Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM

14 posts, read 49,131 times

Advertisements

you know it amazes me to come on here and read the negative comments that everyone has on miami. i just recently returned from active duty with the united states marine corps. in 8 years i have traveled the world and have realized that miami is a truly amazing place, not the best, but it does offer the best fishing, a beautiful skyline, the best beaches, amazing latin food, fun nightlife, and some of the most beautiful ladies. i have visited parts of VA, SC, GA(to include ATL), Dallas, LA & Hollywood, and NYC. The only place that resembled Miami was LA, but I truly think the city has a weird odor, they have very poor visiblity due to the smog, and they have very cold beaches. Also, I lived on the east part of NC for 2 years and i thought i was going to die of boredom. anyway i am very happy to be back home. here in miami we don't have to worry about snow, a sudden tornado falling from the sky, or an earthquake. i truly believe one should live where they want to live. like i said miami is not the best place, but it is not as bad as some people make it seem. explain to me this..if miami is indeed that bad, then why is the city always on TV, or in the movies? the city is currently undergoing serious construction and remodeling. rumors have it that Miami is the city of the future. stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Miami is always on TV because it has good PR. Just like how Laguna Beach, 90210 and those programs glamorize LA....

The image of Miami from TV is not real except inside swanky SOBE hotel lobbies. The rest of us work in the real world, and know a totally different reality of a city besiged with problems that it's citizens do not care about facing, and whose tourists are basically oblivious to.

Hope that ansered your question.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
its all about opinion and whats suits you. Miami is good for certain people and not good for others. People shouldn't take negative comments about where they live to heart. If you are happy living in a place the salute, and if not, happy trails.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The media has to portray a positive image of Miami to entice investors to bring their $$$. Without outside investment the whole economy will collapse. The only resource to sell here is the land/real estate. If people knew the truth they would never buy.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The media has to portray a positive image of Miami to entice investors to bring their $$$. Without outside investment the whole economy will collapse. The only resource to sell here is the land/real estate. If people knew the truth they would never buy.
I know the truth. Been renting 5+ years, but am looking to buy in maybe a year if real estate keeps collapsing. I guess the truth isn't so bad.

And I really don't know why the media would be trying to entice real estate investors. I doubt real estate developers are paying "Nip/Tuck", "CSI:Miami", "Miami Ink", etc. for their tv portrayals of Miami. Nor would they pay "Miami Vice", "Transporter 2", "2 Fast 2 Furious", "Bad Boys I & II", etc.

Most of those shows/movies show the negatives of the city anyway (crime, violence, vanity, etc.)

Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickhere View Post
you know it amazes me to come on here and read the negative comments that everyone has on miami. i just recently returned from active duty with the united states marine corps. in 8 years i have traveled the world and have realized that miami is a truly amazing place, not the best, but it does offer the best fishing, a beautiful skyline, the best beaches, amazing latin food, fun nightlife, and some of the most beautiful ladies. i have visited parts of VA, SC, GA(to include ATL), Dallas, LA & Hollywood, and NYC. The only place that resembled Miami was LA, but I truly think the city has a weird odor, they have very poor visiblity due to the smog, and they have very cold beaches. Also, I lived on the east part of NC for 2 years and i thought i was going to die of boredom. anyway i am very happy to be back home. here in miami we don't have to worry about snow, a sudden tornado falling from the sky, or an earthquake. i truly believe one should live where they want to live. like i said miami is not the best place, but it is not as bad as some people make it seem. explain to me this..if miami is indeed that bad, then why is the city always on TV, or in the movies? the city is currently undergoing serious construction and remodeling. rumors have it that Miami is the city of the future. stay tuned.
We might not have to worry about snow, but at least snow won't blow your roof up.....hurricanes can do that..and they have our doors open from May to November.....tornados....not sure what part of Miami you live in, but tornadoes are pretty common.
The city is always on TV because sex, drugs, guns and crimes sells on the dumb box, and that's exackly what Miami has to offer.
And if Miami is the city of the future.....I am moving to MARS.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
I don't think that Miami is the worst place to live either. In fact, looking nationwide, Miami is on a list of 5 places in the U.S. that I can see myself living. However, I feel that life in Miami is not what it seems; and surely not what it was 20...even 10 years ago. I think with the right circumstances, someone could be very happy in Miami. But for people coming from many places in the U.S. to Miami...there is a big adjustment factor that must be made (I guess the exception would be if you're from L.A....then maybe the culture shock is not as severe...but I don't know...never been to L.A.).

Again, I think it goes back to expectations. When many Americans (and foreigners) think "Florida"...they think of this laid-back, sunny bit of paradise where life is a peach (or maybe an orange...lol ). But the reality is that life here is expensive compared to the average income and you do need to make some pretty big compromises while living in Florida's major cities. It's up to the individual to see if those compromises are worth it or not.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
We might not have to worry about snow, but at least snow won't blow your roof up.....hurricanes can do that..and they have our doors open from May to November.....tornados....not sure what part of Miami you live in, but tornadoes are pretty common.
The city is always on TV because sex, drugs, guns and crimes sells on the dumb box, and that's exackly what Miami has to offer.
And if Miami is the city of the future.....I am moving to MARS.
Actually the Tornado project lists every tornado recorded since 1950. Miami had ONE big tornado 10 years ago. Thats it. Any others ever recorded were F0 category which are gale force winds.

Hurricanes and Miami? Really? The football team, or the weather event? Until the weather pattern of 2004-2005 when hurricanes hit all over Florida, when was the last hurricane to hit Miami? Andrew in 1992. Before that? Hurricane Donna brushed Miami...in 1960.

2 hurricanes in 44 years until 2004. How on earth could anyone possibly deal with those hurricanes hitting every 5 minutes!!

So enough with the overly dramatic posts. Miami has plenty of problems, but F1 or above tornados and hurricanes are very rare events.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Actually the Tornado project lists every tornado recorded since 1950. Miami had ONE big tornado 10 years ago. Thats it. Any others ever recorded were F0 category which are gale force winds.

Hurricanes and Miami? Really? The football team, or the weather event? Until the weather pattern of 2004-2005 when hurricanes hit all over Florida, when was the last hurricane to hit Miami? Andrew in 1992. Before that? Hurricane Donna brushed Miami...in 1960.

2 hurricanes in 44 years until 2004. How on earth could anyone possibly deal with those hurricanes hitting every 5 minutes!!

So enough with the overly dramatic posts. Miami has plenty of problems, but F1 or above tornados and hurricanes are very rare events.
He's right, snow can't blow your roof off, but obviously he has never heard of a nor-easter, which CAN blow your roof off .

Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
And even the 2004-2005 hurricanes were mostly north of Miami. Hurricane Dennis, came no where near Miami. Hurricane Jeanne hit up near Jupiter. Hurrican Frances hit up near Stuart.

So when you look at the last 60 years, you find 4 hurricanes that affected Miami.

But I guess the truth takes away form the Miami bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami