Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

And Miami does NOT have the best climate. I'm from South Florida and couldn't wait to get out of there because of the unbearable heat for 10 months of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

46 posts, read 113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And Miami does NOT have the best climate. I'm from South Florida and couldn't wait to get out of there because of the unbearable heat for 10 months of the year.
Oh,personally,I am fed up with cold ...So,I want ..Miami Heat...

Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
I have never been to USA ,but I plan to emigrate. Miami seems to have the perfect climate...I wonder why has it not become the #1 city in population too..? Why people still emigrate from abroad & from within USA to NYC,Chicago ,LA,the 3 worst places to live in USA from all aspects..?
Miami and southern Florida in general is a thin sliver of land between ocean and swamp. It is a harsh natural environment where no human beings lived in significant quantities until industrialization, in particular the railroad, motor vehicles, airplanes, and air conditioning.

The land has no natural resources worth mentioning except heat and water.

It is relatively far away from the centers of industrialization of the north Atlantic area, and its agriculture is limited. It is instead a center of consumption and trade, uniting people from the north seeking heat, on the one hand, and people from the south seeking political stability, on the other, in both cases many of whom bring their already accumulated wealth with them: people do not come to Miami to seek their fortunes, they come to Miami to enjoy them.

We have the discussed the details on this forum several times over the years, do a forum search using such terms as "Miami economy".

In short, the number of high paying jobs in Miami is limited; the average job-seeker has greater chances in NYC, Chicago, LA, Houston, Atlanta.

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 PM

46 posts, read 113,764 times
Indeed,Miami has the reputation of ...USA ( & perhaps the world) capital for retirees...It should be the paradise for the health care professions...

Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Many people can't take the summers, but truth be told Miami summers are no worse than most any place else in the country.

In the winter there is no better place in the continental US than South Florida. CA has nothing on us.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
People are yapping about the weather? Have you ever dealt with the people in South Florida? Ugh. Home of bad debt. Everything is a negotiation. Old people shoving carts into you at Publix and looking at you like, what are you looking at?

I've lived in Hawaii, Atlanta, Houston, South Florida, more than enough time in LA, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, boston, DC, and can tell you entirely without reservation, you can't find nastier people than you can in South Florida. It's an experience alright.

You don't live in South Flahraddah, you endure it. It's exhausting. Pit Bulls are nicer. Skip it. Dallas has a vibrant community, Chicago has a good business climate, Denver, Phoenix (parts), NYC, and even Houston are better.

Treat South Florida like most. Get a cheap flight, hotel, eat and drink your fill and then get the hell out of there. It's just too hard to describe. Look up my old rants about south Florida. You'll see. As I told a woman recently, look up my rants, move down there and reach out to me in 6 months. If I am wrong, I'll apologize to all.

Smart money says I won't be apologizing.

You can take the heat, the traffic, the housing, the international flavor. It's the people that will run you out.

Best wishes.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
I have never been to USA ,but I plan to emigrate. Miami seems to have the perfect climate...I wonder why has it not become the #1 city in population too..? Why people still emigrate from abroad & from within USA to NYC,Chicago ,LA,the 3 worst places to live in USA from all aspects..?
There is no 'perfect climate' - there are simply climates you and I (and everybody) like best. These will differ wildly. Miami (and I do love to visit) is very humid. As for someplace to live, that would be a deal-breaker for me. Everyone has their own preferences. Miami isn't exactly small, after all - it's in the top 10 metropolitan areas in the United States, so it's not like people are ignoring it as a place to live.

Then there's the rather obvious fact that climate is, at best, one factor (and often times not even a consideration) as to where people live.

Quote:
Oh,personally,I am fed up with cold ...So,I want ..Miami Heat...
So am I. I live up north. But the choice is not 'Miami or cold'. I find temperatures into the 90s perfectly tolerable - when it's a dry heat. And I find highs from the 60s on up very pleasant. A great many people like four distinct seasons (I am not one of them, though I do have a fondness for a classic northern autumn). I find the dry climates of the west coast, or southern west coast and inland and elevated (3000'-5000') to be ideal. But I couldn't live in Miami for other reasons, chief among them the topography. And the ocean does absolutely nothing for me, so that's not a factor.

Some people love the snow (I am not one of them, though). We have many Somalis and Hmong in Minnesota. Why? The founding immigrant populations found jobs here. Those who came after followed them. Why? They cared more about culture and community than weather, even though they came from very warm climates. And I can understand that.

But there are 20 million people in Florida - it will soon surpass New York and become the 3rd most populous state, and that population increases as one goes south in the state. So, clearly, people do like living in Florida. The reasons it hasn't matched New York, Chicago and Los Angeles is due to many reasons. One, all three cities had a large head start. And all three cities had a lot more than climate (though LA had and has that, too) drawing people to them.

And in the end, it is rather self-centered to be mystified as to why everyone doesn't share your preferences.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
I concluded that Homestead has the most affordable prices,in that " light green "area of it,as in the CDF map...With $160-200K I can buy a ( pre-owned..) "mansion",by Euro standards there .....How much would I pay for hurricane insurance..? Your opinion on Homestead..?
Homestead is not "Miami". Homestead is very suburban borderline rural. There are farms down there.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,286 times
I have to agree with Caleb,a good percentage of the people here are nasty,miserable humans who will take you down with them if you let them.Someone said the summers here are as bad as many places in the U.S but the difference is that in those places the heat lasts 2-3 months while in Miami it's an 8 month endurance event,that's what it is,everyone dealing with it and suffering while waiting for late October when the temperatures start going down.The thunderstorms those summer months add on to it,it's miserable.The traffic and crazy things people do in it get worse daily.Homestead is a pretty bad area overall with a newer area that's somewhat better but still nothing great.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Many people can't take the summers, but truth be told Miami summers are no worse than most any place else in the country.

In the winter there is no better place in the continental US than South Florida. CA has nothing on us.
I don't know, it's pretty nice here in Phoenix this time of the year. Yesterday was a high of 70, sunny, and 15% humidity. As for the summers here, they're no worse than a summer in Florida, and I've been through many decades of Florida summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami