U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,754 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I apologize for the redundancy of this thread, as I'm sure this topic comes up over and over. While I've searched through many of the threads on these forums surrounding the issue of safe, cost-efficient areas to live around Miami I deemed appropriate a personalized thread for my own situation.

For a bit of background, I have recently accepted a graduate student (Master's - 2 year program) position at FIU and am currently searching for the optimal place to live during my two years of study. I am originally from suburban/rural Tennessee but have spent time living in a variety of locations: French cities, a Maine fishing town, a Colorado ranch, and Orlando. I am an outdoorsman (i.e. backpacking, camping, horseback riding, swimming, SCUBA, etc.) and certainly not a city person. Given the position at FIU, though, I feel that I can make the Miami area my home for 2 years (occasional jaunts into the city, the beaches, Biscayne Bay, the Everglades, and the Keys). My current problem, though, is where that home should be.

I would be coming down with my girlfriend (we are both in our early 20's) and small (16 lb.) terrier dog. In hearing things about crime and the like in Miami (and having past problems with break-ins in our hometowns), safety is our primary concern. Then comes budget (not exceeding $1100 for a 1 BR/1 BA apartment, condo, or house rental - preferably not a studio), then proximity to FIU. I would like to avoid (ha!) living in the hub of the city and am looking for quieter (again, ha!) areas of town.

In doing some self-study (and with input from my contacts at the university), I've started looking into areas such as Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Pinecrest, Cutler, Doral, and Fontainebleau. Does anyone on these boards have any input as to the validity of those areas or other areas into which I should look? Any specific areas to avoid? Any reputable apartment complexes or the like to which I should pay attention?

Again, I apologize for the monotony this thread must continue, but I would appreciate any response from Miami-savvy users. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 21,604,857 times
All the areas you are looking are great, you should be able to find something in your budget at each. You could add the City of South Miami (stay east of US1) since you are looking at the gables and the grove already. There are a few apartments in close walking distance to restaurants, shops, bars.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,587,703 times
I would avoid the fountainblue area compleltely, very congested and certainly not calm. One bed rooms for your budget can be had but in the Kendall area.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM

320 posts, read 586,994 times
Fontainebleau is very safe. Why would you say it is unsafe? That'd be the best option if you are a FIU student.

East of US 1? that does not make sense.

Fontainbleau is centrally located, close to FIU, Dolphin Mall, International Mall, the airport, 23 minutes from Miami beach (15 miles), Walmart, Mall of the Americas, Tiger Direct, Costco, Doral, Flanigans, Chilis, surrounded by many corporations, Fountainbleau is a very nice area.

This apartment complex is nice and is occupied by middle and upper middle class residents, FIU students, and international workers (I have met French/Germans) that have internships in Doral companies.

http://www.trulia.com/property/31168...Miami-FL-33172

Fontaineblue has the best location in Miami. It is close to everything.

East of US1 is for the mega rich who don't have the need to commute to FIU, and for those who don't like entertainment. The best mall down there is Dadeland which is a crappy mall.

Last edited by Alex =]; 06-20-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM

984 posts, read 4,106,820 times
Awfully sorry, but just ignore him, what he says nearly all times go against the opinion of almost everybody and it isn't true mostly (as you can see - just mind that it isn't personal at all; just what we can see here in the forum)....although, although, yes, Fountainbleau is fine, mostly safe, but you should probably consider it for a large 1bd/1.5ba (even possibly a small 2bd/1ba); same for Doral - but more suburban and family oriented (much better overall, in my opinion - and more pricey though).

Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and Pinecrest are all great, safe, no problems - but expensive mostly - but you can get something...the buildings a few blocks east of the US-1 in South Miami are mostly quite proper and fine, there's Pinecrest east of the US-1 (near Kendall Dr, Ludlam Rd and down to about SW 104th St) plus places scattered throughout CGrove and the Gables (just avoid the notorious West Grove (which is basically the Grove when west of 32nd Ave.

Besides that, you should probably consider Midtown (east of the US-1), for something more central and urban. And maybe University Park too and Kendall (preferably the 104th St area near MDC for this price range) for a reasonable budget. University Park is the same neighborhood as the FIU, and very underrated (very safe, probably one of the safest areas in West and SW Dade), quiet, nice enough, etc.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 PM

320 posts, read 586,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Awfully sorry, but just ignore him, what he says nearly all times go against the opinion of almost everybody and it isn't true mostly (as you can see - just mind that it isn't personal at all; just what we can see here in the forum)....although, although, yes, Fountainbleau is fine, mostly safe, but you should probably consider it for a large 1bd/1.5ba (even possibly a small 2bd/1ba); same for Doral - but more suburban and family oriented (much better overall, in my opinion - and more pricey though).

Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and Pinecrest are all great, safe, no problems - but expensive mostly - but you can get something...the buildings a few blocks east of the US-1 in South Miami are mostly quite proper and fine, there's Pinecrest east of the US-1 (near Kendall Dr, Ludlam Rd and down to about SW 104th St) plus places scattered throughout CGrove and the Gables (just avoid the notorious West Grove (which is basically the Grove when west of 32nd Ave.

Besides that, you should probably consider Midtown (east of the US-1), for something more central and urban. And maybe University Park too and Kendall (preferably the 104th St area near MDC for this price range) for a reasonable budget. University Park is the same neighborhood as the FIU, and very underrated (very safe, probably one of the safest areas in West and SW Dade), quiet, nice enough, etc.

Jacob, are you still hurt because I said your map is not accurate?

Don't be hurt papo. And now you tell other forumers to ignore me because I did not agree with your highly innacurate map where you are obviously biased towards Miami areas east of US1.

then you tell the OP:

"Although yes fontainebleau is fine"...

I imagine how you treat your wife... you probably tell people to ignore her, she likes to lie and then agree with her saying she was telling the truth.

Very macho attitude. Are you brazilian?

Last edited by Alex =]; 06-20-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 9,727,800 times
I used to live in FBB and can speak to it. Both posters were right, FBB is in a great location if you live/work/study in West Miami Dade. So yes, convenient for FIU for sure. Plenty of shopping around and not dangerous in general. With that said, it is certainly not the best area of Miami by most people's standards, there are many dated condo and apartment complexes, some lower-middle class, others upper or just middle of the road. To call it congested is an understatement. It is hard to get in/out in the AM rush. The major arteries which border it are consistently clogged as well. When I went to FIU, most out of the area students (like in your case) would live in West Kendall and commute, but there certainly were many who lived in FBB, the Gables, Miami Beach...all the places you mentioned. It just depends on what area you want and what you value. I would suggest something in an area you will like (like the Gables, Coconut Grove maybe?) since they have a special vibe, you live amongst what people want to Miami for-beauty, nice scenery, lots of nature, general desireability). FBB is just a rat race and overpriced for what it is....but a lot of people need to live in that area bc of all the employment centers and schools nearby and they most likely have kids and multiple cars, so the suburban lifestyle is better accomadated there-only problem being that dream has faded as Miami turned into a major metro and there are just nicer areas to be in general. So weigh your options and look for a place that works for you.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 PM

10,848 posts, read 14,789,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex =] View Post
fontaineblue has the best location in miami. It is close to everything.
rofl

Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,587,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I used to live in FBB and can speak to it. Both posters were right, FBB is in a great location if you live/work/study in West Miami Dade. So yes, convenient for FIU for sure. Plenty of shopping around and not dangerous in general. With that said, it is certainly not the best area of Miami by most people's standards, there are many dated condo and apartment complexes, some lower-middle class, others upper or just middle of the road. To call it congested is an understatement. It is hard to get in/out in the AM rush. The major arteries which border it are consistently clogged as well. When I went to FIU, most out of the area students (like in your case) would live in West Kendall and commute, but there certainly were many who lived in FBB, the Gables, Miami Beach...all the places you mentioned. It just depends on what area you want and what you value. I would suggest something in an area you will like (like the Gables, Coconut Grove maybe?) since they have a special vibe, you live amongst what people want to Miami for-beauty, nice scenery, lots of nature, general desireability). FBB is just a rat race and overpriced for what it is....but a lot of people need to live in that area bc of all the employment centers and schools nearby and they most likely have kids and multiple cars, so the suburban lifestyle is better accomadated there-only problem being that dream has faded as Miami turned into a major metro and there are just nicer areas to be in general. So weigh your options and look for a place that works for you.

Thank you for summing it up. The reason I said FBB was not for him was because they were from the country side in Tenn. I had to go through that area to go to work in Doral and the traffic and congestion was horrible! Too many apartments concentrated in one location and he didn't want to live close to the city.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,181,375 times
See if you can find something in the Kendall/South Miami area east of 107th Ave and south of SW 56 St. Probably the best balance of less congestion and not having a bad commute...Fountainbleu/Doral/West Kendall are viable options from a commuting perspective, but the day-to-day congestion can really suck. Coral Gables/Coconut Grove are also nice areas but would be a crappy commute (you're pretty much stuck taking surface streets with a bunch of lights along the way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami