Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,281 times

Advertisements

I received this notice in the mail today, after checking my SunPass account and finding everything normal, I can only assume this is some kind of scam to try and get people to pay for fines they don't actually owe.
It came from a company called "Law Enforcement Systems LLC" and starts out with "Notice of Assignment to a Collection Agency" (I guess this is to scare people into thinking they're in trouble) Then there's "Unpaid Toll Violation Notices" with an account number, due date and a total due, mine said $40.09. Then there's a bunch of bla bla bla about failing to pay for toll transactions. My transponders are on automatic refill, so I should never have a failure to pay tolls. They did have my license plate number, but there's hundreds of ways someone could get that. The plate number they used is on a car that I hardly ever drive and definitely couldn't have racked up $40.00 in tolls.
Another thing that sent up a red flag was that the address of this company was in Milwaukee, WI. I doubt a real toll violation notice would come from anywhere but Florida.
Anyone else receive one of these?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
Actually, MDX does link to their site when you click on it to pay toll fines. I would call up MDX on Monday to get to the bottom of it. Home - MDXWay then look to the right under "Toll Inquiries" and then "Collections"

I'm not saying it is totally legitimate but I would probably look into it a bit more before dismissing it as a scam.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I think MDX itself is bogus. What a rip off you put up with.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I received this notice in the mail today, after checking my SunPass account and finding everything normal, I can only assume this is some kind of scam to try and get people to pay for fines they don't actually owe.
It came from a company called "Law Enforcement Systems LLC" and starts out with "Notice of Assignment to a Collection Agency" (I guess this is to scare people into thinking they're in trouble) Then there's "Unpaid Toll Violation Notices" with an account number, due date and a total due, mine said $40.09. Then there's a bunch of bla bla bla about failing to pay for toll transactions. My transponders are on automatic refill, so I should never have a failure to pay tolls. They did have my license plate number, but there's hundreds of ways someone could get that. The plate number they used is on a car that I hardly ever drive and definitely couldn't have racked up $40.00 in tolls.
Another thing that sent up a red flag was that the address of this company was in Milwaukee, WI. I doubt a real toll violation notice would come from anywhere but Florida.
All you have to do is go to the Sunpass website and plug in your tag plate. If you owe it will tell you and how to pay.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I would not ignore it; the state can contract out anyone they want to collect unpaid debt, so it does not matter where they are located.

First thing to do would be get in contact with the debt agency, and ask for more info, they should be able to provide the photos with the time and date on them in which the toll occurred.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would not ignore it; the state can contract out anyone they want to collect unpaid debt, so it does not matter where they are located.

First thing to do would be get in contact with the debt agency, and ask for more info, they should be able to provide the photos with the time and date on them in which the toll occurred.
I agree with boxus, don't ignore letters and think they are scams as I feel this is real. They give you a certain amount of time to pay, if you don't it is turned over to a collection agency that will use tactics to scare people in to paying their bills.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
All you have to do is go to the Sunpass website and plug in your tag plate. If you owe it will tell you and how to pay.
And you can also see exactly where and when the tolls were incurred.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I would say it is not a scam. Here is the information
Miami-Dade County - Clerk of Courts

Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,281 times
Strange, this letter does not look in the least "official". It's lacking in details like you get from a Toll By Plate notice and it mentions a previously billed toll transactions. I've never received any toll bills since I bought my transponders. I'll definitely check into this further because, if it is an official letter, then they've made a mistake in billing me. As I said earlier, I have automatic reloading of my transponders and the last time I drove the car on the notice, I checked my SunPass account to be sure the tolls were deducted after that trip.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
Not sure about MDX, but those red light cams all over Miami are run by some private company out in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami