Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I'm not suggesting u leave the US....
My point was .... For spanish speakers to demand American english speakers to learn spanish is ludacris.... it should be one's choice to learn a new language or not. Not forced upon you.
I agree with you, nothing irritates me more then going into a store or a place where I count on customer service and no one speaks English (Walmart!!!!!!) I am Cuban but look Anglo so I get away with making them struggle and express my concern/ rage with management. I also think of my kids and what they struggle with with jobs and I tried really hard to try to speak Spanish at home. It is really hard to speak Spanish at home when your husband is white non Hispanic.

The above being said, in Miami if you are dealing with the public or customer service at all Spanish and English will get you more job possibility. I ran a heavy equipment distribution firm that Carter's to Latin America. Expeditions HAD to speak both languages, accountants didn't, the Receptionist had no other choice.

If we are the hub for export to Latin America this has to be understood. Now I feel I have to learn Portugese and Russian to be competitive not to mention Mandrian, but not just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not feel like giving a statistics lesson; I will just state that even with your map, if a person has type O, they still have good possibility of not having any amerindian or mestizo in them; it would be a false asumption to state otherwise has even your chart shows, up to 45% of almost the entire Asian and European continents have type O. So if a person claims they do not have any native americas in them, they have a good probability of being truthful. This is no different if someone claims to have native americas blood in them and are type A or something; would you challenge them on their claim?
I actually would... an amerindian will have the blood type O no matter what. I'm sorry, but when in South America, the blood type O is the closest thing you can get when trying to figure out whether or not a mestizo looking person has amerindian ancestry. This is more useful when you can see the obvious amerindian traits on a person who wants to deny his amerindian past.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I actually would... an amerindian will have the blood type O no matter what. I'm sorry, but when in South America, the blood type O is the closest thing you can get when trying to figure out whether or not a mestizo looking person has amerindian ancestry. This is more useful when you can see the obvious amerindian traits on a person who wants to deny his amerindian past.
I see your logic. Two type O cannot have an A or B, since most mixing took place so long ago, those blood types were almost wiped out. Our family has both Type A and O.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I agree with you, nothing irritates me more then going into a store or a place where I count on customer service and no one speaks English (Walmart!!!!!!) I am Cuban but look Anglo so I get away with making them struggle and express my concern/ rage with management. I also think of my kids and what they struggle with with jobs and I tried really hard to try to speak Spanish at home. It is really hard to speak Spanish at home when your husband is white non Hispanic.

The above being said, in Miami if you are dealing with the public or customer service at all Spanish and English will get you more job possibility. I ran a heavy equipment distribution firm that Carter's to Latin America. Expeditions HAD to speak both languages, accountants didn't, the Receptionist had no other choice.

If we are the hub for export to Latin America this has to be understood. Now I feel I have to learn Portugese and Russian to be competitive not to mention Mandrian, but not just yet.
But why do you make them talk in English? I respond in whatever language they talk to me in. I honestly want Miami to become a bilingual city in with a slight bias towards Spanish . I want our schools to be fully Bilingual with non Hispanics going into an ESOL program so they learn Spanish and Hispanics that only speak Spanish staying in the current ESOL system so that the entire student body can be fully bilingual.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
But why do you make them talk in English? I respond in whatever language they talk to me in. I honestly want Miami to become a bilingual city in with a slight bias towards Spanish . I want our schools to be fully Bilingual with non Hispanics going into an ESOL program so they learn Spanish and Hispanics that only speak Spanish staying in the current ESOL system so that the entire student body can be fully bilingual.
So, you want to force everyone to learn Spanish, yet you state:

Quote:
yes there is a reason i should speak Spanish. it's so you monolinguals have an incentive to become bilingual like the rest of us and open your mind a little. not that that's the only incentive or reason. it's more about preserving our cultural heritage but Hispanics speaking Spanish certainly is an incentive to learn spanish.
Meaning the YOU believe that Spanish is linked to preserving your heritage; yet you want to deny entire communities of non-Hispanics (even Hispanics who do not care for speaking Spanish, which there are plenty) the right to preserve their heritage by forcing them to learn Spanish? This sounds more like a bigoted rant more than anything else.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
So, if I respond to you in Russian, you are going to respond back in Russian?

No, you do not want a slight bias towards Spanish, your other posts have clearly stated otherwise.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
Meanwhile in Quebec ... someone's shaking their head and rolling their eyes.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
As I stated; type O is the most common blood type in the world. The probability is high that for any random person, they will have type O blood, some populations higher than others.

A person could have type O blood and be from Argentina, yet not have a drop of blood from people native to the Americas. Your assumption is they do have mixed based off of only one factor, though even though type O is the most common blood type in the world. Parts of Africa have upwards 90% of the population with type O and parts of Europe upwards 70%.

As for the phenotype characteristics, I agree with you on that as being an indicator.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
So, you want to force everyone to learn Spanish, yet you state:

Meaning the YOU believe that Spanish is linked to preserving your heritage; yet you want to deny entire communities of non-Hispanics (even Hispanics who do not care for speaking Spanish, which there are plenty) the right to preserve their heritage by forcing them to learn Spanish? This sounds more like a bigoted rant more than anything else.
I'm not denying Americans anything. I'm for requiring both Hispanics and non Hispanics alike to learn both English and Spanish.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
So, if I respond to you in Russian, you are going to respond back in Russian?

No, you do not want a slight bias towards Spanish, your other posts have clearly stated otherwise.
any language I know genius. I would have thought that was self-explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami