Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 28,030 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move out of Doral and quite like the Weston area.
I currently drive 30 - 40 minutes to drive the 3.5 miles to work (who's bright friggin idea was it to put a thousand condos, and a few schools on a two lane road), and figured if I can move to a nicer area with similar drive time why not? I would be getting off the turnpike at 41st st.

Anyone do this commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
This can vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the time of day. Doral is one of the worst planned areas, so the only ways there are the Turnpike and the 826. If the expressways get backed up, you have only 2 or 3 through roads. Perhaps it is better to get a new job near Weston?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This can vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the time of day. Doral is one of the worst planned areas, so the only ways there are the Turnpike and the 826. If the expressways get backed up, you have only 2 or 3 through roads. Perhaps it is better to get a new job near Weston?
You really have to wonder how the hell they plan these areas out. There area many areas in which traffic is heavy enough already then they add tons of high-rise condos and shopping centers...

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 AM

16 posts, read 217,073 times
thats miami for ya...doral is TERRIBLE too much traffic and trucks! omg trucks!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM

854 posts, read 2,862,574 times
Yeah Doral sucks. I live north of 58th street and a 3-mile-trip to work is between 5 and 45 minutes... depending on what time of the day. And it's not going to get better with even more condos being built along 107th ave. I usually go by bike which is about 20 minutes. i got a flat tire two days ago tho :/

Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM

711 posts, read 1,855,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
You really have to wonder how the hell they plan these areas out. There area many areas in which traffic is heavy enough already then they add tons of high-rise condos and shopping centers...
Thank "Smart Growth". Since cars are evil, everybody "knows" you can't reduce congestion by expanding your road system, and "sprawl" is a "tool of the devil", massive density increases without concomitant capacity increases were inevitable. High density anti-auto "planning" is a standard staple of Smart Growth philosophy. Don't worry, though, they'll have a public transportation plan ready to go to save you from auto hell (that they created). Just be ready to glom onto the promises and ignore the costs.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 28,030 times
Well bummer on the commute time, up to two hours is a bit out of my zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
...I usually go by bike which is about 20 minutes...
Yikes! I had considered riding my bike when I first got here from CA, but after being here for almost a year the thought of sharing the road with the drivers (especially the big rigs and dump trucks) scares the hell out of me. That was another reason I liked Weston, my two year old loves to go on walks but I don't even feel safe with him on the sidewalk in Doral so we have to stay in our gated community. Weston on the other hand just felt...different, safer. Although not living there, I know that may be a mis-placed feeling.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
In Palm Beach County you can ride on the sidewalks with your bike. Even so you still have to watch out for nutty drivers, especially at cross walks.

I think in general, everyone prefers Weston to Doral. It's just a better planned city...

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM

854 posts, read 2,862,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparrish View Post
scares the hell out of me.
Good decision, I got hit by a car the other day at WinnDixie on 107th ave/41 st of course talking on the phone is more important than watching the road i always go very slow over there because i know people don't watch the sidewalk when entering the road...

but to be honest, sitting in traffic for 30 minutes or so for a three mile commute to work (one way) and wasting gas makes me even more angry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: