Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband & I are sick of Dallas heat and the fact that there is not much to do for fun around here especially that we love the beach

Anyways we have great jobs here (IT) and a beautiful house that we built last year. We are thinking about moving to Miami to start a new life, we don't know anybody there that can help us decide if we should do it or not.

What part of Miami would you suggest for a young couple with a 1 year old infant?

What are the best neighberhoods to buy a new house around $350k ?

We care less about partying so we wanna move mostly for the weather/ beach

Please tell me the pros and cons about this move...

I appreciate your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
If you are sick of the heat, Miami isn't the right place for you. Because it can be 80F, 10 months out of the year, some years in Miami. You may want to look at Tampa or Jacksonville they get more seasons compared to Miami. 350k will get you in nice areas, it will not get you in the best areas. Try east Kendall and the Falls for single family homes. You may even look at renting a condo in Brickell or Key Biscayne for the first year. The baby is so young, schools aren't an issue for a little while at least.

I would also suggest looking at Broward County to the north, it will be less of a culture shock than moving to Miami. Make sure you have a job lined up before you come, as we have had a few IT people looking on here for jobs with no luck. No one can tell you if Miami is the right place for you, the best way is to visit a few times. Stay at hotels in or near the places you may want to live, don't always stay in South Beach or Brickell.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina0707 View Post
What are the best neighborhoods to buy a new house around $350k ?

The con is at $350k there is no best neighborhood to buy a SFH, only mediocre and lower ones, but perhaps a two bedroom condo. Is that what you want?

Rule of thumb: what you can afford in Dallas/Houston, double it for Miami; what you can afford in Miami, double it for Manhattan, SF, or southern California.

Dallas/Houston are cheaper than Miami for a reason; Miami is cheaper than Manhattan, SF, and southern California for a reason.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM

80F compared to 100F in Dallas shouldn't be a problem also Miami is a beautiful city that's why we chose it... Right now i live in a 2 story house with 4 bed/3baths so i definitely prefer a single home rather then a condo...Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-02-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
80F compared to 100F in Dallas shouldn't be a problem also Miami is a beautiful city that's why we chose it... Right now i live in a 2 story house with 4 bed/3baths so i definitely prefer a single home rather then a condo...Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations
A four bedroom townhouse in a good neighborhood in Miami is as rare as hen's teeth, and would cost at least around $550k to start. I cannot imagine that a 4 bedroom townhouse in Dallas was centrally located, perhaps somewhere out there in sprawl land.

Sure, Miami offers better weather, beaches (Dallas nothing, Houston you have to go to Galveston on the Gulf coast), no killer heat waves, ocean breezes, plenty of water, warm water, gentle waves, no ice storms, better geographical location and time zone, closer to Latin America, New York, even Europe, all within a narrow strip of land with little or no more room for sprawl. And that's why equivalent housing, on a square-foot to square-foot, dollar-for-dollar basis, in an equivalently good neighborhood in Miami, as a rule of thumb, is twice as expensive.

You will have to make significant compromises for a SFH at $350k in terms of some combination of neighborhood, commute, year of construction, and condition.

But maybe you are used to a commute. However, jobs market for the average person has to be a lot better in Dallas than Miami.

Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
I'd be more concerned with the jobs at this point. If you can get past that hurdle, then you can consider housing. You'll probably earn less here too, making the COL even higher compared to Dallas.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
What are the best neighberhoods to buy a new house around $350k ?

We care less about partying so we wanna move mostly for the weather/ beach

I appreciate your time
Well, if you're moving for the beach, you probably want to live on Miami Beach, and at $350k, you actually have a few choices, albeit in older houses. Here are a couple of small 2br older houses on Normandy Isle which is a separate little island, but still part of Miami Beach. They are about 1 - 1.5 miles from the ocean.

1740 71ST ST, MIAMI BEACH, FL Property Listing - For Sale - MLS# A1786490 - ZipRealty

(71st St. is a major commuting road, so if you don't like busy roads, forget about this one. I'm including it just to show what is available in your price range. Biarritz is one block off of 71st.)

1760 BIARRITZ DR, MIAMI BEACH, FL Property Listing - For Sale - MLS# A1783892 - ZipRealty

If you can go up a little in price to $375k, here is a 4/3 on 80th St., which puts you a little south of Surfside:

894 80TH ST, MIAMI BEACH, FL Property Listing - For Sale - MLS# A1787332 - ZipRealty

Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Check out Weston. It is not near the beach but it is one of the best places to live in South Florida. If you come over to look at South Florida areas, make sure to take a look at Weston.

And there are a good amount of single famile homes or townhomes in your price range.

Property Search - Property Results - Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate - FloridaMoves.com

Also we have a very nice IT company right in Weston - Ultimate Software. Who knows, maybe you will find work there.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,660 times
One thing to conseder before moving here is how well you'll adjust to the population density here. In Dallas, which has a much larger population tham Miami, you still only have about 3,500 people per square mile. In Miami, that number jumps to 11,136 people per square mile. There's a lot of people crammed into a small strip of land down here, it'll feel much more populated than it really is. Also, out of those 11,136 people, 11,132 of them are among America's worst drivers.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 AM

It looks like i have a lot to consider, i am a bit shocked though to see a house built in 1951 for 375k. My house is 1 year old i don't think i can move to a house in miami older then 5 years...I am going to Miami this Week End to check it out since it's been 5 years since Ive been there....3 days won't be enough but that's all i can do right now...i am hoping for the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami