Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,700,159 times

Advertisements

Such great memories, too bad it has been so long waiting for another one. I was truly disappointed my new home never felt the full force of a cat 5 storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM

861 posts, read 1,452,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Such great memories, too bad it has been so long waiting for another one. I was truly disappointed my new home never felt the full force of a cat 5 storm.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times
Quote:
You should be thankful you didn't experience the full force, its not something I ever want to experience ever again.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM

14,891 posts, read 12,052,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I can remember the second after Hurricane Andrew Clearly as myself and my Florida National Guard Unit Pulled in to Miami. I have seen Hurricanes, but nothing like the scale of destruction other than Hurricane Donna.
We settle in Tamiami Airport and went to work. My BN (2nd Bn 124th Infantry) hit the streets. Our first mission was to help secure the City of Miami, Kendall, Hialeah and Perrine. I remember for being up 3 days at a time on the streets . We were so short handed until other FLANG Arrived in the area.

The business of setting up MKT (Mobil Kitchen Trailers) , aid stations and the every day supply points. (Water, Ice and Food). Long days and nights. Surprisingly the people of Miami got right in the business of helping their community.
As our support units arrived FLORIDA Guardsmen setup Supply lines from MIA (Transportation Unit from Marietta Fl) and our Engineers took to the task of clearing and working with local officials. FLNAG Air Recourses from Lakeland Florida were flying 24/7 over the skies of Miami/Dade doing rescued and EVACS to hospitals. Our friends from the Coast Guard were Equally involved as we were. (they Flew out of Tampa/Key West and Port of Miami.
Cuban Community set up food stations serving beans and rice and a good doss of espresso. As a tired Guardsman one such Gentleman got meal Espresso and it was the best ever!
Good Folks from the Georgia, Alabama, Texas and more than I can say pulled together to help Miami.
Floridians pulled together. We pull our difference to the side and took care of our own. There are folks who bad month us and say we are too "something", but I got to say Florida is a special place in my Heart.
We lived in Palmetto Bay when Andrew blew through. Our house was virtually demolished( support beams for the neighbor's patio roof blew right through our metal shutters which let the wind in the house-) There were two incidents that touched my heart more than I can ever say as we went through the long recovery process. One was the sight of the young Army soldiers making repairs to Howard Drive elementary school, to make it ready for the kids to start their school year, only two weeks later than the year had been scheduled to begin. Considering the amount of destruction and disruption that Andrew left us, I thought that was pretty good, and we were so grateful for any help we received.

The second incident involved a grandchild ( 18 month old baby) of our neighbor's who got a severe case of diarrhea a couple days after the storm. They managed to get the little girl to a pediatrician, who recommended that they give her pedialyte. They looked for pedialyte, but apparently there wasn't any to be had in the stores that were open. At the time I worked at Miami Children's Hospital, and the neighbors asked me after a couple days of looking for pedialyte, and the kid still had diarrhea, if I could try and see if I could get some at the hospital. I said I would, and figured I'd contact the Director of Nursing ( I couldn't think of who you'd contact about buying pedialyte, thought maybe she'd know). I did, and explained why I needed it. Well. later the same day, she called me back, and said someone would be bringing over a case of pedialyte for this little girl. I asked her how much it would be ( both the neighbor and I assumed that we'd buy whatever pedialyte we could get), and she responded that there would be no charge for it. I expressed my gratitude ( and that of our neighbor) and offered again to pay for the pedialyte, but she wouldn't hear of it. She just said that the hospital had always gotten such great support from the community,and it was time to give back.

There was so much stress, heartache, hassles in those days after Andrew, I just figured it was a good thing to remember those little bright spots that happened as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,700,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You should be thankful you didn't experience the full force, its not something I ever want to experience ever again.
I have been hoping for a real world test to prove the hurricane proof design of my homes. Unfortunately I doubt that where I moved to, or even Key Largo will ever be in the path of "the big one".

Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times
^^^I hope your right about that because we son't need to test anything.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:52 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,927,312 times
Quote:
I have been hoping for a real world test to prove the hurricane proof design of my homes. Unfortunately I doubt that where I moved to, or even Key Largo will ever be in the path of "the big one".
"ever" is a long time...though it you're northeast of Orlando, you may be in luck. There are those things called tornadoes though.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,276,194 times
I remember it quite well in Pinecrest. Our house stood fine but my sisters was demolished in cutler ridge. No power for about 3 weeks sucked but we had generators so we were good to a certain extent. It was pretty intense I do agree.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,922,410 times
I have to give Kudos to Miami-Dade, they said they would rebuild and by God they sure did, sure there are remnants still of the storm but when you think of the devastation, wow!!!!!! One heck of a job!!!!!!!!

This place is 100 times better than I thought it would be after what I witnessed 20 years ago.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,979,819 times
One thing any mass disaster does is bring people together. Even with all the complaints of people theses days there is no doubt if anything as devastating as Andrew ever came again, (sure hope not!) this city would come together again and rebuild its neighborhoods. One thing which never came back was the full time air has at Homestead which is a shame, it employed a lot of good people with good jobs.

I was only 3 years old at the time and most of what I know are stories from my parents. The only thing I remember about Andrew was walking outside after the storm and seeing trees down as far as the eye can see. I also slightly remember taking a drive down with my family to see the hard hit areas.

We live in Miami Beach at the time so with this monster storm going directly to Miami we thought we had to get out. Remember it was first predicted to hit directly over downtown Miami pretty much but it made that last minute wobble south. Well my parents evacuated SOUTH to the Kendall area. Thankfully all was fine. Our home in Miami Beach wasn't even touched, we didnt even have shutters. Not a tree or window touched. This was also an old home built in the 20s. They know how to make ones back then. I think that house would survive anything. My parents did say we didnt have power for over two weeks. Surprised I handled no power in August at three years old so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami