Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM

104 posts, read 264,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Generally northern Europeans aren't into threats and monkey gesturing, they either walk away or attack. And when they attack watch out, Blitzkrieg.

The Macho stuff is 100 percent American, you only have to watch those idiotic movies played by John Wayne, etc. A mixture of Irish and Mexican macho alcoholic machismo. If you mix a drunk Irish with Mexican charro, then you have American machismo.

You don't find that crap anywhere. In Miami you find another thing, more "flwaging" (Especuladera) than anything else, but flwaging is not machismo, but plain inmaturity. As I said, many youngsters in Miami are pampered will into their 40's and they barely interact beyond a very limited circle, that's why they are rather clumsy and act as clowns when they go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
It's disingenuous to say there are three widely accepted races, because there aren't. It's a contentious issue among anthropologists and i'd wager to say most are in line with there being no race. Even those who validate race can accept the truth on the other side of the argument, race has no taxonomic significance.
This is like saying there are no different dog breeds.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post
Well, guess what pal? races, as in black, white, etc. don't exist, the only race that exists is the human race. And that's a scientific fact.
No, not a scientific fact.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the US classifies as "races" or whatever.
It does not matter only when convenient for you.

Quote:
Most, if not, all of Latino's who don't know english are the older ones or the ones who just got here. That's why there is bilingual jobs. Plus, there are international jobs that don't do business with just Americans. Especially now that a lot of jobs have left the States. Everyone else knows english. Also, although I haven't looked it up, I wouldn't be surprised if most Latinos know well perfect english and the ones that don't are in the minority, but even that minority is enough to warrant bilingual jobs.
Nice excuse, but counters your previous post that all Latino's are bilingual. So which is it, they all are or are they all not, half and half, 75%?

The poster stated "Are you guys just mad Latinos generally know more than one language...", did not state which language or where the Latino's live. But have to presume we are talking about English and living in Miami.

Quote:
EDIT: This doesn't have to do with the topic so we should stop talking about it.
I agree.

Last edited by boxus; 10-16-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucudrulu View Post
You are assuming that Spanish speakers are all immigrants, when such is not the case. Many come to South Florida to shop, invest or for education or to live in a safe place. Those people might know English, but are more comfortable speaking Spanish, and I find it right. After all, the client is always right.

Also many employers use knowledge of a foreign language for screening purposes. People that know one or several foreign languages are better educated, more open minded, and chances are that he will adapt better to the working environment in South Florida.
Tourists and business people are not using social services offered by the federal and local governments; yet many of these positions require bilingual skills (bilingual in Spanish, some in Creole, everyone else is ignored or expected to know English for some reason). Services like in hospitals, charities, etc, also have a lot of positions that require bilingual skills; basically the lower the socioeconomic level a position deals with, the more likely it will require a bilingual skill set. This is the same for not just Miami, but many cities in the US. But the point of my original post was that the poster I responded to stated all Latino's are bilingual, which is in fact false.

The poster stated "Are you guys just mad Latinos generally know more than one language..."; that means Latino's in general are bilingual, presuming meaning English. So it should not matter where they are from because the poster stated "Latino's", not Latino's living in Miami, tourists, business, etc, just "Latino's: which means all of them unless otherwise noted.

Languages are considered only as a bona fide occupational requirement, or a way to discriminate, one of the two. But thanks for the compliment, I speak two other languages besides English.

Last edited by boxus; 10-16-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucudrulu View Post
The Macho stuff is 100 percent American, you only have to watch those idiotic movies played by John Wayne, etc. A mixture of Irish and Mexican macho alcoholic machismo. If you mix a drunk Irish with Mexican charro, then you have American machismo.

You don't find that crap anywhere. In Miami you find another thing, more "flwaging" (Especuladera) than anything else, but flwaging is not machismo, but plain inmaturity. As I said, many youngsters in Miami are pampered will into their 40's and they barely interact beyond a very limited circle, that's why they are rather clumsy and act as clowns when they go out.
It is not even close to being just an American thing.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not even close to being just an American thing.

It's a homegrown American thing since you don't find any of that crap in LatAm. I have seen a similar thing among "nordafs" in France...but again, you don't have it in North Africa... I guess it's a First World Ghetto Thing.

Last edited by cucudrulu; 10-17-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Tourists and business people are not using social services offered by the federal and local governments; yet many of these positions require bilingual skills (bilingual in Spanish, some in Creole, everyone else is ignored or expected to know English for some reason). Services like in hospitals, charities, etc, also have a lot of positions that require bilingual skills; basically the lower the socioeconomic level a position deals with, the more likely it will require a bilingual skill set. This is the same for not just Miami, but many cities in the US. But the point of my original post was that the poster I responded to stated all Latino's are bilingual, which is in fact false.

The poster stated "Are you guys just mad Latinos generally know more than one language..."; that means Latino's in general are bilingual, presuming meaning English. So it should not matter where they are from because the poster stated "Latino's", not Latino's living in Miami, tourists, business, etc, just "Latino's: which means all of them unless otherwise noted.

Languages are considered only as a bona fide occupational requirement, or a way to discriminate, one of the two. But thanks for the compliment, I speak two other languages besides English.

Most Latinos, I'm referring to the immense majority, are bilingual. English is a very simple language, and pidgin is even simpler. As to the fact that they require bilingual staff, now we are talking about politics...

Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:

That's good. I would never hire a monolingual for any qualified position. People that know different languages have a different perspective, notwithstanding the language. Take Sanskrit, I know it's only known by a handful of people. I read that people that know Sanskrits, or the Indoeuropean languages that evolved from Sanskrit, are more apt for programming..maybe it's only hearsay.

I guess it's just like knowing Latin, a very difficult dead language. If you know Latin you can "crack" practically more than 15 languages.

Last edited by cucudrulu; 10-17-2013 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
In my opinion the American culture is one of the most misogynist cultures in the world and the latinos in the US has just taken their disdain for women a little further. It's a toxic combination.

What you see in Miami, you see in NY, LA or Chicago. Bros who think they are tough cookies because they only value women for their attractiveness, listen to regeatton and wear excessive gold jewelry

The "urban" latin culture in the US is so mysogynistic that latino guys are incapable of listening to women singing. I think if they do that they lose macho points. That's why there is no famous women singing regeton or bachata. It's all Tito el Bambino, Don Omar, Prince Royce, Romeo Santos. Even Salsa and Merengue are male dominated and romantic music has taken that turn too with mana, Camila and all the Alejandros. Women are almost non existing in the. Latin airwaves.

All a latina is worth is the size of her behind. Betty Pino knew that too and paid a high a price for her silicone butt implants.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM

44 posts, read 130,083 times
im cuban, born in havana, living in miami for 20 years and I can tell you everything discussed here is a fact. Miami is a ****ing joke and the clowns that pollute it make it so.

Like somebody said here .... look atthe number of gyms and tattoos freak we have in this city. It is not about health benefits or art, it is about being tougher than the next dude. Meanwhile the level of intellect and culture is nil. I do have to mention that Miami does seem to have a nag for corruption, scams and false entitlement.

But hey, I am not complaining, in my line of work I take advantage of all these wannabe mafia morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
No, when you generalize this happens. I am a calm person, with 2 college degrees, I go to Supercuts when I need to cut my hair, never like a "Macho" (as you describe) touching my head and my ears. I prefer the hands of a woman and a pretty smile and the usual conversation.

You always talk bad things about Miamians. You are Sicilian, many hispanics are of Italian ancestry, North America received a tiny percent of Italians compared to the huge amount that emigrated to Spanish/Portuguese speaking america. I honestly don't know what you are trying to prove here.

Do you have an inferiority complex? and you come here to talk crap about other people, who probably are whiter than you, you being Sicilian..

You have no manners, no respect, what kind of person shows up at a forum insulting the miamian population in a MIAMI forum. Are you blind? are you mad because people here dont recognize you as a gringo/anglo, just BECAUSE you are latin, and look average here.

NY is a city that is congested, most Italians there arent really italians. You probably cant say a sentence in italian.

Why dont you leave south florida if you hate it that much, move to little italy or some italian town, populated by italian wanna be's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami