Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 8,186 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are planning on relocating to Homestead from Staten Island.
We picked Homestead because my husbands aunt lives there and we would like to be close to her. We are not in a rush to move, ideally we would both like to have jobs before we pick up and go. My plan is to hopefully get a job in Miami, my thinking is that I would be able to find a higher paying job in Miami than in Homestead. I've already sent my resume out to many companies (I'm an Office Manager/Executive Assistant). I even have a few interviews scheduled via Skype over the next few days, so things look promising.
My question is that accorging to google maps, the drive from Homestead to Miami is 45 minutes. What i would really like to know, is that drive really 45 minutes or is it more? I currently live in Staten Island and have worked in Manhattan for most of my career, the commute into Manhattan from Staten Island is 90 minutes door to door taking public transportation, in Florida I would be driving.
Also, are the roads from Homestead to Miami toll roads? Thinking of the commuting costs.
Also, we have 2 children, a sone age 8 and a daughter who is 3½ (she will be 4 in January). I did some research and see that the schools are not that great in Homestead, I would like to get my son into a Charter School that is slightly better, but not exactly sure if I can. And in NY, my daughter would be able to go to Pre K next September, but I heard that in Florida, the age restrictions are different and she would be 5 by the time she enters Pre K? Does anyone know if that is true?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Yes there are toll roads from Homestead to Miami. If you took the Turnpike to the 874, to the 836 to get to Downtown Miami for instance that would cost you I think $6 a day round trip. You can take the side streets that will take longer. I think 45 minutes from Homestead in rush hour traffic will get you to the City of South Miami (different from the City of Miami). An hour to Doral. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 1.5 to get to downtown Miami. I know someone that lives in Homestead and commutes to downtown, she gets up way early to avoid the traffic. I'm talking she's at the office and sun is coming up.

There are some Charter Schools in South Miami Dade, you just need to make sure you live in the district for those charter schools. I know that your child has to be 5 years old by Sept 1 to start Kindergarten. If the child turns five after Sept 1, they stay in Pre K.

Homestead isn't the greatest area, fyi. The best thing is to live as close as possible to your work this way you don't have to spend hours each day commuting. I bet people who commute from Homestead to Miami spend a minimum of two hours a day in a car. That's a lot of time you could be spending with your kids if you lived and worked close together.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Remember that Miami is a big area. You may get a job in Cutler Bay or the Tamiami airport area that is a lot closer to Homestead and a much easier commute. I'd try to line up the jobs first and then make a decision on an area to live.
Hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
I live in Homestead and commute to the southern part of Coral Gables. I drive up there very early (pre-dawn) and it takes me about 40-45 minutes, using surface roads - no turnpike. I leave work in the afternoon at 2:00 and it takes me 60 minutes to get home.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your responses.
I just had an interview today and that company is located on Brickell Avenue, so i'm sure the drive is going to be at least and hour a day each way.
Would it be easier to drive to the Dadeland South Metro train stop and take the train from there?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM

389 posts, read 1,084,071 times
I'd completely forget about Homestead if you are working in Brickell. Traffic is horrible and as others ahve said Homestead is not a very good place to live. Why not try Kendall or S. Miami. Still somewhat close to your husband's aunt.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM

I suggested moving to Kendall or Cutler Bay, but he is insisting that if we are leaving all of our family here in NY, that he wants to be close to his family there. He is also thinking that his aunt will be able to help watch our kids while we are working.

So, now I am talking to a company in Miami Lakes about a position there. I know Miami Lakes is North of Miami, if that job comes through, I can't be that far south, i would definately need to be closer.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantana618 View Post
I suggested moving to Kendall or Cutler Bay, but he is insisting that if we are leaving all of our family here in NY, that he wants to be close to his family there. He is also thinking that his aunt will be able to help watch our kids while we are working.

So, now I am talking to a company in Miami Lakes about a position there. I know Miami Lakes is North of Miami, if that job comes through, I can't be that far south, i would definately need to be closer.
Agreed, although I love living in Homestead, your commute from there would be horrible. The closer you live to work down here, the better.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM

106 posts, read 221,791 times
According to this siteModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Homestead ranks #23 in a list of the most dangerous cities to live in America. The list is based on number of violent crimes committed per 1000 residents. Homestead is a sh*thole. Moving from NYC you will not be happy there. Look elsewhere in Miami Dade. The cost of housing in Homestead is cheap for a reason. The Redlands area which is more rural and not far from Homestead would be a safer place for your kids but then the commute would still be bad.

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 PM

169 posts, read 309,994 times
So you want to move down south... I always hear how poor it is down there and about how dem boys gutter...
Down south REALLY ain't like miami, let alone NY.
I can't tell you what is and what ain't a good decision, but know that
#1 ppl from NY really annoy us- the ones that always try to make it known
#2 ppl from miami that move into some homestead areas and don't know the territory are considered fair game; now think ppl from NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami