Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times

Advertisements

Crime is everywhere. I live in Oakland, CA. We just made it to #4 in the top ten! Yippee!
San Jose, just a short drive to the south and who prided itself as the safest large city in the US is now the car theft capital of the US. Crime stats can be very misleading. Overall crime rates mean nothing. From the numbers, you'd think that CA's rural Mendocino County is a really safe place. Well the reality is that in Humbolt and Mendocino counties there are few police, few people, and plenty of places to hide. Large-scale alternative horticulturalists live and work in them thar hills and they simply never find the bodies.

From the numbers, you'd think Oakland is a horrible place to live. Well, in some ways it is but it's generally fairly safe. There are certain areas that you shouldn't go just like any other city. If you're not in a gang and you stay out of those areas, you're pretty safe as a rule. It's also true that some people simply beg for it. I'm originally from Houston. I had a buddy who was mugged and badly beaten 3 times in Houston's 5th ward. The question I had to ask of him on each occasion was simply, "WTF were you doing there at 11:00 in the night?" You can probably guess the answer. I lived in some bad areas in my youth and quickly learned that it takes two to tango. That's not always the case but usually the victim is at least partially responsible at some level. It would be great if it were safe to take a walk anywhere late at night but it isn't and common sense dictates the best way to avoid getting mugged is to not be in the wrong place. Wrong places are usually pretty easy to spot.

If you head out to the projects late at night to score some type of illegal activity, you'll probably find it. Anyway, I've only visited Miami a couple times and it seems pretty much like any other city. It's as safe as you make it. Many crimes revolve around weed. OK, many people believe that weed should be legal. I have no opinion on that but the reality is that it's a controlled substance and the people who sell it are breaking the law. By definition they are criminals and criminals tend to be violent. Hey, I didn't make the rules; That's just the way it works. Always take your own actions into account before you wander into a hornets nest.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 11-27-2007 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
sean taylor is dead at 24, Killed in his miami home by intruders
It's an inside job. I wouldn't call it your run of the mill armed robbery.

However, the title of this thread is incredibly misleading and, I rarely use this word, rosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami