Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,643 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how gays are treated in Miami. Is it liberal, like New York, or is there conflict?

Are the gays predominantly effeminate, or are they masculine?

I'm Latin myself, and am not effeminate, so I'm just curious as to what the dynamic is.

Any pointers? Warnings? Etc.?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:01 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,012 times
Miami is a pretty liberal city. Most people won't care if you are gay or straight, except the young males driving Hondas blasting their music. Gays in Miami come in all sizes, colors and backgrounds, the same goes for butch bears or queens. Just be yourself and don't go around acting like a drama queen.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 PM

59 posts, read 160,248 times
Cubans in Miami are in general very republican and homophobic. South Beach or Fort Lauderdale is where you want to be. Very gay friendly in East Ft. Ld.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywherebutSouthFL View Post
Cubans in Miami are in general very republican and homophobic. South Beach or Fort Lauderdale is where you want to be. Very gay friendly in East Ft. Ld.
OLDER generation Cubans are Republicans and sometimes homophobics. The younger generations, regardless of nationality are more tolerant. But yes, Fort Lauderdale and some pockets of South Beach are better than Miami proper.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
If you want a old school gay ghetto, go to Wilton Manors (Ft Lauderdale). If you want a more integrated life experience where being gay is neither overcelebrated nor hidden, go to South Beach. Other differences that I have observed are as follows: The men are generally more Latin in SouthBeach. The men in Ft. Lauderdale are generally more Anglo. The scene in Ft. Lauderdale tends to be older than the scene in SouthBeach. SouthBeach is trendier and more international. Ft. Lauderdale is more middle American.
Ft. Lauderdale has many more gay bars and establishments. SouthBeach has more upscale establishments where gay men co-exist with straights. Wilton Manors is suburban while SouthBeach is urban. Broward Co. used to be much cheaper than Dade but now they are both overpriced (but for how long?).
If you like the Castro, you might like Ft. Lauderdale. If you like Chelsea or WeHo, you might like SouthBeach.
Those are just my opinions. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
OLDER generation Cubans are Republicans and sometimes homophobics. The younger generations, regardless of nationality are more tolerant. But yes, Fort Lauderdale and some pockets of South Beach are better than Miami proper.
In the 2002 election when MiamiDade voted on whether or not gays could retain basic human rights as laid out in the county human rights ordinance, the gay community got slaughtered by the predominately latin (mostly Cuban)voters in the city. However, this was the only demographic that voted against basic human rights for gays and they were unsuccessful in their bid to do another "Anita Bryant" on the community. Overall, the Jewish, Black, Haitian and White (non-Jewish) voters supported basic human rights for gays. What this means for where you live is basically the closer you are to the water or wealth, the greater the chance that you are in a gay affirming neighborhood. Remember, MiamiDade has 2.4 million people. And, whenever you get a large diverse group of people, you will get a large diverse opinion, etc.
Broward and Dade are both "blue" voting counties. Broward is politically more liberal but that is probably because the Cubans, who are historically the Repulicans' most reliable voting bloc, are a larger part of Dade than they are in Broward. However, as is suggested, that's a dying truth as more and more younger Cubans are abandoning their parents' generation politics.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM

94 posts, read 134,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I'm curious as to how gays are treated in Miami. Is it liberal, like New York, or is there conflict?

Are the gays predominantly effeminate, or are they masculine?

I'm Latin myself, and am not effeminate, so I'm just curious as to what the dynamic is.

Any pointers? Warnings? Etc.?

I'm in Doral and from NY I dont think the people could care less its same as NY . Some might most dont .
if the people arent friendly its not because your gay its because they simply arent friendly

Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM

94 posts, read 134,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Thats is completely false being older Cuban or Rep doesnt make anyone homophob as you put it

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I have had a few gay friends and all have hated Miami. Ironically the whole gay scene has left Miami-dade county and relocated to Broward. Not sure if this is good or bad, but I have been told that Miami has little to offer Gay guys other than parties, drugs and disease.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
Thats is completely false being older Cuban or Rep doesnt make anyone homophob as you put it
Oh please, wake up and read today's news. It is true that most Republicans are homophobics. Look at our president. And ask any gay Cuban, he will tell you that most parents would rather have a son that is a thief rather than gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami