Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times

Advertisements

Went there today and I have a lot of thoughts about it.

1. Jorge Perez contributed 40 million, Miami Dade 100 million plus contributors.

Sorry but really? At least 140 million and this is what we get?

2. The art....the artist Ai Wei WEI... I loved, loved loved! Mostly because his art is a cause and effect art, and it makes you reflect. He had rebar that killed 5196 school kids strengthen out and form earthquake waves. His wall of the death toll form that moved me greatly.

3. This is a ART place for the those that are mostly thinking artist,in other words...they dissent and thier art is thier form of expression. Which to me is a very powerful form of art. The violence collection was tough and an a inspiration, God to think of that brave artist in Brazil.... The bloody bundles.....shudders. That was one brave soul that spoke out.

4. It is priced fair if there will be other artists on display. But it is worth the price for a weekday if you have time and can take everything in. A lot of the Art is based on passion and stife.

5. Hubby hated it because anglo that he is, couldn't deal with, a. It is free and a lot of Miami is gonna be here. B. it is free and Art Basel is happening all over Miami. The ojey!!!! Was everywhere!

6. What was south freaking Miami thinking closing off US1 for their art thingie?M?M!M!M?We spent a hour in that mess!

Other then the above we will not spend 12 bucks to see it again unless a new exhibit is on display, but to me at least it is worth the little bit of culture we get in Miami.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 12-08-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
I was actually applying for a position there but I kindda lose interest.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Looking at going. Certain days it is free to Miami residents that is when I will go. Is it Miami residents or Miami-Dade residents?

I am not a big art person but did go to some galleries last night. It was fun. I usually go to the big art museums when I am traveling. Madrid, Paris, NY etc.. I will go but not very often to this one. I am more excited for the Science Museum

As for the "little culture we get in Miami." The last week was just one of the biggest and most important Art festivals in the world. Such a shame we get such little culture here. Want to see little culture move to Charlotte or Phoenix.

I am confused too. You said it was free but then you talked about the price. So was it free this week or not? All the galleries I went to in Wynwood, and by Midtown were free. I'm not into art enough to pay unless I am seeing world famous stuff.

You seemed to like it somewhat. So for $140,000,000 what else do you think is missing?

Thanks for the report.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
It was free for students or anyone going to school. At least that's what my classmates were saying.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I have not been in yet, but I do support Museum Park. I believe it will greatly help the urban core attract tourist that currently only go to South Beach.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Looking at going. Certain days it is free to Miami residents that is when I will go. Is it Miami residents or Miami-Dade residents?

I am not a big art person but did go to some galleries last night. It was fun. I usually go to the big art museums when I am traveling. Madrid, Paris, NY etc.. I will go but not very often to this one. I am more excited for the Science Museum

As for the "little culture we get in Miami." The last week was just one of the biggest and most important Art festivals in the world. Such a shame we get such little culture here. Want to see little culture move to Charlotte or Phoenix.

I am confused too. You said it was free but then you talked about the price. So was it free this week or not? All the galleries I went to in Wynwood, and by Midtown were free. I'm not into art enough to pay unless I am seeing world famous stuff.

You seemed to like it somewhat. So for $140,000,000 what else do you think is missing?

Thanks for the report.
This past weekend it was free for Miami Dade residents and it will be also free December 14th (second Saturday) from 1 pm to 6 pm. For Miami Dade Residents. The price for admission normally will be 12 bucks for adults, discounted rates of 8 bucks for seniors, military, students and children below three are free.

Quite frankly that is a decent amount for any place in Miami.

Maybe my comment of 140 million plus was made a bit out of context, because hubby was aggravated with the Oj yeh crowd that simply has no respect for personal space or manners in Miami and the Mayor that is threatening lay offs for county employees. It was just a reflection of we don't have money for essential services in the county but we have 100 million for essential a large box.

Thinking back the design is very nice since you can look out onto the bay all around you.

I would suggest going the next free day since it won't be as hectic and seeing the main exhibits with time.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM

67 posts, read 133,679 times
I got in for free last Saturday. The guy just asked me for my zip code (I'm a Dade resident, not a Miami one). It was pretty good, and it should be a better overall experience once the construction is finished. I also noticed how there wasn't any old art- everything was from the 20th century and beyond.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantShoegazer View Post
I got in for free last Saturday. The guy just asked me for my zip code (I'm a Dade resident, not a Miami one). It was pretty good, and it should be a better overall experience once the construction is finished. I also noticed how there wasn't any old art- everything was from the 20th century and beyond.
I sure it will be much better once all the landscaping is done the the lushness of the floating planters kicks in.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times
I would like to visit it .I think that is interesting to invest in art paintings as cuban art.Paintings from Wilfredo Lam in 70' don't have value but today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami