Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times

Advertisements

So we ust came back from our trip to Miami and surrounding areas. We have definitely ruled out many areas.
Yes, Parkland is nice but too isolated. I can't live walled up in a small subdivision within another huge one. Heron Bay is not for me.
Coral Springs was ok, I was not jumping at the chance to move there, older communities, larger lots and pretty homes, but nothing spectacular. Yes, I want to live in a family friendly area, however I like to walk to a restaurant or shopping and not just to another subdivision
Plantation, Davie, maybe it was just the areas we were in, but they were run down.
We took Cutler Ridge Road (or something like that) and I actually liked the communities on it, South Miami near U of Miam, Coral Gables, Pine Crest (of course too pricey), Cutler Bay, Kendall (when we were on the turnpike), and some new subdivisions in the unincorporated sections of Miami (near 224th).

Anyone know anything about the Kendall schools or any nice communities around 450K in Kendall? Cutler Ridge? The areas south of Goulds but north of Homestead near Silver Palms? There are new communities in those areas and I was wondering if anyone has any info? Thanks in advance. I understand there are not so nice areas a few miles away, but if things there go like things where I live, those people will just get forced out of their homes, they will be torn down, and new expensive houses/condos will just go up next year anyway. I'm not saying its right, its just the way is often is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
faina

that torn down bit isn't going to happen, atleast not down here. South Florida has been hit hard in the real estate area. Your best bet would be to rent and wait for the market to bottom out. You will be able to get something very well priced when things are finally done.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes on this visit we already saw prices crashing down. Homes that were previously 700K are now 500K. That's great, but even though we can afford it, we still weren't crazy about the neighborhoods. Weston is nice but its not my husband's style, a bit too dull and suburban, but everyone has their own taste.
Just wondering what people think about Kendall and the schools there. Also Cutler Bay/Ridge area and south. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Old Cutler RD is what you probably saw (Cutler Ridge is something else, another area that is not horrible but not the best either) Those homes there are unfordable (1 million plus probably), I would live there if I could.

Kendall is all right, the schools are probably not that great (most schools here suck). The best school in the south of Miami is Palmetto (My highschool, Thank God) which is located close to old Cutler rd and Pinecrest and the Million dollar homes, but if you do your research you might find something affordable around that area (some areas of East Perrine are not that bad, and you still get Palmetto. I know people that live around there just to send their kids there.

I also like the South of Miami more, even though traffic is horrible, I believe is safer, because we have less bad areas, and criminals most of the time don't walk too far to do their crimes

Now, t's hard to tell you which areas are good because Miami (and most south Florida) is this way: The rich people first moved to the Beach homes (Old Cutler Rd, Coral Gables, Hallandale, Aventura), then the poor people move West of them a few decades ago (most Ghettos came from there) and finally the middle class move further West of the Ghettos. So it's always this way from the coast moving West: Rich, Poor, Middle class.

There are a lot of bad areas close to Homestead, Goulds and Naranja are areas to avoid because there is a lot of poverty and crime there. Also it's too far from Miami and you will feel like you are living in a third world country. You are better off in Kendall or all the day to the West like new homes close to Redlands.

Our home is not that far from some areas that are not that great but it's pretty safe here. I have no complaints. Hopefully the prices will go down even more, as banks are already writting off some loans and people are desperate to sell. People just can't sell these days.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Yes on this visit we already saw prices crashing down. Homes that were previously 700K are now 500K. That's great, but even though we can afford it, we still weren't crazy about the neighborhoods. Weston is nice but its not my husband's style, a bit too dull and suburban, but everyone has their own taste.
Just wondering what people think about Kendall and the schools there. Also Cutler Bay/Ridge area and south. Thanks.
I can't stress to you enough to wait. Trust me when I tell you this, I looked into the crystal ball and when it is all said and done it will be a buyers market in a year or two, just hold fast for now.

Wish you and your family the best

Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM

thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami