Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 PM

169 posts, read 309,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaonice View Post
RICH?! Maybe if I wasn't a single parent of two young children and had no bills....We are able to live comfortable but far from rich.
In inner city Miami that's rich. When filling paperwork the lowest it goes is 10k a year. We never made that much but that's what we put. By a Miami native pov, you're rich, it's a complement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
I think Miami is a great place to be a twenty something partier.

Raising kids? Nah.

Chongalicious - YouTube

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM

8 posts, read 24,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think Jacksonville sounds like it was good to you, why not go back there? It is one of the more affordable places in Florida...closer to SC for trips home, minimal hurricane threat...and most importantly, you liked it.

The rest of Florida is more in demand, so prices are higher and wages are lower. That entails more corruption, traffic, shady doings....not to say it's uninhabitable...but the quality of living is going to be higher on your budget in Jacksonville than it would be in MIA or Orlando...especially considering you have a young child.

CA would be much harder on your income.
Hello,
Thanks for your response. I am really leaning towards Orange Park Fl. Its only about 25 minutes away from Jacksonville and is more of what I am use to. I found a nice school there that I think would be good for my daughter. They also have very nice homes for very decent prices. My other problem with Jacksonville was the schools. All the good schools were in Ponte Verda, or St. Augustine which I definitely can not afford.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM

8 posts, read 24,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post
Bottom line is this. It's safe. If you want to live in the city, then there's the city itself and Miami beach because its pretty much part of the city, its urban and only a bridge away to the city. Others say there are some suburbs that are right next to the city that are also urban in the area right next to city I can speak on that though. If you want to live in the suburbs then you have many choices. You then decide whether you want to live close to the city, far or just how far.

Personally, with a family, I would go with coral gables. It's an amazing suburb, one of the best, if not the best, in Miami, and its super close to the city and the Beach (Miami beach).
I visited coral gables also. It didn't seem like many children were there. I got the "retired" feel...Also the homes seemed to all be very expensive

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

249 posts, read 419,395 times
Quote:
I visited coral gables also. It didn't seem like many children were there. I got the "retired" feel...Also the homes seemed to all be very expensive
Not a place for retirees, just a lot of older people since its a wealthy area.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 39,078 times
I've noticed the term "rich" and "expensive" being used, but there's little context. It's all relative. I would recommend you take a look at a cost of living calculator (Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney) to get an idea of the cost differentiators.

My wife and I have lived, in the last 4 years, Charlotte, DC, Seattle, and Minneapolis. The latter 3 cities makes Miami looks like a bargain location, while Charlotte and Miami are pretty close (surprisingly).

As far as crime, I'm from Memphis, so ANY place seems safer to me. But it's all about knowing your location, where to travel, and safety precautions no matter where you live.

Last edited by Memphis_All_Day; 01-06-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for your response. I am really leaning towards Orange Park Fl. Its only about 25 minutes away from Jacksonville and is more of what I am use to. I found a nice school there that I think would be good for my daughter. They also have very nice homes for very decent prices. My other problem with Jacksonville was the schools. All the good schools were in Ponte Verda, or St. Augustine which I definitely can not afford.

Orange Park, although nice is quite boring in my opinion.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:31 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
I really need some information about Miami. I am from a very small town in south Carolina where there are only about 4 stop lights and potholes from trucks passing through. I moved to Jacksonville fl for about two years after I graduated high school and I loved it, but I think it was because I had never been outside of south Carolina before. I lived in an apartment right at the intersection of baymeadows and southside blvd. it was nice, I was close to EVERYTHING including the avenue's mall. it wasn't until AFTER I moved back to south carolina, that I found out that Jacksonville was a dangerous place. God (or whoever you believe in) was watching over me during my late night walks down ss blvd. Anyway, I am looking to move again (permanently) to either florida or California. I have two children, one is almost 4 and will be starting school soon, she will be in private school. florida is much cheaper than California but I hear nothing but negative things about it. I visited Miami with my friend for about 2 weeks and I loved it (except the toll roads, which I later found a way to avoid ). I was told that Miami and Orlando are the only places in florida that I will be able to find exceptional schools. Then I spoke to a Miami native (some thuggish guy with a giant dreadlock at the top of his head, that approached me in walmart) he seemed to be warning me away from Miami and talking about how easy it is to get lost in a bad neighborhood...and how bad the crime is there. The area that I was in was called sw kendall. it looked nice to me..i was right across the street from dadeland mall. I would just like some HONEST information about Miami, what areas to avoid, should I move there, is it expensive?....I am a single mother, I make a little over 50k a year

Born and raised in Miami, lived in W. Kendall for over 30yrs, and now live in the Greenville, SC area for the past 3 years...I couldn't wait to leave Miami and move here. IMHO, don't move there...you WON'T be happy! I am the happiest I've ever been with living here. I don't miss MIA at all!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
Miami is HUGE. To me its more like several (many ) neighborhooods put together equal Miami. Just like Boston is a bunch of towns put together make up the " Boston area"

I lived there for college and had the time of my life. I think it is great to visit , but not to live.

Yea you have the clubs and beach but that gets boring real quick.

It is almost like living in South America, i don't consider it living in the US.

You need a CAR for everything ! Public transportation is the worst and since Miami is sooo hot there isn't a good reason to wait for a bus that may or may not come.

People that KNOW miami know that 90% is ghetto !!! Carol City stand up !!

I just feel like it is expensive , jobs don't pay, everything is far and it is sooo DAMN HOT !

I moved back up north as soon as I graduated.

Don't get me wrong... I am going to Miami next week ( Kendall) to visit family and hang out. I love the beach, cuban food, the restaurants and I also like to go to Homestead alligator farm and grab a shake from Robert's on my way and just admire the nature and " nothingness" and solitude one feels down. I'm coming from NYC where its always loud !

It is rather boring to live IMO

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
It is very expensive, but 90% is ghetto? Uhhh-uhmmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami