Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,016 times

Advertisements

I have the money to invest in the each building in the luxury areas of Miami. My question is if I can live off investment. I quit my job, and just invest. I'd focus on renting apartments for people, and buying pre-construction condos, as well as renting commercial rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Of course it's possible if you have enough money to buy enough properties and of course assuming the rental market stays strong. With th amount of buildings going up in Brickell I wouldn't bank of it being as high as it is today for rental prices.

But honestly if you need to ask on a forum like this you probably shouldn't do it.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggonzaga View Post
I have the money to invest in the each building in the luxury areas of Miami. My question is if I can live off investment. I quit my job, and just invest. I'd focus on renting apartments for people, and buying pre-construction condos, as well as renting commercial rooms.
It depends on how much capital you invest and your own living expenses.

For properties in prime areas, you have to buy cash to generate a 2.5%-4% yield, sort of like investment grade bonds, except for greater chance of long-term capital appreciation.

For properties in sub-prime areas, yields of 8%-10%, possibly even higher, are possible, less whatever interest expense on mortgage debt.

Capital appreciation, if any, would not come for quite a while, so you would have to live off the yield.

Since you mentioned prime areas, assume a yield of 3%, for example, and $100,000 per year in living expenses, then you would have to invest $3.33M. Or perhaps you could live on $50,000 per year, so a capital investment of $1.66M, etc.

So adjust the math for your situation. If you are mortgaging any of these properties in prime areas, then your yield could be well below 3%, and it may not even have positive cash flow, unless you are talking about large commercial properties like warehouses or big-box retail where construction costs per square foot are a lot less than residential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
But honestly if you need to ask on a forum like this you probably shouldn't do it.
Good point. Assuming the OP is a foreigner, the only thing relevant to the Miami forum that he may not know is that yields on prime (coastal) area real estate in the US, including Miami, are typically around 3%, maybe 4% if the investor can eliminate agency and other fees. But, indeed, he should be consulting a specialty forum or commercial real estate investment advisor.

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
If you have to ask, probably not.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 AM

224 posts, read 321,580 times
this will not end well (tm).

i think in the areas with insane price jumps in the past year (miami beach, ft. lauderdale, etc.), the music's going to stop fairly quickly and the market will start to flatten out. will probably remain there for a while.

other areas based more on reality will continue to appreciate at a more realistic pace, based more on fundamentals.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,313 times
buy houses or a whole apartment building in a non-luxury area

Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
It can be done but don't think that it will be worry free, problem free and require little of your time.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
buy houses or a whole apartment building in a non-luxury area
Yep. Better yields, not as crazy prices, rent doesn't fluctuate as much and rental demand is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami