Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM

169 posts, read 310,045 times

Advertisements

Plenty teachers in the schools I went to, that come from other states and cities, would talk bout how rude or how much nicer people are back in their hometown.
The army recruiters would tell me how people weren't as mean in their stays in places like washington or alabama, even in new york. One said "dude, miami people are freaking rude as hell".
I read sucked on the internet about us and our mannerisms b4, then I see some comments about it here too.
What I'm seeing is that we.are looked at that way because we don't speak to strangers.
Yep, neighbors are strangers.
My teacher from chicago said it's common for two people walking oppositely down a sidewalk to greet eachother or smile.
He said people don't do that here and look at you crazy or get offended/mad when you do.
I don't really see a problem with us not greeting random people walking our way with a "hi".

Can you guys enlighten me on the issue, is it something we're missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM

93 posts, read 312,383 times
Maybe a lot of the people in South Florida are from NYC area? Tons of rude people here, I just try to avoid them to the best of my abilities.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM

169 posts, read 310,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderNYC View Post
Maybe a lot of the people in South Florida are from NYC area? Tons of rude people here, I just try to avoid them to the best of my abilities.

We not in a rude competition wit new york people, we just know how to mind our business and do that miami.
It's more like people from other places just nosy.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Plenty teachers in the schools I went to, that come from other states and cities, would talk bout how rude or how much nicer people are back in their hometown.
The army recruiters would tell me how people weren't as mean in their stays in places like washington or alabama, even in new york. One said "dude, miami people are freaking rude as hell".
I read sucked on the internet about us and our mannerisms b4, then I see some comments about it here too.
What I'm seeing is that we.are looked at that way because we don't speak to strangers.
Yep, neighbors are strangers.
My teacher from chicago said it's common for two people walking oppositely down a sidewalk to greet eachother or smile.
He said people don't do that here and look at you crazy or get offended/mad when you do.
I don't really see a problem with us not greeting random people walking our way with a "hi".

Can you guys enlighten me on the issue, is it something we're missing.
I've always associated this lack of let's say, "acknowledgement" between strangers as characteristic of a large city, and Miami fits that description. There are also a lot of transient folks there, contributing to the total picture as a city of strangers. Among the people that live in Miami, there is also a wide variety of differing ethnicities and countries of origin as well, so perhaps that contributes to a sense of alienation in a person who's not well represented among these groups. I lived in Miami for almost 35 years, and noted that often people were more friendly towards their own compatriots, and many of them held hostile opinions towards others not from their own countries- Cubans vs. Columbians ( unless that was just the opinion of the Cubans who explained all this to me).

Quite often when I lived in Miami I smiled and said good morning to other folks I shared public space with, ie passing on the streets, sharing elevators, ladies rooms, checkout lines in stores, etc and most of the time I got a smile and greeting in return. Sometimes I got a stare in return and felt a little foolish, but I figured that was the person's issue not mine. And in looking back I can also recall awesome acts of kindness among perfect strangers in Miami, or even just little acts of courtesy ( such as holding doors) among the populace there as well. And I must say I met some plain awesome people whom I considered it a privilege to be associated with among all those ethnicities in the years I spent in Miami.

What I see these days and don't remember so much from the past, is our tendency, no matter where we are, to judge strangers and hold them in contempt even though we know little or nothing about them. Perhaps that's the influence of the internet, where we can cater to our baser competitive instincts, if we're inclined, and get away with it because of the anonymity associated with the internet. Perhaps that bleeds into real life and makes us ruder than we would otherwise be.

Just speculating here, but them's my musings.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM

131 posts, read 323,535 times
Although rudeness is a characteristic of large cities, there is a particular type of Miami rudeness that occurs. People are so defensive here and take every measure to prevent themselves from getting screwed over...that even a simple "hello" is too much to ask for sometimes. I can understand it. There are a lot of scammers and shysters in the city...ready to take advantage of the "nice" ones. The city is also transient...so why bother being nice to something that is going to leave the next week?

Another aspect is the cultural differences...I have noticed that particular groups are more friendly towards their own...if they have known them for a while. And there are also a lot of people that just lack...common home training. It is almost ridiculous when you see it.

Miami is an introverts dream though. I definitely enjoyed that I could go out and about and not be bothered.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post

particular ... about ... Miami

Human beings are rude creatures the world over, and for thousands and thousands, maybe millions, it doesn't matter what language, culture, color, country, climate, village, town or city, human beings are rude creatures.

Human beings are defensive, scammers, shysters, and cliquish the world over, and for thousands and thousands of years, maybe millions, it doesn't matter what language, culture, color, country, climate, village, town or city, human beings are defensive, scammers, shysters, and cliquish creatures.

Human beings live in Miami, for about only a hundred years. There is absolutely nothing particular about Miami rudeness, defensiveness, scammers, shysters, and cliquishness. On the contrary, you are expressing rather typical adolescent-minded complaints, common the world over, cyclical from generation to generation, doesn't matter what language, country or city, it's pretty much the same type of excuse for complaining, which is typically human.

What is particular about Miami is that it offers abundance of warm water and year-round warm temperatures on US soil, on the one hand, it plays a particular role as a hemispherical nexus in the global trade circuit, and it offers relative political stability on the other. Oh, and no state income tax.

The rest is commonplace human activity, like so many flies buzzing around ...

Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM

@bale002....keep telling yourself that. Many visitors have commented about how rude Miami is..and its true. I got so used to it that when I moved to another large city, I was a bit taken aback at people saying "hello". Then I remembered I was living in Miami for the past for years.

Yes, Miami has a lot of other positives...but the city as a whole is very rude. :shrug:

Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Hummm... I don't think it's rudeness, more like shyness. If you actually talk to them they are pretty nice people.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Hummm... I don't think it's rudeness, more like shyness. If you actually talk to them they are pretty nice people.
I do agree that sometimes, people soften up after they realize you are not a scammer or trying to take advantage of them. They are just not used to running into "nice" people with no evil intent.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
They are very rude DRIVERS, and shyness doesn't come into play on the road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami