Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which school is a better choice for a student majoring in Finance
FIU 14 70.00%
FAU 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 PM

84 posts, read 145,621 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a student at Broward College and I will be completing my AA in the summer. I plan on transferring to FIU or FAU to complete my bachelors in Finance. Which school do you think is better? I'm considering factors such as Alumni/networking in south florida after I graduate as well as which school has the better business program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
FIU has far a better business school (especially accounting) than FAU does.

As a note, I am not affiliated in any way with FIU and FAU.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:47 PM

1,049 posts, read 948,869 times
FIU is the better school all around, particularly the business school. FAU might have a few programs that are equal or better but I'd say FIU wins out.

I considered FAU, but FIU ultimately proved to be the better choice for me.

UM beats them both if you can afford it, transferring to any of those schools shouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I would love to go to UM but I just cant afford it. I'm constantly hearing good things about FIU's business program and it seems that FAU may be a few years away from being considered a top program.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM

515 posts, read 620,079 times
Deciding where you want to live/work after college will help guide your decision the most.

The education and reputation differences are marginal and if you decide to work in Boca or further north FAU is a much better choice. However, in Miami, FIU has a much larger alumni base within the workforce that will give you a common bond with future employers and collegues.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:18 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,910,161 times
Listen to my words very carefully. I know what I am talking about. Here is what I have to say:

1) UM's expensive tuition is not worth it. It's not Penn, Harvard, or Stanford. UM is between FAU/FIU and UF, but with the high tuition cost.

2) Consider UF. Maybe also FSU (close proximity to Atlanta's job market).

3) Your chance of getting a job in finance anywhere in Florida is slim if you don't have connection (most of us don't), especially without a graduate degree.

4) Don't be surprised three years down the road, you're working in customer service.

5) What's your current GPA? Is it over 3.5? If so, go to FAU's Honors Program (at least your resume will stand out a little among a sea of Bachelor's degrees).

6) Your main focus next year is on getting part time work/internship at a company where they may hire you full time after graduation.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,622,737 times
FAU has an excellent business school. And they have better rates of their students passing the CPA exam than FIU. I attended FIU

Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM

24,323 posts, read 26,697,469 times
I graduated from FAU with a business major and thought it was great considering the cost (in-state tuition). All of my friends found full-time jobs and this was during the recession.

The key is getting good grades, so you can get good internships. Most internships at reputable financial companies want to see a 3.5 GPA minimum. You also should have some extra-curricular activities. I would highly recommend joining Delta Sigma Pi, it's a professional business fraternity, the largest in the world and you have to be a business major.

There is a chapter at FAU (and I believe FIU too). I'm a brother at the FAU chapter (Zeta Phi) and it helps you out a lot with internships, resume work shops, and most importantly connections. Even though it's been years since I've graduated, I'm still getting messages from Facebook from brothers saying, "my manager is looking for a financial analyst or I'm a hiring manager and am looking for a financial analyst (example)." It also improves your resume because you can run to become the marketing director, president, vice president, treasurer etc. The pledging process is almost like having another class, but trust me it is worth it. You'll have a lot of fun and have contacts for life.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Listen to my words very carefully. I know what I am talking about. Here is what I have to say:

1) UM's expensive tuition is not worth it. It's not Penn, Harvard, or Stanford. UM is between FAU/FIU and UF, but with the high tuition cost.

2) Consider UF. Maybe also FSU (close proximity to Atlanta's job market).

3) Your chance of getting a job in finance anywhere in Florida is slim if you don't have connection (most of us don't), especially without a graduate degree.

4) Don't be surprised three years down the road, you're working in customer service.

5) What's your current GPA? Is it over 3.5? If so, go to FAU's Honors Program (at least your resume will stand out a little among a sea of Bachelor's degrees).

6) Your main focus next year is on getting part time work/internship at a company where they may hire you full time after graduation.

Good luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I graduated from FAU with a business major and thought it was great considering the cost (in-state tuition). All of my friends found full-time jobs and this was during the recession.

The key is getting good grades, so you can get good internships. Most internships at reputable financial companies want to see a 3.5 GPA minimum. You also should have some extra-curricular activities. I would highly recommend joining Delta Sigma Pi, it's a professional business fraternity, the largest in the world and you have to be a business major.

There is a chapter at FAU (and I believe FIU too). I'm a brother at the FAU chapter (Zeta Phi) and it helps you out a lot with internships, resume work shops, and most importantly connections. Even though it's been years since I've graduated, I'm still getting messages from Facebook from brothers saying, "my manager is looking for a financial analyst or I'm a hiring manager and am looking for a financial analyst (example)." It also improves your resume because you can run to become the marketing director, president, vice president, treasurer etc. The pledging process is almost like having another class, but trust me it is worth it. You'll have a lot of fun and have contacts for life.
Great advice guys! My GPA is a 3.4 right now and I'm working hard to get it higher, I really want to get into the Honors Program. @Timing2012 I have thought about UF but I have a young son so because of that I want to stay in South Florida at least until I graduate. UF is now offering an online Bachelors program but I don't know if thats a good idea, I really don't like online classes. @BMW335xi thanks for the insight, I will definitely look into some different organizations. I do have a connection with an executive at Bank United in Miami Lakes but unfortunantely they don't have an internship program at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami