultures you will be exposed to. Chicago has tons of cultures too, particularly Polish, Asian, former Russian countries, Spanish-speaking countries, etc. South Florida has much more of a Caribbean flavor and even moreso a prominent Latin culture so there is a large variety of different accents and foods and all that.

I moved to South Florida when I was 12 from WA State and I experienced a huge culture shock because I was not used to everyone speaking Spanish around me and felt like I was the minority (which is particularly true in some areas). I would also say that SoFLA residents aren't necessarily the most kind/helpful people either, yes that is a general statement. I have found Chicago residents to be much more friendlier, polite, and helpful. Also, if you have a car or are going to be getting one, don't expect anyone to allow you in front of them in traffic.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any other info

Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 PM

318 posts, read 624,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmooth56 View Post
Moving to downtown Miami or Miami Beach at the end of the summer. This is going out to any Chicago transplants on the forum. What do you miss the most? Not miss the most? How different is the cultural mentality? I'm not here to pit the two cities against each other on their obvious differences such as weather and demographics, or say which place is better at anything but more or less wondering about differences in vibe and certain things it takes a while to realize.

The only real concerns I have seem to be the most natural such as culture shock. What were the biggest mental changes for you? I have lived in Chicago my whole life although I have traveled a lot and have an open mind.

It seems Miami gets pretty hated on in this forum somewhat unjustly. Seems like a lot of sheltered people moved to Miami thinking it would be like their hometown but in tropical (or subtropical, lets not go there) paradise. I know what I'm getting myself into for the most part and am excited to embrace new challenges. Anyone from NYC, Philly from a similar urban vibe chime in too, love to hear your comments. Would love to hear comments on just South Florida in general as well.

If anyone wants to know my feelings on Chicago for comparison reasons, just ask!
If you read the posts on this forum, the minority that dislike miami are not sheltered people that moved to Miami thinking it would be like their hometown. It is a minority of people that can't speak spanish and is unable to find a decent job, or people who is simply jealous of spanish speaking miamians and their good standard of living.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 PM

Ruski - I love New Yorkers, they feel like my urban brothers!

Nolegal - Im excited for a different spectrum of cultures and look forward to all the new things i can take from each one to enjoy. Fortunately Ive lived and worked in parts of Chicago that have been heavily Spanish in language but I know Miami will be a whole different type of immersion. More languages I learn the better! Im still waiting to find that magic urban place on earth where traffic is pleasant, but you aren't the first person I've seen comment on here on rude south florida driving, so ready to roll with the punches. Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Alex - I agree with you that the most of the bashers are closed minded toward accepting new things. Thank you for elaborating, hopefully it is just a minority!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Keep in mind Miami is really not that urban

it's hot as hell so you rarely find anyone outside. As long as you don't mind the car culture, you will be fine.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Oh, and don't hope to easily find good pizza.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM

Is living in North Beach doable without a car? Id be willing to take public transit about an hour each way to my job I dont have yet lol.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Is living in North Beach doable without a car? Id be willing to take public transit about an hour each way to my job I dont have yet lol.
It is doable. The commute would depend on where specifically is your job. If it's Downtown (or near it) I'd guess more or less 40-50 minutes each way. There's loads of bus lines that frequently go through nearly the whole of Miami Beach. But not ideal, as you probably know already - especially as there's no Metrorail, Metromover nor other types of Public Transit in that area.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Getting a job is difficult here, now getting a job that is doable without a car is 100x more difficult
This ain't Chicago. Our public transportation is poorly designed. Going from point A to point B might mean taking 3 different buses. We have nasty weather(snowstorms and windy days are nothing comapared to thunderstorms and 100+ heat index with 90% humidity

Please don't move here without a job and a car. That is recipe for disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami