Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times

Advertisements

I understand that people can't just get up and move. But man some of you guys just need to get out of here if you hate everything and everyone. I could never live somewhere where I would be so miserable. Find somewhere else. It will help everyone.
If you can't move stop being so negative and miserable and just deal with it. There is a lot worse things in life. What's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,554 times
Yawn. Puerto Rico and Jamaica has good climate. Why aren't people moving there?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,815 times
I'd have to think that the Miami area has reached it's population density limit. With about 12,000 people per square mile, you really can't fit too many more people here without having NY, Chicago, LA type high rise living. That's not going to happen, so that limits how many more people can move here.
Personally, I like the weather. 8 months a year of hot and humid has improved my health and I like being able to burn off about 1000 calories by just cutting my grass!

Old 12-13-2013, 01:15 AM

97 posts, read 141,077 times
It's because of dumb decisions and/or because Miami is still a relatively new city. I would go with both, but mainly the former.

2013 is about to come to an end and a huge part of the city is still what can be called "suburban," instead or urban, like a big city is suppose to be. Also, mass transit sucks and it still doesn't cover most of the city or even all the main stops. If one moves here, unless they are mostly or only going to be in the small areas where living without a car can happen with ease, then one would have to spend all the money that goes into having a car, which millions of people can't do or don't want to, especially when starting over, from scratch or something similar. That's one reason why the population is crazy in NYC.

Another dumb thing is having some big things located outside Miami, in the suburbs. That means you will need a car because there is no way to access the them via mass transit.

The Miami area is just crazy and dumb. Want to watch the Panthers play? Have to have a car because they play in the suburbs and there's no way to reach them via mass transit. Of course, im talking about in an easy, comfortable way. Want to live in the suburbs in Palm Beach and have to go to Miami? Have fun with the mandatory drive. The NY area also has the same distance between the city and the suburbs but at least they have great mass transit that let's them reach the city in reasonable time and ease.

Another reason is schools. The bes schools in Florida are in North Florida and Central Florida, supposedly. The best university in the Miami area is UM and I don't think it ranks in the top schools in the country. It's a different story in the NY area.

If NYC wasnt so expensive and rude, I would move there. I would love to move to Miami because I want to live in the big city but Miami doesn't have a decent mass transit and is not urban, so a car is necessary. Plus, its expensive. So, expensive to live, plus, a car. No thanks.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
I searched about all.. Very expensive,It does have winters & they say that the ocean is always cold. Miami is the only city in USA without winters...San Diego is also very expensive,houses cost 2X more than Miami... Honolulu is not mainland USA...Also,LA,SD,Hon,no guns,no death penalty...I see u live in Aventura..They say it is cosmopolitan,good quality people,leftwing...
Some people like winters. Just because you don't, don't assume all people feel like you.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
^^^So true, I met a woman years ago that lives in Minnesota, she said she could never live in Florida to hot and no snow. What makes this country so great is there is a climate for everyone.

To me Miami doesn't have the perfect climate, southern coastal California has the best climate IMO. It's not to hot nor to cold and it's close to the mountains if you want to play in the snow. yes the ocean isn't warm, for someone who is scared of the things in the water, not getting in the water because it's cold, is fine by me.

I really believe kids who grow up in Miami (Florida for that matter) miss out on so many things, you can only do when it's cooler. Like going to a real pumpkin patch, apple picking in a real orchard, picking out your Christmas tree while it's still in the ground, taking a slay ride, sledding, snowboarding, the fall leave change, the fall season, making a snowman, ice skating outdoors, the list goes on and on.

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-13-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post
It's because of dumb decisions and/or because Miami is still a relatively new city. I would go with both, but mainly the former.

2013 is about to come to an end and a huge part of the city is still what can be called "suburban," instead or urban, like a big city is suppose to be. Also, mass transit sucks and it still doesn't cover most of the city or even all the main stops. If one moves here, unless they are mostly or only going to be in the small areas where living without a car can happen with ease, then one would have to spend all the money that goes into having a car, which millions of people can't do or don't want to, especially when starting over, from scratch or something similar. That's one reason why the population is crazy in NYC.

Another dumb thing is having some big things located outside Miami, in the suburbs. That means you will need a car because there is no way to access the them via mass transit.

The Miami area is just crazy and dumb. Want to watch the Panthers play? Have to have a car because they play in the suburbs and there's no way to reach them via mass transit. Of course, im talking about in an easy, comfortable way. Want to live in the suburbs in Palm Beach and have to go to Miami? Have fun with the mandatory drive. The NY area also has the same distance between the city and the suburbs but at least they have great mass transit that let's them reach the city in reasonable time and ease.

Another reason is schools. The bes schools in Florida are in North Florida and Central Florida, supposedly. The best university in the Miami area is UM and I don't think it ranks in the top schools in the country. It's a different story in the NY area.

If NYC wasnt so expensive and rude, I would move there. I would love to move to Miami because I want to live in the big city but Miami doesn't have a decent mass transit and is not urban, so a car is necessary. Plus, its expensive. So, expensive to live, plus, a car. No thanks.

Miami will never have high rises or mass transit like NYC. Part of living in a warm weather place is you can be outdoors because you have more space. Therefore it will never have density like NYC. Its just not going to happen.

Now the STATE of FLORIDA's population will soon OUTGROW the STATE of NEW YORK's population the end of this year or next year's. Most of New York state outside of NYC has had huge population loss in recent decades due to industrial collapse.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM

46 posts, read 113,807 times
I found some gated communities in Homestead ( light green area..) with very affordable housing...

Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post

Just a few comments. First University of Miami is the HIGEST ranked university I'm the state. The panthers play out there because that's where the hockey fans are. Plenty of cities sports teams play out in the suburbs and don't have good transit options. Angels, NY Giants, NY Jets, NE Patriots, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Pistons....

Someone can easily take trial rail from Palm Beach into Miami. Miami is not going to be has urban for many reasons. It's a very very young city. It's pretty amazing what Miami is today compared to cities which are 50,100,150 to 200 years older. Miami is getting more dense and will continue to do so. But Miami for the most part expanded and grew when cars were an everyday thing in the 1920s real estate boom and beyond. Just like most sunbelt cities Miami is not NY or Boston but it is no Phoneix or Houston either.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 AM

46 posts, read 113,807 times
Why the passion for mass transit..? Cars are so affordable in USA & they offer quality transportation...If I want mass transit,I can stay in my ..country as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami