Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 AM

19 posts, read 37,783 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am considering moving to Miami (as my job allows me to do it from pretty much anywhere) from NYC. I am young professional (25) and do love the party scene, which I know Miami is (in)famous for. I WAS considering LA, but 100% of my family is based in NYC, and I am very family oriented and LA is just too far a distance. My question to you guys is that if you could give me a run down on Miami, including best area to live (i.e. most affluent -- think beverly hills or manhattan, and yes, I can afford it), differences between Miami, Miami Beach, South Beach, etc. (or is it the same thing??) best area to live in for nightlife, pros and cons, etc.

EDIT: Also, if you could recommend any good places to live in Florida in general that are not too far away from Miami's nightlife, that'd be great.

Last edited by Dahrklite; 06-19-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:08 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,921,788 times
Beverly Hills= Coral Gables

Bal Harbour

Manhattan= Brickell

Miami is the working class side mostly, Miami Beach is the playground for locals and tourists from all over the world.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,806,445 times
Beverly Hills = Coral Gables

Only certain parts of Coral Gables can be compared to Beverly Hills. All sections are nice but they don't all stack up to Beverly Hills.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:59 AM

9,329 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Beverly Hills= Coral Gables

Bal Harbour

Manhattan= Brickell

Miami is the working class side mostly, Miami Beach is the playground for locals and tourists from all over the world.
Miami-Dade County consists of many municipalities and some unincorporated areas, as well as neighborhoods with their own names and in some cases characters.

Miami Beach is a municipality, South Beach is a neighborhood at the southern end of Miami Beach. Bal Harbour is a municipality further north along the coast, more of an older crowd than South Beach.

Coral Gables is a separate municipality, and, yes, I suppose analogous to Beverly Hills (without the hills).

Brickell is a neighborhood in the City of Miami proper and, yes, analogous to Manhattan.

There is also downtown Miami neighborhood, also in the City of Miami, just north of Brickell, or Coconut Grove neighborhood, also in the City of Miami, just south of Brickell.

In your case, I would consider a condo tower in Miami Beach, Brickell, downtown or Coconut Grove, or perhaps further north up the beach in Miami Beach, Sunny Isles (municipality), Bal Harbour (municipality), or Aventura (municipality).

Outside of Miami-Dade County, in your case you could consider the coastal part of the municipality of Hollywood (Broward County), the Las Olas section of Fort Lauderdale (main city in Broward County), the Mizner Park section of Boca Raton (Palm Beach County), but more of an older crowd, perhaps Deerfield Beach just south of it (Broward County) would be better for the younger crowd, or perhaps Delray Beach just north of Boca Raton (Palm Beach County), and the CityPlace section of West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County).

All these places also have condo towers and/or townhouses.

Further afield, on the west coast with access to airports, you might consider Naples, Sarasota, Saint Petersburg and Tampa.

These are good points to start your research, now consult a map, paper or internet, and see for yourself.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-19-2013 at 03:22 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,978,796 times
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...237cd0fd254811 This map is a must see. Will give you a good idea. Also visiting in August for 7-10 days and spending time on Miami Beach for only a Friday night and Saturday is a must. Stay in Brickell, rent a car and spend the day like you would where you live now. Explore other parts away from tourist areas.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,333,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahrklite View Post
Hello all. I am considering moving to Miami (as my job allows me to do it from pretty much anywhere) from NYC. I am young professional (25) and do love the party scene, which I know Miami is (in)famous for. I WAS considering LA, but 100% of my family is based in NYC, and I am very family oriented and LA is just too far a distance. My question to you guys is that if you could give me a run down on Miami, including best area to live (i.e. most affluent -- think beverly hills or manhattan, and yes, I can afford it), differences between Miami, Miami Beach, South Beach, etc. (or is it the same thing??) best area to live in for nightlife, pros and cons, etc.

EDIT: Also, if you could recommend any good places to live in Florida in general that are not too far away from Miami's nightlife, that'd be great.
Dahrklite

Lets keep it real (I'm From Brooklyn) saying "Manhattan" means nothing. Taft Houses is Manhattan, so is the polo grounds, and many other crap holes. So define what your talking about. Do you mean Upper East Side, Chelsea, Morningside Heights? Or are we talking Inwood, Washington Heights or East Harlem?

If it is the Chelsea, Morningside Heights of things; well to be honest, you are not going to find that sorta living in Miami, its a different beast. Your not going to find anything comparable to Manhattan in Miami, period, its just not the same thing. Now if you are looking for the fake, get money, powder on the nose crowd, then check south beach. If you want a young professional crowd then brickell is your place. You want family oriented but still can go out and walk to restaurants, shops and look at the ocean then Coconut Grove. Another option would be Downtown Coral Gables but now your getting further away from the center of things. If you want something not super affluent but still in the mix, then i would look at edgwater/wynwood/mid-town.

Hope that helps

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,921,788 times
Yea, Miami is the youngest big city in the U.S., maybe the world I am not certain. South Beach is where you want to be for partying. If you want Beverly Hills there are the beautiful expensive mansions in the middle of Biscayne Bay,Star Island and Hibiscus Island, Bal harbour for its shopping and Coral Gables with its strict zoning codes. Brickell is an up and coming area for young professionals,a financial district with vast amount of things to do along with the comfort of metromover.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,803,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Miami-Dade County consists of many municipalities and some unincorporated areas, as well as neighborhoods with their own names and in some cases characters.

Miami Beach is a municipality, South Beach is a neighborhood at the southern end of Miami Beach. Bal Harbour is a municipality further north along the coast, more of an older crowd than South Beach.

Coral Gables is a separate municipality, and, yes, I suppose analogous to Beverly Hills (without the hills).

Brickell is a neighborhood in the City of Miami proper and, yes, analogous to Manhattan.

There is also downtown Miami neighborhood, also in the City of Miami, just north of Brickell, or Coconut Grove neighborhood, also in the City of Miami, just south of Brickell.

In your case, I would consider a condo tower in Miami Beach, Brickell, downtown or Coconut Grove, or perhaps further north up the beach in Miami Beach, Sunny Isles (municipality), Bal Harbour (municipality), or Aventura (municipality).

Outside of Miami-Dade County, in your case you could consider the coastal part of the municipality of Hollywood (Broward County), the Las Olas section of Fort Lauderdale (main city in Broward County), the Mizner Park section of Boca Raton (Palm Beach County), but more of an older crowd, perhaps Deerfield Beach just south of it (Broward County) would be better for the younger crowd, or perhaps Delray Beach just north of Boca Raton (Palm Beach County), and the CityPlace section of West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County).

All these places also have condo towers and/or townhouses.

Further afield, on the west coast with access to airports, you might consider Naples, Sarasota, Saint Petersburg and Tampa.

These are good points to start your research, now consult a map, paper or internet, and see for yourself.

Good Luck!

Sounds like the guy wants to party... He will be bored in Naples or Sarasota. Although they are beautiful and affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami