Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 46,651 times

Advertisements

hi this july i'm going off to miami 20 days. ill go by myself.

im 20 years old. im really not a clubber (i barely go out) and i dont drink nor smoke.

i have my flight tickets however i still havent booked the hotel. is the whole miami beach area safe?

last year i went to nyc with my 16 year old sister. we went to a summer school there and we just basically met at the hotel at 8 or 9 pm and slept in till next day. it was amazing however we only hung out on midtown downtown manhattan.

im not looking forward to meeting new people. im looking forward to have a good time and enjoy my vacation however some people look at me like im about to throw myself into a jungle. "you're going alone??" "be careful miami its very dangerous" or "you're going to pass out of boredom if you go alone" . i admit i've never been there before and as the date approaches i'm feeling a little bit more nervous each day. i admit i enjoy being alone however on this trip ill be all by myself. in case of emergency or if something happens i have my mom's friend who lives there.

im looking forward going to restaurants, jet skiing and driving- (i love it)

i'll rent a car with gps. some people have told me to avoid the overtown and downton.

i also have heard some pretty fancy restaurants might go however won't i look awkward sitting all there by myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Yes, Miami Beach is overall pretty safe. There's not really any area where you would fear for your safety.

Miami can be dangerous, but as long as you avoid the dangerous areas (which isn't hard) you'll be fine. If you're staying at the beach you will be avoiding anything dangerous anyway.

There is a lot to see in Miami, obviously I'm sure you'll take some days out to go to the beach, but you might also want to explore the Everglades, the Keys, the vast amount of shopping Miami has, Key Biscayne/Bill Baggs State Park, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, etc. The biggest question is what are you interested in seeing?

You should avoid Overtown as well as an area known as Liberty City, but honestly I can't imagine any attractions in which a GPS would take you into those locations.

Downtown can be a little rough but nothing to really worry about. The further south and east you are the safer it is. Brickell is another area you may want to check out.

Personally, when I travel alone I usually just get fast food, something from the supermarket or if I dine out it's at a place with outdoor dining so I can people watch.

You probably will be nervous and might possibly regret coming, but just remember that the only reason you're having those feelings is because you're unfamiliar with the area. If you were to go some place you've been hundreds of times before, you wouldn't think twice about it. Traveling to a new place alone can be overwhelming, but if you understand that before you go it will help you cope with those feelings as they develop.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
As far as safety goes as long as you stay in the blue and green shaded areas that I'm about to give you, you will be fine as long as you apply common sense. here is said map https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...237cd0fd254811. now besides safety concerns I must ask what areas of Miami were you planing to stay? would you like to stay on the beach or were you looking to visit the everglades and the other natural preserves that we have or perhaps you were planning to stay near the cultural sites? either way you will be fine as long as you avoid the orange and red shaded areas at all costs.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,342 times
Keep in mind most hotels will not rent a room to anyone under 21, and you will have trouble renting a car as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
Keep in mind most hotels will not rent a room to anyone under 21, and you will have trouble renting a car as well.
i have it already rented with hertz the min age is 20.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted183 View Post
i have it already rented with hertz the min age is 20.
Miami Beach really isn't a place for people under 21. Hertz is a car rental, they do rent to people under 21. But most HOTELS on Miami Beach do not rent to people under 21. If you are under 21, you might want to look into a hostel. All clubs in South Beach are 21+

Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 AM

318 posts, read 624,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted183 View Post
hi this july i'm going off to miami 20 days. ill go by myself.

im 20 years old. im really not a clubber (i barely go out) and i dont drink nor smoke.

i have my flight tickets however i still havent booked the hotel. is the whole miami beach area safe?

last year i went to nyc with my 16 year old sister. we went to a summer school there and we just basically met at the hotel at 8 or 9 pm and slept in till next day. it was amazing however we only hung out on midtown downtown manhattan.

im not looking forward to meeting new people. im looking forward to have a good time and enjoy my vacation however some people look at me like im about to throw myself into a jungle. "you're going alone??" "be careful miami its very dangerous" or "you're going to pass out of boredom if you go alone" . i admit i've never been there before and as the date approaches i'm feeling a little bit more nervous each day. i admit i enjoy being alone however on this trip ill be all by myself. in case of emergency or if something happens i have my mom's friend who lives there.

im looking forward going to restaurants, jet skiing and driving- (i love it)

i'll rent a car with gps. some people have told me to avoid the overtown and downton.

i also have heard some pretty fancy restaurants might go however won't i look awkward sitting all there by myself?
Miami Beach

Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
There are plenty of things to do and take it as an adventure. Of course Miami beach lots to do and people watch. Key Biscayne beaches are super nice and you can rent all sorts of water activity gear, like kayaks,boards, etc.

There are fishing charters that are a lot of fun, the Everglades boat rides are awesome just bring bug spray.

Inland we have cool parks if you want to see the old parrot jungle which is now Pinecrest gardens, or tropical park.

Coconut grove and coral gables have nice street side restrurants that you can sit and people watch.

The Redlands have year round farmer'S markets ( here's Roberts) great milkshakes and fresh fruits. Little Havana should be fine during the daytime for some old Florida flair. There is such much to do here and locals only spots that are fun.

And we are not even taking into consideration the keys which are a completely different in atmosphere. So as long as you don't go to Overton or liberty city of parts of Miami that are red on that map you should be fine.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
If you tell us what you 'want' t do we can direct you accordingly. FOr nopn-partying clubbing activities, you also have the seaquarium - Museum of Science, Vizcaya, Charles Deering Estate, Coral Castle, Everglades (as already mentioned). IMHO, Florida Keys are great - even if you don't make it to Key West - I really think if you are not into clubbing, the Keys might be a better fit for a place to stay. I would fly into Miami if I were staying in the keys anyways, so isn't like anything is 'lost' by changing your destination. Better yet, explore both.

To see the 'glades, Sawgrass Recreation Park (in Broward County) and there is a similiar one on the way to Flamingo (which escapes me at the moment), Robert's fruit stand/milkshake shack is on the way to it. Zoo Miami (formerly Metro Zoo) is a GREAT Zoo, animals for the most part are not in cages. Parrot Jungle Island (close to Miami Beach) is expensive, but also nice. I used to go to Parrot Jungle in its former home and my kids have gone to camp at the new location.

Again, if you tell us what you want to do/see/experience we can guide you better. An entertainment budget helps us out too. These are things that when friends visit we try to go out and do. FWIW, I let them go to the beach by themselves, I got enough of the 'Beach' growing up here and I would rather sit in an air conditioned room...

Old 06-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami Beach really isn't a place for people under 21. Hertz is a car rental, they do rent to people under 21. But most HOTELS on Miami Beach do not rent to people under 21. If you are under 21, you might want to look into a hostel. All clubs in South Beach are 21+

yes i know im fully aware of that as i said in my post i wont go to clubbing. I dont drink and ill adjust myself to whatever it is. a hostel is nice. a

ill be 21 in 2 months though but i guess that won't make any difference. Any recommendations of any hostel or something?

Last edited by addicted183; 06-22-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami