Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times

Advertisements

I had a client that was in delray beach, set up times after nine am....from 117 th and bird to delray beach at that time about forty minutes. Anytime before wAs a nightmare.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
The areas of FTL and WPB are NOT suburbs of Miami. Though demographers and civil engineers will have much more formalized definitions of what constitutes a "suburb" of a city, I tend to think of a suburb as residential areas depending on a central city for shopping, work, etc. West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale are both large enough to be self-sufficient and support their own suburbs.

Two cities can be close together without losing their individual identities. Tampa/St. Petersburg and Minneapolis/St. Paul are examples of this. I don't hear others clamoring for St. Pete to be proclaimed a suburb of Tampa.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post
This explains everything. The Miami metropolitan area is all of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties. Miami is the principal city and everything are it's suburbs. Just like how the New York metropolitan area is a lot of New York state, New Jersey and Connecticut. NYC is the principal city and everything else are it's suburbs. It doesn't matter if you "feel" it, consider it or are used to it.
Ehh. I understand your point but its really not the way it is. Yes Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach make out the Southeast Florida Metro Area also known as Miami. First I would say no way is Palm Beach a suburb of Miami. Suburbs are not 60miles away from the main city. I see how one could say "I live in Weston a suburb of Miami" but people from Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale don't say they live in a suburb. Both those cities are big enough to hold their own and they both have their own suburbs.

Miami's true suburbs are Miami Shores, South Miami, Doral, Coral Gables, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Hialeah even though a fairly large city can be seen as a suburb.It is even hard to call Miami Beach a "suburb." But to call Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, or Palm Beach suburbs of Miami is difficult. Again I see your point plenty of people live in Weston, Coral Springs and Miramar and work in Miami, and I could agree calling those suburbs of Miami. But I don't think anyone call St. Pete a suburb of Tampa or Oakland of subrubs of San Fran or Newark a suburbs of New York.

Either way I don't see the problem its all part of the SE Florida Metro.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Ft.Lauderdale and Palm Beach are both different cities. Miami and everything past that (such as the Keys) is considered South Florida. I suppose Hollywood could be considered South Florida as well.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Most people consider the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Broward), not the keys "South Florida".

Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Ft.Lauderdale and Palm Beach are both different cities. Miami and everything past that (such as the Keys) is considered South Florida. I suppose Hollywood could be considered South Florida as well.
No. South Florida is Palm Beach county and south. Some people say the Keys too.
When speaking about the metro South Florida means the tri-county area. When speaking geographically South Florida also includes the keys, and southwest Florida too, Naples and Ft. Myers area.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
Gold Coast is a term that used to define the glitz and glamour of Palm Beach and Miami (i.e South Florida). Then in the early 80's the refugees came, the drug wars took over the streets, Time magazine comes out with "Paradise Lost" cover story, Miami Vice becomes a huge phenomenon and the "Treasure Coast" was created.

The truth is, South Florida is a broad term no matter how you slice it. It gets pulled as far north as Tampa Bay! There's people in Sarasota, Port Charlotte, Stuart, and Vero Beach that will sincerely tell you they live in South Florida. They're not necessarily wrong, but I think SE Florida really owns that term (i.e Miami). It's become a mega region of sorts that is very decentralized. Miami has the strongest pull, but Broward and Palm Beach have become huge cities on their own. They didn't grow because of Miami, but they definitely serve effectively as Miami suburbs in a lot of ways.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
I personally don't consider the tri county metropolitan area as "being one" and the other two counties being suburbs of Miami? WTF.

I've lived in Miami most of my life and have rarely ventured into broward and much less into PBC. Maybe if the metropolitan area was better interconnected by public transit like the other bigger metro areas seem to be, then yeah.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 AM

97 posts, read 140,941 times
The Tri County (Miami) is like the Tri State (NYC). It is how it is. It doesn't matter if you like it, consider it or feel it.

It doesn't matter if they are in different counties. Some of the NYC suburbs are in different STATES.

It doesn't matter how "big" some cities surrounding the main city/Miami/NYC/etc are or how far they are from the main city/Miami/NYC/etc. Someone said suburbs are not 60 miles away from the main city but, for example, Ridgefield, CT is a suburb of NYC and it's 60 miles from NYC.

It is how it is.

If you have any personal problems with Miami than, well, that's just your personal problem. It has nothing to do with how things are and how you personally feel doesn't have to do with it either.

EDIT: I would actually like someone to tell me how to delete this thread or how to edit the title of it. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
You can be as technical as you want and think you're right but at the end of the day when you tell someone that fort lauderdale and wpb are not major cities ànd that they are suburbs of miami they will look at you like you're crazy. This isnt even taking into consideration how you think it would be better to have policies being made with miami as the main city. That is a horrible idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami