Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM

131 posts, read 185,368 times

Advertisements

I found these forums only recently, and they've been a great help...so thanks in advance. I've lived in St. Louis for about 10 years (prior to that, I grew up in Atlanta), and while I enjoy the city, I've always hated the cold...and I can't stand the winter anymore! There's still a chance I may stay if I find a great place...but it would be ideal to move to a warmer climate. (I can handle heat of mostly any degree...just not cold!).

I have several limitations, though. I'm on work- and medical-related disability, so my income is limited (I get more than just SSDI, but still). I also just recently visited Albuquerque and loved it, but I have lupus, and the high altitude there combined with the bright sun set off a major flare. (I've never had such big problems with the sun in St. Louis...I wasn't diagnosed til I'd almost left Georgia).

Also, because of my medical problems I'm not always able to drive. So having at least the bare necessities within walking distance would be high on my list (and doctors that are somewhat accessible, although driving distance for those is fine).

I've heard Miami is somewhat expensive...and to get down to details, I plan to rent, and my maximum would be $800-900 a month (that's really stretching it). I am very very careful with money otherwise, don't go to the mall (except to look sometimes!) or eat out very much, only maybe at cafes.

Sorry for the length of this post! But I guess I'm more limited than I thought. That's pretty much what I "need"...as for what I "want"...as I mentioned, giving up this winter and being able to go outside most every day would be priceless.

I do have a (stereotypical?) mental picture of Miami as having a lot of image-conscious women (in bikinis, etc) and not a lot of "thinkers." I'm still young (30s) and not ugly (I'll give myself that, haha), but much more the natural type prone to cover up and wear very little makeup. I wouldn't have to find a lot of like-minded people, but I enjoy things like creative writing and photography...so being able to find a small group that gets together for those things would be great.

The diversity of Miami also sounds great...I don't speak much Spanish, although I understand some...but that's a positive factor in my book.

Thanks so much for any opinions...and of course neighborhood suggestions (I've been reading the threads, and I saw Bricknell mentioned as a nice one...though I don't know about cost).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
I am sorry to post this, but I am going to be the blunt hammer on this for you.

On your budget you can't live in Miami with any semblance of a life that you would want. Rent is way higher then that, let us begin with anything decent (meaning not gettho or efficiency ) at least 1000 to 1200 a month. you can thank the big investment banks for that one also.

Miami is a car city, with very little public transportation. We bought our house which was ideal because it was on a inner loop bus route but then again we paid top dollar.

Miami is very diverse, but it is IN YOUR FACE, diverse so you have to deal with a lot of culture shock.

I would visit first and then think about it. I am only being honest because I would hate for you to make the wrong decision.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
In regards to creative people, Miami has lots of those. No not all women are super models and in the suburbs things are not AS nearly pretentious but they can be.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I echo Cubanchic's sentiments regarding Miami unless you want to live in a studio apartment in East Little Havana which is close to markets and buses.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Your rent budget is too low for a decent area. I guess you might be able to find something small and old in Miami Beach.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM

131 posts, read 185,368 times
Thanks very much to you all. No, I'm not bothered by bluntness...I appreciate knowing what I would be getting into. I'm actually learning St. Louis is a really reasonable place to live, despite the weather...so I may end up staying...and maybe visiting Miami once I save money or go back to work! Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
Culture shock to the 10th degree for sure, my son is in miami going to school and he is half cuban but speaks little spanish and he has really struggled with the culture shock. I totally agree with CC you need to come
and visit before you make a big move from St.Louis.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
On your budget, and with working not a major concern, why don't you check some of the gulf states? Mobile, Alabama or Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss. have very warm summers and livable winters. (some cold spells, but nothing extended and no snow for the most part) The cost of living is much lower and you should be able to find a decent place in your price range.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 AM

529 posts, read 1,144,816 times
its possible. public transporation is available if you live around central areas. i dont know what the first poster was talking about. i am just good at budgeting and living a humble life. a lot of people get disability and survive. as long as you dont have any vices

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Brickell be out for the OP. She may be able to find a tiny studio in South Beach in her budget. The OP might look into a roommate situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami