Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM

167 posts, read 246,391 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Im a 22 year old student on a budget who will completely depend on myself once I move out, currently living in Broward. Im planning on moving to the city because it seems thats where young students and professional should be, and because Im hoping on not having to depend on a car because car costs are too high!

My income would be just a regular no AA or Bachelor at the very least, hopefully Ill score a decent paying job.

Ive read forums and articles and it seems locals are torn in the middle. Some say it's totally possible to live in the city without a car, while others say its not possible or very tough to do so.

Just some more detail that I think is important to share after reading the forums and articles:

I have no problem with the heat. Walking or waiting for the bus in the heat.

I have no problem riding the bus or train for 30 minutes to an hour.

So, do you think it's possible or even a smart move? Should I move to the city?

Im considering moving to another city like Orlando or Tampa. Or even out of the state. The only problem with that is that I only have close family here in the Miami area. I have family in Tampa and Jersey but I wouldnt say we're that close.

Sorry if this post is all over the place. Sadly, I have too much things in my head right now and can't concentrate.

Thanks for any future replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
What City are we talking about in here?

Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowork View Post
I think .Student moving to the city on a budget according New York City can be one of the most expensive places in the United States to spend a day, let alone live. The price of nearly everything is higher than in the suburbs or in many other cities. But despite its high costs, there are ways to live here frugally if you plan ahead and think carefully. You can't avoid spending money when you live in New York, but you can always spend it with prudence.
Thanks. Do you have any information for Miami?

And yeah, Im sure its possible for a student on a budget, but you never know. Plus, there are a lot of "horror" stories about Miami and its area, although some say its either a lie or exaggerated, while others are obvious that are not true/exaggerated, and lastly there are others that I know arent true because I live here lol. So, I would really like to make sure.

This is an article everyone must read, and the 10 things you should know about riding the bus in LA link inside. It tells you exactly why people here, especially on forums exaggerate so much on things like using public transportation.

Get On The Bus: How Miami Is Like L.A. | WLRN

Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
What City are we talking about in here?
The city as in Miami.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
Hello all. Im a 22 year old student on a budget who will completely depend on myself once I move out, currently living in Broward. Im planning on moving to the city because it seems thats where young students and professional should be, and because Im hoping on not having to depend on a car because car costs are too high!

My income would be just a regular no AA or Bachelor at the very least, hopefully Ill score a decent paying job.

Ive read forums and articles and it seems locals are torn in the middle. Some say it's totally possible to live in the city without a car, while others say its not possible or very tough to do so.

Just some more detail that I think is important to share after reading the forums and articles:

I have no problem with the heat. Walking or waiting for the bus in the heat.

I have no problem riding the bus or train for 30 minutes to an hour.

So, do you think it's possible or even a smart move? Should I move to the city?

Im considering moving to another city like Orlando or Tampa. Or even out of the state. The only problem with that is that I only have close family here in the Miami area. I have family in Tampa and Jersey but I wouldnt say we're that close.

Sorry if this post is all over the place. Sadly, I have too much things in my head right now and can't concentrate.

Thanks for any future replies.
So you said the following because I'm hoping on not having to depend on a car because car costs are too high! and you pick the worst cities in Florida regarding mass transit to move to?

You said you are a student so aren't you in college right now? If so which one since you live in Broward. You also don't give enough info regarding what you are looking for & how much can you afford.
Criteria would be :
Your current college & how far away are you from having a degree?
Your budget to rent
We can't answer without knowing these facts.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Miami, Orlando and Tampa are the worst cities in Florida in mass transit? I would be surprised. What's the best then, Jacksonville? That's all that comes to mind.

I'm a student at BC.

Looking for the best place for a student on a budget to live. Preferably where one can live without a car.

My budget is the lowest price for a safe area. Here in Miami it's 500-600 or so for rent. I have seen quite a few places, where its supposedly safe,in that range in the Beach and Little Havana.

I just started college.

Oh, and thanks for the reply

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
So you said the following because I'm hoping on not having to depend on a car because car costs are too high! and you pick the worst cities in Florida regarding mass transit to move to?
???????
It would seem to me that Miami is really the ONLY city in Florida with a mass transit system (e.g., not just busses), albeit a limited one. Fort Lauderdale "kind-of-sort-of" has a mass transit system with it's Tri-Rail (more appropriately regarded as part of Miami's system?), but really nowhere in Florida can compare with Miami.

OP: You will probably end up having a roommate or renting a room to make it work out financially. Even them, don't expect to live in Brickell or even Downtown. Also, if you're going to FIU it would be exceedingly difficult, but the following schools have better options in terms of public transportation: UM, Miami-Dade downtown and Interamerican campuses, Barry Univ., Johnson and Wales.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
???????
It would seem to me that Miami is really the ONLY city in Florida with a mass transit system (e.g., not just busses), albeit a limited one. Fort Lauderdale "kind-of-sort-of" has a mass transit system with it's Tri-Rail (more appropriately regarded as part of Miami's system?), but really nowhere in Florida can compare with Miami.

OP: You will probably end up having a roommate or renting a room to make it work out financially. Even them, don't expect to live in Brickell or even Downtown. Also, if you're going to FIU it would be exceedingly difficult, but the following schools have better options in terms of public transportation: UM, Miami-Dade downtown and Interamerican campuses, Barry Univ., Johnson and Wales.
Thanks for the reply .

I've done some research and found studio apartments in little Havana and the beach in the 500-650 range on Craigslist, zillow and another app but I forgot the name. Idk how real they are though.

Does anyone know If there are any studio apartments in a safe area in that range or if its common?

Between little havana and the beach I'm leaning more towards the beach. I've read LH is safe and middle class but I still seem to prefer the beach. I think it's completely safe and nice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Where I live doesn't have to have mass transit or be liveable without a car, as long as living there costs the same or less than living in Miami or the beach without a car. If I'm going to live in the Miami area I'm going to live the city or the beach to save money on car costs because they are way too high here. Unless I get a high enough paying job in the suburbs that allows me to depend on a car and pay for all the costs comfortably.

I would be going to Dade college.

And yeah, from what I know the Miami metro is the only metro with an actual mass transit system in Florida, idk about Jacksonville though. And obviously the mass transit is within the city. No one expects nor wants mass transit in the suburbs in palm beach, Broward or Dade.

I've read and have been told the Orlando area costs less than here. Is it true? Also, would the amount I save in Orlando depending on a car cost more, less or the same than living in the city or beach here?

Thanks again for everyone's help. This is really helping me out.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
I used to go to Broward College in Hollywood and Davie and I would urge you not to move to Miami unless you are on the Northern outskirts and even that will be multiple bus rides.

1. Miami rent is more expensive than Broward rent.

2. There are plenty of young people in Broward. Try Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas or Riverwalk.

3. You will probably have to take three buses to get to Broward.

Just I don't suggest this at all. I lived in NMB near Aventura when I was driving to BC and I would spend anywhere from 30 minutes-1 hour getting to campus. It will be hours if you take the bus from Dade. I lived with my mom so it was worth it.

If I were you I would find a nice studio or 1 bedroom $900 or less per month near Riverwalk or Las Olas or maybe near your BC campus and pick up a job at one of the busier bars or restaurants. You will meet a ton of people your age who are also in school and you will make friends without trying. Rent will be much cheaper this way also.

I was in your situation from 2010-2012 so I know what its like to live in Miami without a car and try to go to Broward.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
Thanks for the reply .

I've done some research and found studio apartments in little Havana and the beach in the 500-650 range on Craigslist, zillow and another app but I forgot the name. Idk how real they are though.

Does anyone know If there are any studio apartments in a safe area in that range or if its common?

Between little havana and the beach I'm leaning more towards the beach. I've read LH is safe and middle class but I still seem to prefer the beach. I think it's completely safe and nice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Where I live doesn't have to have mass transit or be liveable without a car, as long as living there costs the same or less than living in Miami or the beach without a car. If I'm going to live in the Miami area I'm going to live the city or the beach to save money on car costs because they are way too high here. Unless I get a high enough paying job in the suburbs that allows me to depend on a car and pay for all the costs comfortably.

I would be going to Dade college.

And yeah, from what I know the Miami metro is the only metro with an actual mass transit system in Florida, idk about Jacksonville though. And obviously the mass transit is within the city. No one expects nor wants mass transit in the suburbs in palm beach, Broward or Dade.

I've read and have been told the Orlando area costs less than here. Is it true? Also, would the amount I save in Orlando depending on a car cost more, less or the same than living in the city or beach here?

Thanks again for everyone's help. This is really helping me out.

Dade college...hmm okay. Avoid Overtown and track the bus wisely. Work at a bar or restaurant. Buses still blow here and all of the Dade campuses are not accessible from the beach withou 1 or 2 bus rides. I think there is a downtown campus so you could try to rent around there. $500-$650 you will require a roomie or live in the hood. Pick your choice...that how Dade is. You can find a studio in Plantation for $600 but thats not really a happening area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami