Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM

78 posts, read 145,033 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Yeah I know you hate the "moving to Miami" titles, but would appreciate if you could answer this.

I plan to attend FIU next year, I come from Europe.
I've researched a lot on Miami, what a wonderful place. I got a pretty good budget per month ($5k-$6k), $1.5k-$2k would go on rent , somewhere downtown/brickell/brickell key. And $300-$400 on a leased car, preferbly BMW or something like that, and the rest just for insurance etc.

My concerns are

1) Is it pretty dangerous? I've had a friend told me she went 1 street from the main streets(touristic) and it was pretty dangerous and a friend she know (local) told her she should not go there again.

2) What would be the best place to live on a $2k/month budget for 1 BR, preferably ocean-view and not far from Brickell (brickell to FIu is already 20-30mins car drive)

3) How fast could I get a license in Florida/Miami? Total........

4) Public Transporation, some say it sucks, some say it's good. But let's say, downtown to FIU, how long would it take ?

5) Would I have to worry about safety (from criminals)? How about hurricanes, do they happen often?

Thanks! Miami looks f*cking super and can't wait to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Hey,
Yeah I know you hate the "moving to Miami" titles, but would appreciate if you could answer this.

I've researched a lot on Miami, what a wonderful place. I got a pretty good budget per month ($5k-$6k), $1.5k-$2k would go on rent , somewhere downtown/brickell/brickell key. And $300-$400 on a leased car, preferbly BMW or something like that, and the rest just for insurance etc.

My concerns are

1) Is it pretty dangerous? I've had a friend told me she went 1 street from the main streets(touristic) and it was pretty dangerous and a friend she know (local) told her she should not go there again.

2) What would be the best place to live on a $2k/month budget for 1 BR, preferably ocean-view and not far from Brickell (brickell to FIu is already 20-30mins car drive)

4) Public Transporation, some say it sucks, some say it's good. But let's say, downtown to FIU, how long would it take ?

5) Would I have to worry about safety (from criminals)? How about hurricanes, do they happen often?

1-It really depends on where you are. Downtown is safe though.

2-For 2k, you can rent in downtown.

4-With public transport it would take an hour, driving it would take 20 minutes.

5-Hurricanes happen 1-2 a year, but everything is built to withstand this stuff.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,197 times
1-2 per year is an awful lot of hurricanes. I think on average you can expect one hurricane every 4 or 5 years in Miami-Dade county.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM

131 posts, read 323,421 times
You need credit to lease a car. You will probably have to purchase outright.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM

515 posts, read 623,756 times
Quote:
Hey,

My concerns are

Sorry but this reads like trolling. If you have that kind of budget for college expenses per month (outside of tuition) then you would have visited Miami and the FIU campus already and would know what you are getting into.

Furthermore, if you have that kind of money you or your family is not wasting it to come from Europe to attend FIU.

Forget about the criminals and your bmw and your oceanview and hurricanes. You are not coming to FIU unless you already live here so please stop trolling.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 AM

78 posts, read 145,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Sorry but this reads like trolling. If you have that kind of budget for college expenses per month (outside of tuition) then you would have visited Miami and the FIU campus already and would know what you are getting into.

Furthermore, if you have that kind of money you or your family is not wasting it to come from Europe to attend FIU.

Forget about the criminals and your bmw and your oceanview and hurricanes. You are not coming to FIU unless you already live here so please stop trolling.
I'm not forcing you to believe it, sorry but I don't give a crap what you think. I'm here because I need a bit of guidance.

Anyways, I didn't mean specifically a BMW, I meant a "better-than-average" car, comfortable etc.

Thanks for the answers!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM

515 posts, read 623,756 times
Quote:
I'm not forcing you to believe it, sorry but I don't give a crap what you think. I'm here because I need a bit of guidance.

Anyways, I didn't mean specifically a BMW, I meant a "better-than-average" car, comfortable etc.

Thanks for the answers!
Why would you leave Eurpoe to come to FIU?

You may not give a crap what I think because you also don't give a crap about your future. Low level US school in an average to poor neighborhood. You are willing to spend alot on room and board while not even living remotely close to the campus you will be attending and for all your interest and near term plans you have not even been to the school to take a campus tour?

Silly. Not even slightly believeable.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM

313 posts, read 646,997 times
You're underestimating the appeal of Miami. There's tons of international students at FIU....you can even find foreign students on a tiny college campus in Lakeland, gtfoh with that.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 PM

131 posts, read 323,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
You're underestimating the appeal of Miami. There's tons of international students at FIU....you can even find foreign students on a tiny college campus in Lakeland, gtfoh with that.
Agreed. Miami has its appeal and there are a lot of internationals eager to come here for a change of pace......

Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,190,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
It's just his way of saying that FIU sucks... no big deal. It's too much for him to take that he doesn't want to believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami