Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 AM

16 posts, read 25,524 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the thread title, i mean Ft. Lauderdale (not the airport) to the Government Center station downtown
I am currently working in downtown Miami right near the Federal Courthouse. Right now, I am staying in a hotel near the Miami airport. I have been looking for places to live for close to a month and I think the Ft. Lauderdale area is best for me BUT from what I read and have been told, the commute from FT Lauderdale to downtown is a nightmare. I will be working from 7am-3:30 PM. If I wanted to take public transportation, would the Tri-rail to the Metro rail to Government Center be the best way? How long of a trip is it? Are there other options?
Thanks

Last edited by bfpsu; 12-15-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,750,565 times
I did that trip a few times, when I had a project in delray beach and left from south Miami station. It took me a good 90 mins, including the delray trolley to the beach area.

If you are in the eastern corridor near a station of Ft. lauderdale I would count on at least an hour commute station to station. The only problems is the morning timing with tri rail but weekdays there is a train that begins at 5:10 am destination dadeland south.

Your biggest problem would simply be getting to the tri rail station to you area of residence if you want to just use public transportation. DH lives in cutler bay and works right in the same location as you, our problem is the heavy traffic northbound to reach dadeland station.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,428,135 times
Yeah I've done the Metrorail to Govt Center(from I guess it's still called Hialeah station??) and while I can't give an exact travel time, it did seem like a pretty long ride.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,947,788 times
Better to take the 95 express bus which goes non-stop from Fort Lauderdale Tri-rail station to downtown Miami on I-95 and the express lanes. First bus is 5:45 am and supposed to get there by 6:30. Getting to Fort Lauderdale Tri-rail station is the issue since it's really set up as a park-and-ride, though there are Tri-rail shuttles that go to downtown FLL.

However...if you live in FLL, the rents are not much better than many parts of Miami with much easier bus/train commutes (outside of Brickell and downtown, of course), so why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami