Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM

471 posts, read 847,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami is an extremely boring place unless you are drunk or drugged out. I have had more fun in rural towns than I ever did in Miami.
Must be why celebrities and tourists from all over the world want to live or visit there! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

34 posts, read 85,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Ugh,Florida is surrounded by 3 sides of ocean.Miami or Broward are not the only beach sites to go to unless you like being suffocated by other people.

While I haven't been to the beach in my new area yet people are telling me Clearwater beach is awesome,I need to go inspect it.

But when you are ready to sit on the porch let me tell you how much greener and more peaceful (in certain areas) it is.With forrests........yeah real forrests not just just a couple left over pine trees and planted palm trees.

To each your own though.Personally I'm happy living in a area diverse with people,houses half of cost in Miami,wages not so different and taxes&insurance half of Miami.

Alot more people say hello and smile here also.
Having experienced rural living in the mountains of Tennessee and in the lakes and forrests of Minnesota and Northern New York, let me tell you, the rural lifestyle just isn't for me.

And that's before you factor in the lack of suitable work for a financial professional. That said, there is one very good firm in your area, Raymond James. Oh, and Clearwater Beach is pretty nice, but I strongly prefer the beaches of SE Florida.

For me, there's NYC, MIA, LA, and a whole bunch of stuff in between.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,686,534 times
Can someone explain what is so great about the beach? Is it not better to take your boat in the ocean than just sit and roast on a crowded strip of sand letting the sun destroy your skin and age you so you will look like the other people around you who have done it for years? I have lived near the ocean much of my life, but never saw the big deal of "beaches". Perhaps it's interesting on a natural coast but Miami Beach is disgusting and has no place to park. Lie on that beach and you may get run over by some city-owned vehicle.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM

670 posts, read 1,738,301 times
Default True, but....

Quote:
Can someone explain what is so great about the beach? Is it not better to take your boat in the ocean than just sit and roast on a crowded strip of sand letting the sun destroy your skin and age you so you will look like the other people around you who have done it for years? I have lived near the ocean much of my life, but never saw the big deal of "beaches". Perhaps it's interesting on a natural coast but Miami Beach is disgusting and has no place to park. Lie on that beach and you may get run over by some city-owned vehicle.
_______ You do get to see the topless European girls walking on by.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,266,487 times
Quote:
I never "got" that either. But as Jimmy Buffet Said " Watching the sun bake all those tourists covered with oil...." So maybe it is a tourist thing? When I lived in S.E. FL I only went to the beach when company came and insisted on going and that is what they did...sat and baked. I'll never get it either, but hey to each there own.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,403,495 times
I am with ya. I actually avoid the sun, because I want to keep my skin nice. But I know I did enough damage already as a kid that will get me when I am older. I have a similiar desire, but to the ocean and mountains. I have no desire to get in the water or sit on a sandy beach. But a boat ride in the Pacific that looks at the beautiful mountains of California, now that is beauty.

To answer your question, I think it has something to do with what people don't have. When I vacation I don't go to a beach destination (as I live here) I want to go to the Mountains or the snow to get away from our almost year round heat now. I think for those people living in the snow they want to get way from the cold snow and so they want the sandy, ocean and palm trees.

You know what is funny, is that many people that I know don't go to the beach for one reason or the other. Yet we are calmed at knowing its there if we wanted to go. I don't think I could live in a place that was land locked. When I lived in Tally that was far enough from the ocean for me.

Quote:

Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,442,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am with ya. I actually avoid the sun, because I want to keep my skin nice. But I know I did enough damage already as a kid that will get me when I am older. I have a similiar desire, but to the ocean and mountains. I have no desire to get in the water or sit on a sandy beach. But a boat ride in the Pacific that looks at the beautiful mountains of California, now that is beauty.

To answer your question, I think it has something to do with what people don't have. When I vacation I don't go to a beach destination (as I live here) I want to go to the Mountains or the snow to get away from our almost year round heat now. I think for those people living in the snow they want to get way from the cold snow and so they want the sandy, ocean and palm trees.

You know what is funny, is that many people that I know don't go to the beach for one reason or the other. Yet we are calmed at knowing its there if we wanted to go. I don't think I could live in a place that was land locked. When I lived in Tally that was far enough from the ocean for me.

I agree doggiebus, it has everything to do with growing up and living in the cold and snow. While we do have a few sandy beaches where I'm from, our summer beach days were limited.
Personally for me, I've always lived on the ocean. I have to be near it/on it or in it. It calms my soul and brings me peace. I too could never be land locked.
It's been almost 2 yrs now that I've lived here and I still can't get enough of the tranquility of the beach, however my beach is pretty private here in LBTS. The only people out here are my neighbors here in my bldg. I couldn't stand over-crowded dirty beaches.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,291,180 times
Quote:
My wife feels the same way. She comes form China and there WHITE skin is considered beautiful and the darker you are the worse you look. No doubt that is because darker people are people who work out in the fields and do manual labor. I understand the feeling was the same in the US a long time ago.
She wouldn't think of going out in the sun for the purpose of getting dark.
I enjoy sailing but I don't do it too often anymore. I was born here and I've probably only been to the beach 10-15 times in my entire life. I won't really miss it when I finally get out of here.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM

34 posts, read 85,094 times
Quote:
Can someone explain what is so great about the beach?
I don't go to the beach to bake in the sun. I really love to swim in the ocean. Long Island has some really nice beaches, but the water is too cold.

It's also an opportunity to see and be seen. There aren't very many places where it's socially acceptable for a man to walk around without a shirt on. I spend a lot of time in the gym... what would the point be if I couldn't advertise on occasion?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,080 times
Good point. Just started visiting this site. I have to say I'm frustrated here and actively looking to move also. It's nice to visit but financially challenging to live. Interesting to see others share the same sentiment. Good point though. Glad your happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami