Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,088 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I was just offered a job transfer to Miami and while it sounds great, I'm not so sure. I am a 29 year old Union worker and I do good for myself here in NJ but a change of pace and scenery (not to mention warmer weather) sounds ideal. I live with my girlfriend who works as well.

I am a little concerned because I make $43 an hour here and with over time typically clear $100k a year. I realize that the cost of living is lower in Florida and for that reason making $21-$29 an hour (Florida rates for what I do) seems relevant. But how true is that?

We are not partyers and don't do much as far as night life. We are pretty active outdoors and would probably spend a lot of our time exploring, at the beach or just at home. We have no kids and no student loans or huge debts/car payments. With that said, based on my salary alone ($21-29 an hour/varies by job) would we be able to live comfortably? We don't need anything too upscale but refuse to live in a dump or any place with a high crime rate. Any nice and somewhat quiet suburbs would be a help. Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
Well what is the cost of living in New Jersey exactly? Some would say the cost of living in Miami is pretty high. I wish I made $21 an hour...

Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Have you visited and stayed in Miami for any length of time? Those looking to come "just for a change of scenery" are often the ones who will be complaining on this forum months later.

If you were getting promoted in terms of salary, I would look at it closely. If you enjoyed Miami and had a firm grasp of what the area is like, I would look at it closely. If you're taking a cut in salary, and you have no clue about the Miami area, don't do it.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
The cost of living is higher than the state of Florida would like you to believe. Your insurance will be higher, especially home insurance if you buy. Your electric bill will be much higher, as AC runs year round.
The costs on your time will be high to. Getting anywhere by car takes a while and you'll always be in traffic. The population density is very high, 12,000 people per square mile, so everywhere you go, you'll have to wait in line. Grocery stores, restaurants... even getting a haircut takes a long time since there's always 3 or 4 people ahead of you when you walk in.
Like others have said, you'd be wise to spend some time here. Long enough to do most of the routine things in life to see if you can accept the Miami version of routine. Also, try and do it during June, July or August. If you can stand the weather in those months, the rest is easy.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Not sure if Miami is going to be much cheaper if at all cheaper than NJ and taking a huge paycut too. Does not sound like it. I can tell you for sure Miami is no where near 40-50% cheaper than NJ.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I wouldn't recommend moving anywhere and taking a 50% paycut! And you call that a good job? Sounds like an awful career move. Granted, Florida pays less than NJ...so if your goal is to live in Florida or Miami or wherever this job is, it's a sacrifice so you weigh the drawbacks. But if it's just for a change of scenery...I would try to get a transfer where they pay difference isn't so stark. Much less to overprices South Florida.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
You're making a very good income in NJ. Use some of it to come down here on your next vacation. Come down when the weather is terrible there so you have a break from it. Then go back home and continue on with your job paying you what it does. I know I'd be much happier in Miami if I could escape to other parts of the world three or four times a year.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM

600 posts, read 753,882 times
Taking such a drastic pay cut in salary to come down here is definitely not worth it. That would be a major step backwards in your career.

You mentioned that you had a union job. Well, that usually equates to job security. You're probably not going to get that in a right to work state like Florida.

Like other posters stated, visit Miami during the summer months, when the weather is bad, first.

If I were you, I would look at other places with similar weather that do not require such a drastic pay cut.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 PM

167 posts, read 246,409 times
I would use some of that huge chunk of money you make, visit here, spend some time here and know for yourself exactly how everything else. When it comes to these things, the only thing that counts is what you experience yourself. At least when it comes to these forums, or at least the Miami section of these forums, people exaggerate a lot, are very particular and negative Nancies.

Just some possible useful info, I have an uncle who is from the NYC area, outside the city, Long Island, I believe, who lives in the suburbs of Miami, and he says he likes it here more than over there.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrustboy View Post
Hey all! I was just offered a job transfer to Miami and while it sounds great, I'm not so sure. I am a 29 year old Union worker and I do good for myself here in NJ but a change of pace and scenery (not to mention warmer weather) sounds ideal. I live with my girlfriend who works as well.

I am a little concerned because I make $43 an hour here and with over time typically clear $100k a year. I realize that the cost of living is lower in Florida and for that reason making $21-$29 an hour (Florida rates for what I do) seems relevant. But how true is that?

We are not partyers and don't do much as far as night life. We are pretty active outdoors and would probably spend a lot of our time exploring, at the beach or just at home. We have no kids and no student loans or huge debts/car payments. With that said, based on my salary alone ($21-29 an hour/varies by job) would we be able to live comfortably? We don't need anything too upscale but refuse to live in a dump or any place with a high crime rate. Any nice and somewhat quiet suburbs would be a help. Thanks in advance for the feedback!
I would seriously think twice about taking an OVER 50% paycut to move to South Florida. While there is no state income tax, property taxes are similar to what you'll pay in NJ. Car insurance, housing, gas, groceries, food, everything is about on par with NJ. Also y'all don't have sales tax on clothing and we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: