Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM

31 posts, read 49,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The trains are agile?

In any case, the MetroRail is heavy rail, and it goes over intersections perfectly. There are plenty of commuter rail lines that have grade-separated crossings. It's just that it's usually not worth it when you're further out and there's little traffic on the intersecting roads.

Usually, light rail trains stop at every stop, because most of the time, somebody is getting on/off. It's not like a bus where the next stop is two blocks away and there's a good chance that some stops will have no riders getting on/off.

I think both Tri-Rail and a light rail system next to each other is overkill. Just add some good feeder buses to the Tri-Rail stations (or improve the existing ones), and call it a day.
well they are not trains, they are trams, trollies or street cars, depending on where you are from.

Yes, Metrorail goes over intersections. It is all elevated. The point was that the entire line would not have to be elevated but over only major intersections.

Having lived years near a T line, I know for a fact that if no one is on the platform, the trolley does not stop.

The western suburbs are just that. Suburbs. The point of a light-rail line is to promote more density in the heart of the old cities and towns and, hopefully prevent more sprawl like we have created west of 95.

This is a unique opportunity for Florida recognize what most of the world has already. sprawl is not sustainable. That is why there is so much congestion. You would have us spend billions of dollars for more & wider highways but pennies for mass transit. Its just not sustainable.

"Smart Growth"
"Sustainable Growth"
"Land Use"
"Pedestrian Friendly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanz View Post
well they are not trains, they are trams, trollies or street cars, depending on where you are from.
Ooooookkkkkkaaaaayyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPlanz View Post
Yes, Metrorail goes over intersections. It is all elevated. The point was that the entire line would not have to be elevated but over only major intersections.
This is false.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
.... Of course the prolem is money.
Stadiums.
ArtsPark and museums.
Tunnels for truckers.
Interchange reconstructions.
Turning much of Tamiami Trail in to bridges.
We've found the funding source for bringing sewers up to date.
Planned express lanes along US1 with flyover intersections.
Planned expressway expansions west of the Urban Development Boundary.

Nope, not money, it is more a matter of priority!
For the cost of the scrapped north Metrorail line, we could build out light rail throughout central Miami.

What mega projects are going to be planned when the property taxes from the current housing boom start coming in?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Are those the trains with the cables on top? Can they sustain hurricane winds?
Light rail exists in Hong Kong and Japan, two places which experience many my typhoons than we do hurricanes.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Yes, this. The east-west commute seems to be a much bigger problem. North-south at least has some options: tri-rail and metro rail. Whenever I have to drive during rush hour (thank God that's hardly ever) the worst part of the drive is the east-west part. The majority of commuters live out west.
North/South SHOULD have more options because it is the most dense, urban corridor. Nothing personal, but if you move to a gated community in west Kendall, don't expect much in the way of public transportation! Also, most commuters from the west are not necessarily all going downtown.

Question: If Metrorail or light rail were expanded and there were a station in your general neighborhood, could you get to work via Metrorail, or would you have to transfer to a bus, which would be worse than putting up with the traffic? For many people commuting from the suburbs, it is the latter.

I wouldn't mind taking a bus or driving 10-20 minutes to a train and train to work (train-to-train transfers are fine as long as trains are frequent or transfers are properly timed--this is generally NOT currently the case for Tri-rail/Metrorail transfers), it wouldn't be nearly as annoying as driving to a Metrorail park and ride, finding parking in the garage, riding the train downtown, then doubling all the time I just spent waiting for a bus and waiting for the bus to get through downtown traffic.

We really need to expand the system to comprehensively cover urban Miami and major employment centers, before going way out to the suburbs. It needs to be like the DC Metro...their system wouldn't be nearly as successful without its many stations throughout the urban center.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
I don't live in a gated community. And I don't have to commute. I said that the few times I do have to drive during rush hour traffic, it's worse going east/west than north/south. As far as people who live east of US1 being more "deserving" of viable transit options, I don't think so. Not everyone can afford to live on the east side.

I feel that one very often overlooked solution, is working from home. So much can be done in home offices now. It's a shame very few employers let their employees take this option.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I don't live in a gated community. And I don't have to commute. I said that the few times I do have to drive during rush hour traffic, it's worse going east/west than north/south. As far as people who live east of US1 being more "deserving" of viable transit options, I don't think so. Not everyone can afford to live on the east side.

I feel that one very often overlooked solution, is working from home. So much can be done in home offices now. It's a shame very few employers let their employees take this option.
Most people cannot work from home, but more power to you. I'm also glad to hear you dont live in a gated community, as I hate them.

My point is that unless you work in downtown within the Metromover loops, just expanding the Metro line west to your suburb isn't going to help much. It a waste to expand light rail way out into the 'burbs when you still couldn't get where you need to go on the other end.

The fact is, many people DO live clustered near the coast (in some parts this is more east of I-95 than US1)--even on the beaches, and believe me we're not all millionaires.

It all depends where you live relative to employment centers to. Up here in northeast Dade the most hectic traffic is north/south, not east/west. It's in both directions to, since you've got people going down to Miami as well as up to FLL. Similar if you live in South Dade--the north/south direction is bad. So between North Dade and Broward commuters and South Dade commuters, I'd venture to say more people commute north/south than east/west, but I admit this is very speculative.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM

There are so many more people that can work from home that aren't. Employers just aren't implementing telecommuting as they should be.

If they would improve the bus system so you don't have to wait half hour for it and then change buses and wait another half hour for your connection, maybe more people would use them.

I don't know if north/south has more commuters than east/west but I don know that most people that commute east/west must also commute north/south so it's a double whammy. I don't know how people do that every day. I'd need some good drugs to help me manage that!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I used to do that mostly every day for years... West-east, south-north for school and dentist. I prefer taking public transport than actually driving, to be honest. Driving is boring, tense and you barely enjoy the cityscape. Just sitting (sometimes laying) and relaxing and looking out the window contemplating the ride or reading a book... you can't do that when driving. You eventually make ride friends too... I made few.

If only Miami had a different climate... things would be easier and more comfortable.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM

I would prefer it too if it didn't take twice as long or longer to get to your destination. I hate driving on the highways in Miami and the older I get the more I hate it. I'm ready to move to a one light town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami