Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ever had an unwanted intruder come and steal your stuff?
Yes, several times 3 5.08%
Yes, once 15 25.42%
No, but only because of my security bars 2 3.39%
No, and no bars 39 66.10%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,092,400 times

Advertisements

I think a dog will not deter a determined thief. Sadly, dogs are poisoned with bait like meat or bones...they can know a dog out or kill them. Plus, mean dogs are a hazard to the neighborhood. I think security bars, a camera and good lighting is the best deterrent. Dogs are gravy, always having someone at home...and an alarm all help as well. Also, nosey neighbors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,222,228 times
A pit bull can rip you to shreds.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,644,447 times
Dogs usually give themselves away and experienced thieves can net them or use a chemical spray. I have cameras and infrared sensors all over the place. A light comes on over my bed and a high-frequency sound wakes me up. I keep all room doors locked and they are commercial doors, not easy to kick in. This year someone tried to break in while I was sleeping and in less than a minute I was in the hallway behind the brick planter with my gun pointed at the door. First shot was a blank and after that they were gone. I keep plenty of ammo and a rifle in that brick "planter". I do not have and will not have a dog inside the house. The only time I had to confront someone was while living in Homestead and someone was trying to steal my tools. Good thing I had the truck wired to a neon transformer....LOL!

Old 11-24-2007, 02:45 PM

65 posts, read 231,599 times
NRA lifetime membership stickers on the door would probably do the job...

Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM

183 posts, read 566,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Dogs usually give themselves away and experienced thieves can net them or use a chemical spray. I have cameras and infrared sensors all over the place. A light comes on over my bed and a high-frequency sound wakes me up. I keep all room doors locked and they are commercial doors, not easy to kick in. This year someone tried to break in while I was sleeping and in less than a minute I was in the hallway behind the brick planter with my gun pointed at the door. First shot was a blank and after that they were gone. I keep plenty of ammo and a rifle in that brick "planter". I do not have and will not have a dog inside the house. The only time I had to confront someone was while living in Homestead and someone was trying to steal my tools. Good thing I had the truck wired to a neon transformer....LOL!
i like your style tallrick. if everyone followed your example home invasion would be far less prevalent.
Add to the alarm system an outside siren. It will send the invader fleeing and it will alert neighbors.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 11,149 times
I have to report this I leave in Kendall, Miami in a gated community of brand new homes, my 2 cars where vandalized twice in my driveway, I called the police and they gave me a report number by phone, 2 windows broken and the did not took the time to check anything, the jus did not show.
This is just business… they give you a Report #, to activate your insurance and case closed.
This is why the teens (usually neighbors) keep doing’ it. The police have just created this part time job for them. Then when you ask why the do not show to investigate the crime, the will tell you that the are dealing with murders and other crimes, off course committed by the same teens with too much time on the Driveway’s part-time.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 PM

16 posts, read 60,040 times
I live in Unicorporated Miami (Between North Miami and Opa Locka) and we have never been robbed. And we're one of the nicer houses on the street. No bars, recently installed a big white metal gate which seems more flashy then function since it looks easy to hop. Plus, our neighbor doesn't have a front gate at all so all you have to do is walk into their yard and hop the little chain link fence. Then my dad has a screened room in the back with a Flatscreen TV, DVD Player, Big Stereo and Speakers. NO BARS. NO DOG. Yet...no robbery?

It's amazing. It's not like this is an "upscale" neighborhood. We used to be across the street from a drug dealer. And my church/school that's just 3 streets down has been burglarized, robbed, and had cars broken into day and night.

But more recent lack of crime must means that the neighborhood is improving. A proof that Black people are capable of a decent community? The houses are starting to noticeably improve every year. Maybe we can graduate from "hood rich" to suburb.

Now excuse me while I go knock on wood before I go and jinx my house and neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami