Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 31,207 times

Advertisements

Are there any major differences between Surfside, Bay Harbor Village, and North Beach (between 71st and 88th St) and of the three, which is most desirable (in terms of safety, commute to mainland, and proximity to grocery stores, cafes, restaurants…etc.)? I’ll be starting grad school at Barry University (Miami Shores) in August and I’ve narrowed my search down to these three areas so just looking for some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
In terms of commute and safety, I'd say Bay Harbor Islands. In terms of stores, cafes, and restaurants, North Beach. Best compromise between all the above would be Surfside. You can also look into Normandy Island and North Bay Village, where you'd get more bang for your buck.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
In terms of commute and safety, I'd say Bay Harbor Islands. In terms of stores, cafes, and restaurants, North Beach. Best compromise between all the above would be Surfside. You can also look into Normandy Island and North Bay Village, where you'd get more bang for your buck.
I would rank North Beach last. Surfside has a nice shopping/restaurant district.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I would rank North Beach last. Surfside has a nice shopping/restaurant district.
Surfside's shopping district is all of about 2 blocks long between 94th & 96th St. on Harding. North Beach's retail district runs along Collins Ave. for 10 blocks from 65th Street to 75th. It also runs along 71st St. from Collins out to Normandy Island.

North Beach has far, far, more shopping/restaurants than Surfside. However, living in Surfside would put someone within walking distance of Bal Harbour.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:29 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Surfside's shopping district is all of about 2 blocks long between 94th & 96th St. on Harding. North Beach's retail district runs along Collins Ave. for 10 blocks from 65th Street to 75th. It also runs along 71st St. from Collins out to Normandy Island.

North Beach has far, far, more shopping/restaurants than Surfside. However, living in Surfside would put someone within walking distance of Bal Harbour.
But what is there to offer in those stores and restaurants? Surfside actually has some pretty good places to eat. Bal Harbor has stores and some good places to eat too. North Beach there is not much. The stores are mostly pharmacies and convenience stores and what not.

I just find Surfside to have more to offer, maybe less quantity but more quality.

For the OP's commute there is not a huge difference between the three. Only thing to keep in mind is depending how North you are the quickest way to Barry might be using a bridge with a one dollar toll each way. However there are passes for that toll which I believe have flat rates. Like $300 a year or something like that.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 31,207 times
Quote:
Only thing to keep in mind is depending how North you are the quickest way to Barry might be using a bridge with a one dollar toll each way. However there are passes for that toll which I believe have flat rates. Like $300 a year or something like that.
This is actually something I found out yesterday. The Broad causeway that goes over Bay Harbor Islands has a dollar toll, but I was not able to find a link anywhere online that gives information on yearly passes and such for those who may be residing within that area. If anyone knows where I could get more information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I think this will have a lot of influence where I decide to live ($300/year isn't awful if it makes my commute quick and easy, but $2+ a day for tolls...not so good)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
But what is there to offer in those stores and restaurants? Surfside actually has some pretty good places to eat.
Firstly, I want to clarify that I wasn't disagreeing with you ranking Bay Harbor and Surfside as being better choices for the OP, especially given his commute. However, I must take issue with you now stating that the restaurants in Surfside are better than those in North Beach. With a couple of exceptions, nothing could be further from the truth, especially if you like Latin American cuisine. There is a reason that North Beach is called Little Buenas Aires. There are a multitude of very good South American restaurants there including those specializing in Brazilian, Argentinian, Peruvian, Columbian, Uruguayan, and Venezuelan cuisine. Of course, there are a couple of Cuban restaurants as well, not to mention the usual Italian, Chinese, Japanese, and French restaurants that one can find anywhere. In fact, there are about 25 or so ethnic restaurants that I can walk to from my condo on 65th. And that doesn't include the restaurants serving the usual American-type offerings.

While Surfside does have some very nice Italian restaurants (especially Pescecane!), I can't think of any other restaurant/cuisine there that would be worth a special trip.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 PM

North Beach has so much more to offer than Surfside. Don't believe me? Drive up and down Collins Ave and Harding Ave between the two locations on a weekend evening, you'll notice North Beach is much more active. Those people are there for a reason! Surfside is fine if you're OK with walking to the same couple of places every time, but if you want variety, North Beach wins.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
However there are passes for that toll which I believe have flat rates. Like $300 a year or something like that.
Is it really that much? Rickenbacker Causeway is $60/year, and the daily toll rate is actually higher than Broad Causeway!!!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoMIA View Post
If anyone knows where I could get more information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I think this will have a lot of influence where I decide to live ($300/year isn't awful if it makes my commute quick and easy, but $2+ a day for tolls...not so good)
Here you go (And it's actually only $250, not $300): Bay Harbor Islands toll booths going electronic - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

The causeway is going to be converted to the SunPass system next year. Here's the pertinent paragraph from the linked article pertaining to the annual pass:

Drivers who frequently use the Broad Causeway will have the option to connect their SunPass to a program that allows them to pay a $250 flat annual fee instead paying the $1 toll each time. This service can be provided in person at the Bay Harbor Islands town office, 9665 Bay Harbor Terrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami